Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 30, 2014, 03:58:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
Print
Author Topic: More Talk of Comics  (Read 32987 times)
jebreject

« Reply #425 on: Jul 19, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »

yeah dude, they totally gutted v for vendetta, took all the power out of it

the book has a lot of interesting things to say about anarchy and fascism and the film was just an anti-bush polemic

but the film format is different from the comic book format. like for one, v for vendetta had to be shortened quite a bit and a lot of second-characters got cut from the movie. i think people should just look at the movie as it's own entity. imagine there were no comic book, would you still think it was a bad movie? really?

I really can't answer that question. I certainly wouldn't think it was important. Or that it has anything particularly interesting to say. Entertaining, sure, but we've no shortage of entertaining films.

I also don't see why I should look at it separately from the graphic novel. I mean, when thinking about film adaptations of novels or comics, yeah, I try to think about it from the perspective that, you know, films and novels both have different limitations and films should be judged as films, not simply against the text they are adapting, etc. But I think it's totally fair game to look at a film adaptation and condemn it for completely changing the meaning of the text it's adapting. And I mean, I think it's actually fine to change the meaning, if you're doing it in an interesting way, maybe as a critique on the original work. But there's nothing particularly interesting about what the film version of V for Vendetta has to say.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #426 on: Jul 19, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »

And plus, they didn't have to mess up V for Vendetta like they did... it isn't that it was shorter, or some characters were different... they just totally left out a huge over-arching theme and the ending. It's an unnecessary butchery.

sassymcassface

« Reply #427 on: Jul 20, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

on a comic related note:

one of my friends helped write the play version of the graphic novel of mr punch by neil gaiman

here's an article on it.

http://www.latimes.com/theguide/performing-arts/la-gd-perf17-2008jul17,0,4577290.story

t_t and i are going to go see it, i dunno if anyone else is interested, but it seems really awesome.

cake cake cake cake cake cake
Anne the Man

« Reply #428 on: Jul 20, 2008, 05:11:25 AM »

V for Vendetta bugged me because it was all drama drama drama with a few very contrived light spots. It felt like it just fell short of being great. But Natalie Portman looks a-mazing with a shaved head. I haven't read the book.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Babar

« Reply #429 on: Jul 22, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »

just finished reading alan moore's run on the swamp thing. the last book (of 6) was really... far out. not really something i would expect to be reading when i decided to read a comic book about a swamp monster. but all in all, his whole run is really really fucking good, i'd even call it brilliant if wasn't for the really weird last book, i postpone reading it midway through many times because it didn't really caught me. but yeah, the whole run is a real roller-coaster ride.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Anne the Man

« Reply #430 on: Jul 22, 2008, 02:17:42 AM »

Finished Y The Last Man Vol. 8

Argh!Allison! Noooooo! Sad

Almanzo

« Reply #431 on: Jul 22, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »

just finished reading alan moore's run on the swamp thing. the last book (of 6) was really... far out. not really something i would expect to be reading when i decided to read a comic book about a swamp monster. but all in all, his whole run is really really fucking good, i'd even call it brilliant if wasn't for the really weird last book, i postpone reading it midway through many times because it didn't really caught me. but yeah, the whole run is a real roller-coaster ride.

I'm actually just reading this for the first time now in spite of having read all other Alan Moore including the Future Shocks stuff from way back; I'd been waiting for them to do Absolute Swamp Thing and then I realized that while I have Absolute Watchmen, and the Absolute Sandman volumes, that format is actually kind of a huge pain to actually hold and read. I concur with everything you said, and I'm really curious to continue on to the Rick Veitch portion, because I'm a huge fan of his stuff, too.

Sodomize Intolerance
Greg Nog

« Reply #432 on: Jul 24, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is indeed great.  I have a tendency to pick up one of the trades, read an issue, then put it back whenever I want a quick good comic.  As a result, though, I can never keep track of what happens to Swamp Thing when.

I'm reading The Ultimates right now, and it's great.  I just got to the big Alien Conspiracy reveal in book two.  Fucking SWEET.
Good Intentions

« Reply #433 on: Jul 24, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »

Anne the Man

« Reply #434 on: Jul 29, 2008, 01:26:28 AM »

I'm not seeing Strangers in Paradise turning as crap as you said yet, GI. And I'm on Vol. 16. (Don't go into too much detail about why it's bad, please, as I stop liking things a lot easier than I keep liking 'em).

lastclearchance

« Reply #435 on: Jul 29, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »

scott pilgrim vs the universe, feb 09, can't wait.

in other comic news:
vol. 1 of monster: liked it a lot.
secret invasion: not that wonderful.
final crisis: out of control but great.
astonishing x-men: just started with the warren ellis one; i'm hopeful.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Greg Nog

« Reply #436 on: Jul 29, 2008, 03:53:31 AM »

scott pilgrim vs the universe, feb 09, can't wait.

oh man oh man

My roommate bought me Issue 1 of "Lobo's Back" as an early birhday present (he couldn't wait to give it to me) 'cause we often joke about Lobo's general shittiness.  Now I have to decide whether I actually want to subject myself to reading it.
Almanzo

« Reply #437 on: Jul 29, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »

So all of the X-men have been relocated to San Francisco as of Astonishing #25 and Uncanny #500, and the whole thing just isn't working for me. I think that, thematically and conceptually, equating mutantdom with homosexuality for the 21st century makes sense in the way that equating it with race did in the sixties, but the whole thing very quickly falls apart past the surface level, with the whole "there are only 200 mutants left alive in the world and no new ones are being born" thing. But I like the idea of the mutants holing up in SF and just announcing to the world, "San Francisco is a sanctuary. Come here and we'll protect you. Fuck the mainstream world - we've spent 30 years trying to protect them and all they've done is hate us even more for being different."

But then I realized that, like when writers take the X-men into outer space or bring horror elements into the book, putting the team on the West Coast just doesn't work. The X-men seem very East Coast-identified to me in a way that's subtle but essential - there's something about Xavier's upstate NY old money roots, the Hellfire Club in middle manhattan, or maybe Chris Claremont putting the team in the middle of the city in every other issue during the seventies that just feels right. I'm curious to see how long they'll stick out this West Coast thing, but maybe it'll rejuvenate the property somewhat, as the X-books as a whole have been in the crapper for a good solid 15 years at this point.

Sodomize Intolerance
coldforge

« Reply #438 on: Jul 29, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »

I'll never accept it. I'm a Bard man.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Almanzo

« Reply #439 on: Jul 29, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »

Or, as Roy Biggins (who I think used to post here) said when he saw the issue on my coffee table - "The X-men in San Francisco? That's FUCKIN' GAY!"

Sodomize Intolerance
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #440 on: Jul 29, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »

That whole "only 200 mutants left, no more new ones being born" will last about as long as "[insert superhero here] is dead" ever lasts. In another year or so, we'll be back to there being 300,000 mutants. The Ellis arc on Astonishing is already hinting at a method that will do exactly that.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Thermofusion

« Reply #441 on: Jul 29, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »

Moving the X-Men to San Francisco makes about as much sense as moving Alpha Flight to, like, San Antonio

triple paisley minimum
Almanzo

« Reply #442 on: Jul 29, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »

That whole "only 200 mutants left, no more new ones being born" will last about as long as "[insert superhero here] is dead" ever lasts. In another year or so, we'll be back to there being 300,000 mutants. The Ellis arc on Astonishing is already hinting at a method that will do exactly that.

You know what's really weird? X-men is one of those books that is based around a basic conceit ("Rich old genius guy runs a school for mutants so they can be a team and use their powers") but can anyone even name the last time that the book was actually about this? Maybe this is true for all superhero comics that are in the 500+ issue range, but it seems like the last 20+ years has been the whole premise in some sort of disarray - the team is broken up, the mansion is destroyed, Xavier's in outer space for 70 issues, the team is in hiding and based out of a ghost town in the Australian outback, the team is broken up again, the mansion is destroyed again, etc....I literally can't remember the last time that the book actually had Xavier running a school for mutants with them also working as a superhero team out of it. I guess it was the original New Mutants, which is one of my favorite books ever.

Sodomize Intolerance
RoyBiggins

« Reply #443 on: Jul 29, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »

Or, as Roy Biggins (who I think used to post here) said when he saw the issue on my coffee table - "The X-men in San Francisco? That's FUCKIN' GAY!"

He's not lying, but I also elbowed his ribs and was like "Get it?  'cause, you know, San Francisco...the gays..."

Man, it's even less funny when you type it out.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #444 on: Jul 29, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »

The other night at poker someone used a pretty ugly slur in that kind of half-joking manner of young lower class men gathered together doing things like playing poker and I was pretty startled/impressed by the cold silence and glares that greeted it. It was like WOW my friends are all grown up!

*OBVS I am not cutting on you B, it's just what came to mind dig

think 'on the road.'
Almanzo

« Reply #445 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »

He's not lying, but I also elbowed his ribs and was like "Get it?  'cause, you know, San Francisco...the gays..."

Man, it's even less funny when you type it out.

Actually, it makes it funnier.

Sodomize Intolerance
Almanzo

« Reply #446 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »

The other night at poker someone used a pretty ugly slur in that kind of half-joking manner of young lower class men gathered together doing things like playing poker and I was pretty startled/impressed by the cold silence and glares that greeted it. It was like WOW my friends are all grown up!

*OBVS I am not cutting on you B, it's just what came to mind dig

I'd be like, "wow, I need to find new friends!"  Heart

Sodomize Intolerance
elpollodiablo

« Reply #447 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »

You probably didn't grow up in SE Ohio either

Asshole

think 'on the road.'
Almanzo

« Reply #448 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:14:08 PM »

Asshole

I have no idea what that means.

Sodomize Intolerance
DCDave

« Reply #449 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

Asshole

I have no idea what that means.

NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: More Talk of Comics
Jump to: