Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 29, 2014, 08:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657805 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
Author Topic: more fucking annoying shit.  (Read 35723 times)
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #475 on: Aug 23, 2007, 04:15:23 PM »

Of course, it was right next to a Jesus Fish.

Then perhaps it's not as hateful as you think and they are merely advocating the path they've chosen.

"TRY IGNORANCE" + JESUS FISH = "I DID!"

This is what I meant.  I don't think my post was very clear.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007, 08:00:32 PM by YojimboMonkey » Logged

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jebreject

« Reply #476 on: Aug 23, 2007, 04:16:03 PM »

יהוה or the highway, motherfuckers!
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007, 04:17:43 PM by jebreject » Logged

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #477 on: Aug 23, 2007, 04:49:04 PM »

i find in phoenix (where there are non-denominational mega church on every block in some areas it seems) that i'll typically find jesus fishes or christian slogans or stickers for their church on the biggest suvs or sometimes even luxury cars.  i was by a black acura yesterday that had that saying "wanna make laugh - tell him your plans" on its license plate tag, and a sticker for whatever church they belong to on their back window.  i don't really get it.  apparently these people's bible's excised the part about helping the poor, camel through the needle's eye etc.  or somehow in america, its a point of pride like "look at my display of external wealth.  God hooked me up with that shit" 

a girl actually tried to explain this phenomenon to me, and it made sense to me the way she explained it, but she's catholic so you have to take it with a grain of salt. anyway, the reason she gave for a lot of the holy rollers in protestant, especially baptist, denominations being blinged out as fuck was that their denomination believes that one glorifies god by succeeding, and that one therefore should make one's success as obvious as possible in order to make it clear to people that "the people who go to this church are successful." supposedly it not only glorifies god for his followers to be successful but also helps bring new people into the fold because they see that success and want some of it too. it's just a completely different way of looking at things than the catholic method.

it's also one that seems to have way less basis in the actual teachings of jesus christ. but hey, who am i to judge? i don't believe in any of it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
DCDave

« Reply #478 on: Aug 23, 2007, 05:03:13 PM »

These are the people who think that the saying "God helps those who help themselves" is in the Bible.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
jebreject

« Reply #479 on: Aug 23, 2007, 06:38:51 PM »

The actual quote is "God helps those with lots of money."

dieblucasdie

« Reply #480 on: Aug 23, 2007, 06:57:09 PM »

i find in phoenix (where there are non-denominational mega church on every block in some areas it seems) that i'll typically find jesus fishes or christian slogans or stickers for their church on the biggest suvs or sometimes even luxury cars.  i was by a black acura yesterday that had that saying "wanna make laugh - tell him your plans" on its license plate tag, and a sticker for whatever church they belong to on their back window.  i don't really get it.  apparently these people's bible's excised the part about helping the poor, camel through the needle's eye etc.  or somehow in america, its a point of pride like "look at my display of external wealth.  God hooked me up with that shit"

a girl actually tried to explain this phenomenon to me, and it made sense to me the way she explained it, but she's catholic so you have to take it with a grain of salt. anyway, the reason she gave for a lot of the holy rollers in protestant, especially baptist, denominations being blinged out as fuck was that their denomination believes that one glorifies god by succeeding, and that one therefore should make one's success as obvious as possible in order to make it clear to people that "the people who go to this church are successful." supposedly it not only glorifies god for his followers to be successful but also helps bring new people into the fold because they see that success and want some of it too. it's just a completely different way of looking at things than the catholic method.

it's also one that seems to have way less basis in the actual teachings of jesus christ. but hey, who am i to judge? i don't believe in any of it.

She's right, except for the part about it being about converting people.  It's just supposed to be a sign of how awesome of a chosen person you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protestant_Ethic_and_the_Spirit_of_Capitalism

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
jebreject

« Reply #481 on: Aug 23, 2007, 07:35:14 PM »

the chosen people are jews

Wally

« Reply #482 on: Aug 23, 2007, 07:57:06 PM »

I miss going to church.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #483 on: Aug 23, 2007, 08:07:12 PM »

the chosen people are jews

Should've said "the elect" to be technically correct but it sounded weird grammatically.

slow west vultures

« Reply #484 on: Aug 23, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »

but she's catholic so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

hey!!  don't forget blucas and i's parents intentionally paid lots of money for us to go to a nice private catholic school in the middle of nowhere indiana, just so the quasi-superstition and moral compass of years of going to church on sunday and religious ed classes wouldn't dissipate in our college years.  (okay if i speak for you blucas?)

there was actually an issue of Time magazine last year with a cover story about 'Does God want you to be rich?  some pastors say so'  i think it has less to do with the protestant ethic - or the concept of election anymore - and more to do with american values of hey, this is america.  i should drive a big car and let the world know i have a big family, and that we're gonna keep voting for republican candidates  . . . umm i forget where i was going with this.  i just don't think its rooted in any ideology or scriptural justification anymore as much as americans' sense of 'having and shining'.  i'm tempted to go into one of these churches one sunday and see what the whole experience is like.  there's one that meets in this industrial park up the road - but i'm not sure if its christain or not, and there's another one i just noticed called 'adventure life church' in this shopping center that has a lighted sign of some dude reaching out to another while mountain climbing
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007, 08:32:38 PM by slow west vultures » Logged

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #485 on: Aug 23, 2007, 08:23:06 PM »

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #486 on: Aug 24, 2007, 12:03:19 AM »

but she's catholic so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

hey!!  don't forget blucas and i's parents intentionally paid lots of money for us to go to a nice private catholic school in the middle of nowhere indiana, just so the quasi-superstition and moral compass of years of going to church on sunday and religious ed classes wouldn't dissipate in our college years.  (okay if i speak for you blucas?)

there was actually an issue of Time magazine last year with a cover story about 'Does God want you to be rich?  some pastors say so'  i think it has less to do with the protestant ethic - or the concept of election anymore - and more to do with american values of hey, this is america.  i should drive a big car and let the world know i have a big family, and that we're gonna keep voting for republican candidates  . . . umm i forget where i was going with this.  i just don't think its rooted in any ideology or scriptural justification anymore as much as americans' sense of 'having and shining'.  i'm tempted to go into one of these churches one sunday and see what the whole experience is like.  there's one that meets in this industrial park up the road - but i'm not sure if its christain or not, and there's another one i just noticed called 'adventure life church' in this shopping center that has a lighted sign of some dude reaching out to another while mountain climbing

I agree with you to an extent--but I think the "American Dream" and the "Protestant Ethic" (both overly general and dubious terms) are and have always been pretty inseparable so it's a little bit of a chicken-egg thing.  Has American protestantism changed to fit consumerist culture or vice versa?  So it goes.  The only change I can really see is the concept of predestination being replaced with the concept of the singular and irrevocable conversion experience (the latter being probably the second dumbest American Christian innovation after the Rapture).  It gives people more agency sure, but the effect is the same:  You're in or you're out.

Speaking of which, am I the only one on the planet rooting for Demetrius Jones to get the job?  OK, then.

Also, I don't think TSKS was hating on Catholics per se, just saying that this particular girl might have an anti-Protestant bias.

Really the term "Protestant" is pretty moot at this point, since, say, American Lutherans have much more in common with American Catholics than they do with those "adventure church" types.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2007, 12:11:25 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #487 on: Aug 24, 2007, 12:22:21 AM »

I know, it seems to me like Martin Luther's 95 theses boiled down to one imperative:  "Priests ought to be allowed to fuck"

Maaik

« Reply #488 on: Aug 24, 2007, 12:44:22 AM »

We've got all stripes of American Religion here in Georgia.  There's a gigantic--and I mean enormous, main church, children's building, brand new ampitheatre--place in Conyers called Church in the Now.  It's normally referred to as Six Flags over Jesus.  I've known some people who used to attend there and stopped going due to some suspect, cult-like behavior like separating the children from their parents.  I knew a guy whose dad was the pastor's old parole officer.

We've also got our share of supermarket churches.  There's one that moved into the old movie theatre in Conyers.  Big blue neon cross out front and everything.

There are the mega churches like Perimeter Church on the outskirts of the city.  These places are also enormous, with state of the art multimedia systems which require a crew to run sound, lights and video during their services.  They pay really well too.  I was out at Perimeter Church for a day when I worked for and entertainment company build team--I helped rig an outdoor stage for a Michael Curtis Chapman concert that was gonna happen the next day--this was on the church's back lawn.

There are several Catholic churches around, LOTS of Baptist, and yr. various and sundry Protestant congregations.  North Decatur--specifically down Lavista, in the North Druid Hills neighborhood, there are several Jewish temples.  There's an Eastern Orthodox church on Ponce de Leon, near me, and further downtown is a Muslim temple.  Oh yeah, not to mention Ebeneezer Baptist Church, where Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. was ordained as a minister.

But outside the city of Atlanta, all this diversity just fucking disappears.  Then it's either little neighborhood churches or the big box Jesus houses.

I need anne the man lessons
dieblucasdie

« Reply #489 on: Aug 24, 2007, 12:46:25 AM »

I know, it seems to me like Martin Luther's 95 theses boiled down to one imperative:  "Priests ought to be allowed to fuck"

This is funny, but Luther's issues with women/sex are pretty infamous so SQUICK

NB not that Catholicism hasn't its own women/sex issues, but Luther was the first dude to start a religion who had, shall we say, modern hangups.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #490 on: Aug 24, 2007, 01:03:08 AM »

Dunno he was basically working with stuff that Paul and Augustine had already pretty well set out but it's not worth it for me to argue the point, I was just making a gag.  Also Lutherans dress funny.

Good Intentions

« Reply #491 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:06:03 AM »

You'll take that back.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #492 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:10:45 AM »

If I wasn't exceedingly lazy, I'd dig up that pic of you in stockings right now.

Good Intentions

« Reply #493 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:12:56 AM »

No, I meant that by God's Divine Will it's been predestined that he'll take that back.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #494 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:16:50 AM »

Is it God's Will that he reply with a retraction, or simply edit the original post?

Good Intentions

« Reply #495 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:24:23 AM »

It does not matter how he does it, as long as he does it out of appreciation for his personal relationship with the Lord.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #496 on: Aug 24, 2007, 04:46:03 AM »

And out of his appreciation for countless generations of well-dressed Lutherans

(thank you google-search for "famous Lutherans")

alex

« Reply #497 on: Aug 24, 2007, 05:05:18 AM »

hey!!  don't forget blucas and i's parents intentionally paid lots of money for us to go to a nice private catholic school in the middle of nowhere indiana, just so the quasi-superstition and moral compass of years of going to church on sunday and religious ed classes wouldn't dissipate in our college years.  (okay if i speak for you blucas?)

You kinda blew my mind with this. For about ten minutes, I was sitting here thinking, "What the fuck? Have slow west vultures and Freddy actually been the same person all along?! How is this possible?"

Then I realised we're probably talking seperate sets of parents, here.

Anyway, I'm down with Max Weber, but I'm not sure how much sense it makes to bring him up in this context - the gist of his 'Protestant Ethic', after all (as far as I remember, anyway - it's been a while), is not about the display of luxury goods and indulgence, but rather about  the Calvinist hard-working, ascetic ethos, which led people to work hard all their lives, make lotsa money, but then not be able to spend it in luxury goods because that was not allowed - and thus re-invest, re-invest, re-invest. So I wouldn't really conflate the historical sociological study of early capitalism with the consumerist-capitalist culture we have now. The funny thing about protestantism (and religions in general) is precisely that conflicting ethical systems exist within, all of which lay claim to being derived from the tenets of the religion, whether it's the show-off-you-riches-to-prove-that-God-loves-you school of thought (which obviously does exist too) or the work-hard-and-allow-yourself-no-luxury one.

it's just a completely different way of looking at things than the catholic method.

Andrew, I am not sure I am reading you right, but were you equating Catholicism with asceticism and saying that Protestants were more likely to go down the luxury-route? Because, uh, that won't work, at least not in countries where Catholicism has any kind of power at all. I mean, one of the very things that led to the development of various strands of Protestantism in the first place was the corrupt, lavish ways of the Catholic church. Although I guess you could argue that in Catholicism, the indulgence in luxury is limited to the high clerus. Heh.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #498 on: Aug 24, 2007, 08:35:23 AM »

I think my fucking ear is infected again

Mad

Compendious as hell
cool banana

« Reply #499 on: Aug 24, 2007, 08:41:15 AM »

gotta use protection

She's like, so whatever
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: more fucking annoying shit.
Jump to: