Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 20, 2014, 02:58:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657896 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 79 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: bride of best movie thread ever  (Read 36451 times)
diesel_powered

« Reply #300 on: Aug 15, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »

It was because he couldn't have Lisa Bonet.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
jebreject

« Reply #301 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »

fuck netflix. they send me the worst movies in my que. i wanna see hot fuzz, they send me a brown paper box and i open it up and there's a cdr, i pop it in, it's the cosby show episode where theo learns he is dyslexic.

i had hot fuzz for like ten days, sorry

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #302 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »

Now should I watch Matewan or Straw Dogs? They are due back tomorrow, so I reckon I have to watch one of 'em tonight and burn the other for later viewing. I kinda feel like the latter might be the one I'll want to keep, so I should watch Matewan tonight? I don't know. Keep in mind I've seen neither of them.

if you were gonna burn either one, i'd advise you to burn "matewan", because dude, you're gonna want to be able to pull out the movie with 14 year old will oldham in it at a later date. you know this.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #303 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »

I don't know how to feel...

I just couldn't finish 5 Easy Pieces.  It bored the shit out of me.

Compendious as hell
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #304 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »

oh, and speaking of "hot fuzz", i saw it last night. i really enjoyed it, even though it was not what i expected, but i watched it with a bunch of people who seemed unable to allow themselves to enjoy it despite it not being what they expected. i feel like a lot of the humor in it is much subtler than the humor in "shaun of the dead", and like it's easy if you're sitting on your couch drinking a beer and waiting for AWESOME!!1! shit to happen to just completely miss it. the last half-hour of the movie did manage to satisfy the people i was watching it with, as did the truly intense gore in a few scenes, but they definitely got bored during some of the other parts of the movie, and were vocal about it, which made it harder for me to enjoy it because i felt like an idiot for liking it. bummer.

also, i saw "brick" again. i really should have left that movie with the kids whose house i was at and gone home to bed, but as soon as i saw the first scene i couldn't turn away from it. interestingly enough, some of the kids who were disappointed by "hot fuzz" were riveted by "brick", which is much more intense and needs you to pay much closer attention. i found that kind of interesting. i guess it all comes down to expectations, really.

Greg Nog

« Reply #305 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »

it's easy if you're sitting on your couch drinking a beer and waiting for AWESOME!!1! shit to happen to just completely miss it. the last half-hour of the movie did manage to satisfy the people i was watching it with, as did the truly intense gore in a few scenes, but they definitely got bored during some of the other parts of the movie

Yeah, I really loved that about the experience of watching Hot Fuzz.  For most of it, I was thinking, "Okay, this is just a quiet little movie, it's not action at all, it's just a fun little small-town mystery thing."  And then when the action finally does kick in, kind of out of nowhere, I was like, "God DAAAAAAAMN"
Aglaya

« Reply #306 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:12:20 PM »

Oh my god, yes.  That last part in the model town... christ.  Brutal.
Brutally awesome.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #307 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »

Simon Pegg plays a bit-part in Band of Brothers!  I just noticed him the other night. 

Compendious as hell
Greg Nog

« Reply #308 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »

I've mentioned Spaced before, but for those who haven't seen it yet:

See Spaced.  One of the best television comedies of all time, ever.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #309 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:23:10 PM »

Word.  I don't remember if I finished watching S2 though; if not I gotta get on that!

I mean holy SHIT the fucking Resident Evil episode!  is probably one of my favorite things that I ever saw in a TV show.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #310 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »

It is pretty funny. Though a bit overly laden with American film jokes.

*xpost, w/r/t Spaced

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #311 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:24:22 PM »

FORGET IT, JIM
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #312 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:27:28 PM »

It is difficult.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jebreject

« Reply #313 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »

Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are essentially comedic geniuses. Nick Frost too.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #314 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:30:50 PM »

Man the bit where old dude's head got squashed with the church steeple was fucking off the chain. Moreso because I totally wasn't expecting it. One of the most gruesome movie deaths I've seen in a while.

think 'on the road.'
guanajuato

« Reply #315 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »

fuck netflix. they send me the worst movies in my que. i wanna see hot fuzz, they send me a brown paper box and i open it up and there's a cdr, i pop it in, it's the cosby show episode where theo learns he is dyslexic.

i had hot fuzz for like ten days, sorry

that's of course within your contractual rights with netflix, or as bill cosby would say hot fuzz i got the hoot fuzzzz in the hot, there's a, i had a hot, fuzzzy, in the fuzzy, on that, there was a, i was fuzzing the hot, lalalalal, pudding, fuzzy, on the pudding of the fuzzy fuzz fuzzer fuzzle fizzle fuzz woah

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #316 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:46:15 PM »

FORGET IT, JIM

there was a "forget it [name of person], it's [name of town]" joke in "hot fuzz". i laughed, everyone else in the room stared blankly at the tv.

Greg Nog

« Reply #317 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:49:31 PM »

I had the same experience in Shaun of The Dead, when Nick Frost shouts, "We're coming to get you, Barbara!"
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #318 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:01:58 PM »

the kids i was watching that movie with totally got that joke, thank goodness.

jebreject

« Reply #319 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:09:08 PM »

Andrew I really don't understand how your friends couldn't have liked the first part of Hot Fuzz. It's SO FUCKING FUNNY.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #320 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »

that's what i was thinking. 25 mins or so into the movie someone was all "man, this is boring", and there were sound of general agreement from at least two other people. i was sitting right in the middle of all of them going "wait, WHAT?"

Thermofusion

« Reply #321 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:18:37 PM »

David Lynch was on Talk of the Nation this afternoon, talking about his meditation techniques for getting new ideas and shit.  He sounds like the nicest guy ever...which isn't what I'd have expected (I guess a pretentious art fuck) 

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #322 on: Aug 16, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »

I've seen quite a few movies lately. All from the inTROknots!

Mr. Brooks - I'll still give Kostner the benefit of the doubt, despite having seen all of his films since 1990. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this--it was fairly hackneyed and formulaic, but Kostner's performance and that of Wlm. Hurt made it worthwhile. Not a particularly interesting premise, but entertaining. Dane Cook was remarkable for being unremarkable.

Zodiac - Already expressed some love for this one, but I'll recommend it again. An adult thriller that isn't patronizing or too glossy. Fincher definitely treated this one with kid gloves; there are a couple of his signature flourishes in there, but overall the direction was subtle and guided by the story. Gyllenhaal was decent; RDJr excellent as always, and a surprisingly nuanced performance from Mark Ruffalo.

Fracture - I dunno why I watched this. Cause it was streaming and I was bored, I guess. Gosling and Hopkins are pretty much wasted. It stops just short of entertaining, which is not what you want in a film that's devoid of anything original or compelling story-wise.

This Is England - A smart, heartbreaking little film. Didn't really bring anything new to the table genre-wise, but the performances (especially from the newcomer Thomas Turgoose) are really subtle and excellent. Stephen Graham (aka Tommy from Snatch) made the picture.

The Host - Uhm... yeah. This is the highest-grossing S. Korean film ever made. I don't get it. I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be laughing or frightened most of the time. I was mostly bored. Mostly.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #323 on: Aug 16, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »

The Host - Uhm... yeah. This is the highest-grossing S. Korean film ever made. I don't get it. I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be laughing or frightened most of the time. I was mostly bored. Mostly.

you were supposed to be laughing a lot.  there's a bit of a translation gap though because it's filled with social satire that only south koreans are privy to (if you have a korean friend, ask 'em about it, they've almost definitely seen it at least once)

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #324 on: Aug 16, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »

Almost everyone I know has seen it. I wanted to see it during our film festival, but never got a chance. As a monster movie, I think it was a failure... As a social satire, it's probably way beyond me.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: bride of best movie thread ever
Jump to: