Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 01:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658105 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 41 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: bride of best movie thread ever  (Read 37010 times)
Greg Nog

« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2007, 04:55:03 PM »

blucas did you know zach braff does not have a garter snake

blucas

blucas did you know that
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2007, 05:29:29 PM »

See but for me, Selma Blair was in Cruel Intentions and I can't dissociate her from that character.

What about
?

Okay, bad example.

what the hell?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
hannah

« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »

that's selma blair in a dirty shame.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:09:53 PM »

wow, i haven't seen that movie. i just looked it up on wikipedia and it sounds awesome.

in other news, i saw "going to pieces: the rise and fall of the slasher film" last night, which was fascinating. it was also totally cringeworthy, because i think i saw every seriously gory 80s horror movie scene for at least a second or two during the course of this movie. but yeah, i've come away from it with a serious hankering to see a few slasher movies i never did get around to seeing, in particular "silent night, deadly night", "sleepaway camp," and "the burning".

auto-da-fey

« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2007, 07:37:01 PM »

wow, i haven't seen that movie. i just looked it up on wikipedia and it sounds awesome.

It is so far from awesome that only the existence of Pecker and Cecil B. Demented preclude the use of superlatives for its non-awesomeness. It's also the most bizarrely unwarranted NC-17 rating I've ever seen, since there's nothing in it beyond sex-related terms like felching to offend anyone.

And for whatever my opinion is worth, also stay away from Silent Night, Deadly Night. Sleepaway Camp is okay, and The Burning is actually one of the better slasher films, IMO. I've been thinking about seeing that documentary, I probably will in a little while.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #30 on: Jul 27, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »

Actually, rereading my entry, I totally overstated my negative feelings about A Dirty Shame. It's lousy, but not that bad.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2007, 07:41:37 PM »

Also, I am now totally nostalgic for this

which, along with its sequel, I probably read about 20 times as a kid.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #32 on: Jul 27, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »

http://video.whysoserious.com/TDK_Teaser_HD_Best_L98hufT.mov

batman the dark knight teaser

so excited for this movie

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #33 on: Jul 28, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »

It is so far from awesome that only the existence of Pecker and Cecil B. Demented preclude the use of superlatives for its non-awesomeness. It's also the most bizarrely unwarranted NC-17 rating I've ever seen, since there's nothing in it beyond sex-related terms like felching to offend anyone.

And for whatever my opinion is worth, also stay away from Silent Night, Deadly Night. Sleepaway Camp is okay, and The Burning is actually one of the better slasher films, IMO. I've been thinking about seeing that documentary, I probably will in a little while.

hah, well, i'm really just interested in "silent night, deadly night" because of the backstory. a band i listen to sampled the old man "christmas eve is the scariest damn night of the year" speech for a record they put out years ago, and i always wanted to know where it came from/see the movie it was taken from. when i was watching "going to pieces" they had a short bit from it in the movie, and i was like "OH SHIT". so yeah, maybe i'll be watching the whole thing for one or two scenes, but i'm still curious. "sleepaway camp" i'm curious about because i guess the killer turns out to be a crossdresser? and "the burning" looks mostly interesting to me because of just how many not-yet-famous people were in it.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #34 on: Jul 28, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »

Yeah, Sleepaway Camp I've always thought deserved more discussion in Carol Clover's Men, Women and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film, which is probably the best book on slasher movies but barely mentions the film. The slasher movie I'm most interested in revisiting is Slumber Party Massacre, since it was written by Rita Mae Brown, the awesome lesbian activist. I don't remember it being particularly subversive from my 7th-grade viewing, but I wasn't a particularly sophisticated kid, so I'm halfway curious about how it would look today.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2007, 01:30:53 PM »

oh yeah, that one seemed interesting too. they interviewed the director for the documentary, and she commented about the gender politics of slasher movies at one point--she thought all the stuff about them being sexist was a load of shit, and that they're actually empowering to women a lot of the time. interesting point. i could discuss it more but i'm feeling crappy today and my brain isn't working too well.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #36 on: Jul 28, 2007, 02:08:40 PM »

That's okay, I'll probably see the doc next weekend--my lady is interested in it, so it'll probably constitute our big date night for the week.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #37 on: Jul 28, 2007, 02:25:34 PM »

On a rather different note, I saw Wanda yesterday. It's a 1970 film written & directed by, and starring, Barbara Loden, who loses real-world points for marrying HUAC collaborator Elia Kazan but wins major cinema points for this. It's a largely plotless, verite-style examination of a woman who abandons her husband and children and just sets herself aimlessly adrift. The first half hour very closely approaches perfection--it's just Wanda, moving through coal fields and the outskirts of small towns in Pennsylvania, her alienation manifested as apathy. After that it sort of settles in a plot of sorts, as she meets a man and they go on a very pathetic crime spree, and while it loses something there, it's still a great film.
nonotyet

« Reply #38 on: Jul 28, 2007, 02:50:31 PM »

ok so I have added the first two discs of Lain and the first Cowboy Bebop to my queue. Here is a background with anime and me: I watched a whole shitload of it with my friend when she was going through a Phase. The only two series I remember us watching were Inuyasha (I think) and Boys Over Flowers and I loved the latter so goddamn much that I started reading the manga. Am I spelling that right? I also really liked Ghost In The Shell a whole lot.

Also since this is a movie thread and not Let's Talk About Anime, I would like to respectfully submit and express my utter and total dissatisfaction with the fact that there is an upcoming Americanized remake of My Sassy Girl. They use the word "gal" in the IMDB plot outline. Have we learned nothing from The Lake House, people? Where you at, Morgan?
I will respectfully kill some motherfuckers.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #39 on: Jul 28, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »

Full Metal Alchemist

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
morgan

« Reply #40 on: Jul 28, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »

Also since this is a movie thread and not Let's Talk About Anime, I would like to respectfully submit and express my utter and total dissatisfaction with the fact that there is an upcoming Americanized remake of My Sassy Girl. They use the word "gal" in the IMDB plot outline. Have we learned nothing from The Lake House, people? Where you at, Morgan?
I will respectfully kill some motherfuckers.

I fully agree with you here, especially since it's my favourite Korean movie.  They're going to completely ruin it.  There's no way to make that movie into a good American version; it's just way too culturally-based.  In order to make it even remotely similar, they'll have to make the main female character incredibly obnoxious, which'll just ruin the whole thing.

Sad.  What's with America's need to remake already-perfect Korean movies?  What is this?

I do have to say, though, that they do the same thing with American movies over here.  There's some movie that has literally the same cover as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but with Korean people instead of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.  I can only imagine how bad it must be.  Come on, Korea!  You make awesome and original movies on your own, why do you have to rip off bad American movies?!

It should be noted that I actually liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but, well, yeah.  Still.

Edit: The main actor in the My Sassy Girl remake is going to be the dude from Swimfan?  Are you serious?  What IS this?  I mean, I know he was in Hackers and I will always love that movie (no matter how sincerely awful it is), but come ON.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2007, 06:58:57 PM by morgan » Logged
Good Intentions

« Reply #41 on: Jul 29, 2007, 08:41:37 AM »

Full Metal Alchemist
Wussed out in the end. I thought it was going to be quite good for a while, but then it let me down.
DCDave

« Reply #42 on: Jul 29, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »

Nice list, Blucas

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Thermofusion

« Reply #43 on: Jul 29, 2007, 10:34:19 AM »

Quote from: morgan link
Sad.  What's with America's need to remake already-perfect Korean movies?  What is this?

Apparently, there's already talk of a dumbed-down American remake of The Host.  I hate Hollywood.

triple paisley minimum
Ah_Pook

« Reply #44 on: Jul 29, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRQjCG8tn4
iron man comic con trailer

fucking cool

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #45 on: Jul 29, 2007, 02:29:16 PM »

So here's the lineup for the upcoming New York Korean Film Festival.
Any recommendations? I remember some talk about the King and the Clown on here a while back...

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
auto-da-fey

« Reply #46 on: Jul 29, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »

So here's the lineup for the upcoming New York Korean Film Festival.
Any recommendations? I remember some talk about the King and the Clown on here a while back...

Dirty Carnival, but only because it's an East River Pipe song, not because I have any inside scoop (though it does sound pretty good).
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #47 on: Jul 29, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »

Yeah, I like the rough n tumble look of that one. Good title too.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
G.C.R

« Reply #48 on: Jul 29, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »

Ugh, "silent night, deadly night" was a bad, nasty little movie. I had erased that from my memory. geh. Whereas "A Dirty Shame" I found very amusing. I think I was stoned when i watched both of them.

But in terms of actually really really good movies, I saw "Killer of Sheep" last night, and it was superlatively excellent. And I think I'm going to have to go to the library and get out some Dinah washington CDs because of it.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
guanajuato

« Reply #49 on: Jul 29, 2007, 07:03:14 PM »

i went and saw sunshine. funny in the right places, but it never lost sight of what it was: a feel good restart-the-sun movie.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: bride of best movie thread ever
Jump to: