Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 05:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: bride of best movie thread ever  (Read 37090 times)
hannah

« Reply #75 on: Aug 01, 2007, 09:02:47 PM »

my lust for this goes beyond the normal spheres inhabited by humankind

I inhabited that sphere well before you did, buddy!
girl

« Reply #76 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »

and also has anyone's eyes ever twinkled the way Gene Wilder's eyes twinkle?  I mean, that dude can seriously twinkle his eyes at you.
Yes! 

To the extent that when I was a kid and I saw him in Charlie and the Chocolate factory I thought he was like a sorcerer or something.  I think they must put eyedrops in his eyes right before each shoot.

To be honest, I've never quite gotten over my early childhood crush on Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka.  I'm fairly sure I can blame all my relationship problems on the fact that no one can possibly live up to him in real life. 

this is a story and you're not in it
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #77 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:25:39 PM »

Speaking of Gene Wilder...

goddamn this is a shitty day, my own personal shittiness dwarfed by the enormous shittiness of the news of that bridge collapse, that just seems like such a crazy unlikely thing to happen, anyway, maybe it's shallow but I need a goddamn laugh and so I am going to watch one of my favorite comedies of all time, Blazing Saddles.  I grew up watching this with my ex-stepfather and though we laughed at the same times, I think we may have been laughing with different intent; I was laughing at Slim Pickens but I sadly suspect that he was laughing with him.  Anyway, though part of what keeps me laughing at this movie must be sheer shock--and shock that grows rather than lessens over time, at least for me--so much of the humor is pure Mel Brooks absurdity that seems dated but only in that nobody makes 'em like this anymore

Anyway, what are your favorite comedies?  I think we could all use a laugh, no?

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
girl

« Reply #78 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:35:03 PM »

I can't believe what a hard time I'm having coming up with an answer to favorite comedy.  I don't think I have a single favorite. .  .  Can I answer Monty Python?

morgan

« Reply #79 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:37:15 PM »

hannah

« Reply #80 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »

Jim, I really hope things get better, man. I'm so sorry. In the meantime, here are a few movies that make me laugh:

The Jackasses.
Palm Beach Story.
Duck Soup.
Gremlins 2.
Sleeper.
morgan

« Reply #81 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:42:42 PM »

I really like this, as far as comedies go:

It doesn't have Gene Wilder, but it is completely awesome.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #82 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:43:29 PM »

So pretty much anything with old twinkly eyes then huh morgan?  i'm a big fan too though i'd have  put young frankenstein before those, and then maybe the movies he did with richard prior

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
girl

« Reply #83 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:45:38 PM »

Right, I meant to say Young Frankenstein!

girl

« Reply #84 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »

. . . and Raising Arizona and Stripes  (I don't really own that many comedies.)

hannah

« Reply #85 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:50:51 PM »

Young Frankenstein kind of drags for me. I love the cast and Mel Brooks holds a special place in my heart, but I think there's something off with the pacing. That said, I did laugh and laugh when Mart Feldman says "walk this way." HA HA laughing just thinking about it... but that may be the jetlag talking.

If we're voting for Mel Brooks I'd say The Producers and High Anxiety.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #86 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:56:22 PM »

I really like this, as far as comedies go:

It doesn't have Gene Wilder, but it is completely awesome.

It does have Cleavon Little though, who was in Blazing Saddles with Gene Wilder and dazzled, weird that he never got bigger than he did, only other thing I remember seeing  him in was the second Fletch movie.

Young Frankenstein kind of drags for me. I love the cast and Mel Brooks holds a special place in my heart, but I think there's something off with the pacing. That said, I did laugh and laugh when Mart Feldman says "walk this way." HA HA laughing just thinking about it... but that may be the jetlag talking.

"Putting on the Ritz"
"There wolf, there castle"

So many individual great moments in that movie though overall you may be right, the pace is a  bit slow.

hannah

« Reply #87 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »

roll, roll, roll in dee hay
girl

« Reply #88 on: Aug 01, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »

I meant to say The Producers!

Ah_Pook

« Reply #89 on: Aug 01, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »

Ghostbusters is my favorite comedy and my favorite movie

A Fish Called Wanda is probably my second favorite comedy

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #90 on: Aug 01, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »

Ha, guess I didn't have the whole movie memorized.  Didn't remember this line:

"Order! Order!"
"You know, Julian Casablancas said, out of chaos comes order"
"Oh blow it out your ass Howard"

I just wanted to see the filter in action Very Happy

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #91 on: Aug 01, 2007, 11:23:29 PM »

Ghostbusters is my favorite comedy and my favorite movie

A Fish Called Wanda is probably my second favorite comedy

Ghostbusters is killer.  The boys just watched Ghostbusters II tonight.

I haven't seen A Fish Called Wanda in forever, that sounds like something I'll have to rent soon.

Ah_Pook

« Reply #92 on: Aug 02, 2007, 12:19:50 AM »

"Order! Order!"
"You know, Julian Casablancas said, out of chaos comes order"
"Oh blow it out your ass Howard"

"You know what Julian Casablancas said about animals? They were God's second blunder."
"Well y-y-you t-tell him from m-m-m-me..."

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Mike24

« Reply #93 on: Aug 02, 2007, 01:14:15 AM »

I am going to watch one of my favorite comedies of all time, Blazing Saddles

this is weird, i just got blazing saddles in the mail and i'm about to watch it now.  I can't remember much of it, but I anticipate awesomeness.

she doesn't like it too hot, she doesn't like it too cold, room temperature, room temperature
auto-da-fey

« Reply #94 on: Aug 02, 2007, 01:53:18 AM »

About as far from comedy as it gets, I saw The Hill today. It's an unjustly forgotten 1965 Sidney Lumet film with Sean Connery, set in a British military prison in north Africa and utterly devoid of fart jokes or Jamie Lee Curtis incest humor. It's got a stripped-down intensity that packs a wallop, and it would probably make a good companion piece to Paths of Glory, since it deals with similar themes of the subjugation of justice to protocol. Also, it's weird to see a Lumet film not set in NYC--that's just how I think of him.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #95 on: Aug 02, 2007, 01:56:08 AM »

And for comedies, I concur with much of the above and would also add Flirting with Disaster. And most of Woody Allen's funny movies.
morgan

« Reply #96 on: Aug 02, 2007, 01:58:28 AM »

So pretty much anything with old twinkly eyes then huh morgan?  i'm a big fan too though i'd have  put young frankenstein before those, and then maybe the movies he did with richard prior

I actually love both of those Gene Wilder movies mostly because they are movies that I watched a lot when I was a kid, so I have fond memories of them.

Another great comedy is What's Up, Doc?, just in case you're still looking.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #97 on: Aug 02, 2007, 08:37:05 AM »

A few that prompt audible laughter even when I'm alone:

The Big Lebowski
UHF
O.C. & Stiggs
Kentucky Fried Movie

Compendious as hell
Good Intentions

« Reply #98 on: Aug 02, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »

I just saw Withnail and I. Frankly, so should everybody else.
alistarr*

« Reply #99 on: Aug 02, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »

And most of Woody Allen's funny movies.

speaking of woody allen, which you weren't (at least, not really), i saw Melinda and Melinda last night and it was all well and good (will ferrell was particularly good i thought) but probably would have been better without the funny little guy from the princess bride popping up every so often to comment to his friends about some bullshit or other.

i also watched Whisper of the Heart which is a studio ghibli movie and is, in a word, lovely. easily my girlfriend's favourite so far and definitely up there for me too. i can't really put into words how happymaking it is to see a young character struggling not against the forces of authority/parents/darkness in trying to acheive her dreams but against herself, plain and simple. it was also and aside from this a beautifully drawn and heartwarming story which will no doubt join the ranks of my go-to films for tired sunday evening comforts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: bride of best movie thread ever
Jump to: