Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 02:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658135 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: new albums purchased thread  (Read 31310 times)
milesofsparks

« Reply #250 on: Oct 03, 2007, 10:09:09 PM »

ps the new metal spelling of tuesday is 'teusday'

shouldn't there be an umlaut or a silent Q or something?

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
girl

« Reply #251 on: Oct 04, 2007, 12:41:32 AM »

Also, isn't it Wednesday?

this is a story and you're not in it
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #252 on: Oct 04, 2007, 01:34:29 AM »

Also, isn't it Wednesday?

No. It's Thursday.

John Fahey's Requila on vinyl was today's purchase.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
justinh

« Reply #253 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:25:25 AM »

Lewis and Clarke - Live on WPRB

Got it at the show last night, mostly because it so pretty on white vinyl.  They seemed like nice people.  I think this will be good to go to sleep to. 
mabel

« Reply #254 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »

abigail / fastkill "far east necromancers" 7"
abigail / hate kommand "sex war metal kommand" 7"
the weeds "aka the lollipop shoppe" LP
and all because of that emily kane song....you know what.
old kentucky shark

« Reply #255 on: Oct 04, 2007, 11:51:02 PM »

his debut! i haven't heard any of his pre-1967 stuff so i'm excited for this to arrive. originals and donovan, kinks and dylan covers! and cheap!

edit: oh shit also file this under album covers separated at birth cf. explosions in the sky and stars
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007, 11:52:51 PM by old kentucky shark » Logged

you are seven dollars yes you are
das kranke Tier

« Reply #256 on: Oct 05, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »

So, hey, anybody ever hear of an act called Hazmat Modine?

Compendious as hell
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #257 on: Oct 05, 2007, 04:43:40 PM »

i have a version of this record under the name of "just colour" by the lollipop shoppe. i wasn't sure this was the same record until i googled it. i had no idea the lollipop shoppe were really called the weeds. so yeah, thanks for posting this--i learned something!

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
mabel

« Reply #258 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:03:46 PM »

i have a version of this record under the name of "just colour" by the lollipop shoppe. i wasn't sure this was the same record until i googled it. i had no idea the lollipop shoppe were really called the weeds. so yeah, thanks for posting this--i learned something!

yeah, i've got the "just colour" LP too.  there's stuff on "aka..." that's not on "just colour" and vice versa.  i couldn't tell by your post if you discovered this through your google search.  and if you didn't know the lollipop shoppe were called the weeds you might not've seen "unknown passage: the dead moon story" yet either.  if you haven't, you MUST.  most inspiring.  most funny.  most endearing.  ALSO, did you know fred & toody are now in a band called the pierced arrows?  great enough to heal the wound that dead moon left by splitting up.  i actually kinda like/love them even more that dead moon.  the new drummer has tightened things up, but in a good way.  they played here not long ago and straight ruled.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #259 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:09:56 PM »

dude, i didn't know about any of that. i didn't know there WAS a dead moon documentary. i'm so excited to see that now.

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #260 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »

The Dead Moon doco is one of the best things I've ever seen. They are straight up lovely people and an inspiration to all who would like to live outside of the mainstream. GO AND WATCH IT!

Real Groovy just put a new bunch of used 7's on the shop floor today. I got:
Lightning Beat-Man - Wrestling's Greatest Monthly Tournament
Squirrel Bait - Kid Dynamite/Slake Train Coming
Armitage Shanks - One Chord Wonders
Rodan - How The Winter Was Passed

New 7's. Slovenly Rreissues of old records which cannot be found without a large amount of money.
Black Lips - In & Out/Stuck In My Mind
Black Lips - Does She Want/Stoned

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #261 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »

fuck yeah, props for that squirrel bait 7 inch! brian macmahan from slint when he was 15!

mabel

« Reply #262 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:45:15 PM »

New 7's. Slovenly Rreissues of old records which cannot be found without a large amount of money.
Black Lips - In & Out/Stuck In My Mind
Black Lips - Does She Want/Stoned

not like it matters all that much, but i'm fairly certain that these aren't re-issues, but out-takes from other sessions.  fuck, though, yeah, some of their records can set you back some serious cash.  i'm still aching for a copy of that live radio session lp.

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #263 on: Oct 05, 2007, 08:19:04 PM »

For some reason I thought they were old Die Slaughterhaus releases. Either way, I'm pretty happy. A friend has that radio session record. It's pretty good but not nearly worth the money people shell out on ebay at the mo. In saying that i'd drop a chunk of $$ on the original pressing of the Party At Rob's House 7"

Squirrel Bait rock. They were a stupidly good band for their age.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007, 08:25:13 PM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

mountmccabe

« Reply #264 on: Oct 05, 2007, 09:13:11 PM »

the lp used for $6.

fixed it.

for future reference, this place runs on bbcode rather than html. images work like this
Code:
[img] link [/img]
, and links like this
Code:
[url] link [/url]

i could see it just fine

weird. i couldn't.

There's a place to fiddle with that in preferences.

Err, I just looked to say where but now I can't find it.  There used to be a place to fiddle with this in preferences or whatever.  Maybe that was before the change/crash/whatnot and now whatever you picked back then is set forever.

That'd rule.

You know a pancake?
mabel

« Reply #265 on: Oct 05, 2007, 09:25:37 PM »

For some reason I thought they were old Die Slaughterhaus releases. Either way, I'm pretty happy. A friend has that radio session record. It's pretty good but not nearly worth the money people shell out on ebay at the mo. In saying that i'd drop a chunk of $$ on the original pressing of the Party At Rob's House 7"

Squirrel Bait rock. They were a stupidly good band for their age.

yeah, man!  the "party at rob's house" is SO GOOD!!!!  what's the original pressing like/on?  i have two copies of that record, but the only difference i've noticed ( i haven't looked too closely at them ) is that the sleeves are different color and i think one of the recs is on white vinyl.  
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #266 on: Oct 06, 2007, 12:34:12 AM »

Not too sure what the actual scum stats are. But I'm pretty sure there was only one pressing of 500 or so on Rob's House records. It was later reissued on another label, can't remember which off the top of my head.

mabel

« Reply #267 on: Oct 06, 2007, 02:08:41 PM »

Not too sure what the actual scum stats are. But I'm pretty sure there was only one pressing of 500 or so on Rob's House records. It was later reissued on another label, can't remember which off the top of my head.

haha, scum stats, that's rich.  and right on. 
Bubbachups

« Reply #268 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:08:17 AM »

Over the last two or three weeks:

Suishou No Fune "The Shining Star" (cd)
LSD March "Constellation Of Tragedy" (cd)
Dead Letters Spell Out Dead Words "Fall, Fall, Falling" (cd)
Magik Markers "Boss" (cd)
Slow Six "Nor'easter" (cd)
Vikki Jackman "Of Beauty Reminiscing" (cd)
A Broken Consort "Box of Birch" (cd - 2nd ed.)

A Broken Consort, Magik Markers and Slow Six are top 10 contenders for this year. A Broken Consort (a.k.a. Richard Skelton) delivers a beautiful multi-layered work of accordion drones, strings, etc that makes your living room come alive. I cannot recommend this release enough if youíre into ambient/drones/etc. Can only be bought through his website. Nice detail is the fact that your name will be typed down on the sleeve and insert which makes the (already gorgeously packaged) album even more personal. Only a couple more left before this 2nd edition of 100 is out of print.

The Magik Markers album is way different from their earlier stuff, but very, very good. Slow Six is like Steve Reich, Rachelís and a whole lot of other goodness all put together. At first listen it's good, but you need a couple of spins to really get under the surface of the music. It sounds both traditional and radically new at the same time. Released on New Albion, that says it all I guess. Hereís a nice YouTube video.

Vikki Jackmanís album was released last year on vinyl, but now Andrew Chalkís Faraway Press has reissued it on cd. If you're into William Basinski then you should definitely pick this one up. Minimal piano notes, very fragile and elegant, shrouded in a fog of melancholic drones. This is quite possibly the most beautiful album Iíve come across this year.

I also got the following for my birthday:

Angels of Light "We Are Him (cd)
Yo La Tengo "Summer Sun" (cd)

The Yo La Tengo album, obviously, is pretty awesome. I knew that already, but what I didn't know was the amazing line-up of guest artists that's listed in the liner notes. Sabir Mateen, Daniel Carter, William Parker, etc. Holy crap! And also Paul Niehaus on steel, can't go wrong with him.

Oh yeah, and I also bought a Magnolia Electric Co. medallion (which also came with a couple of cds) and pretty much all the Elephant Micah albums I could get my hands on through his own website, including Loud Guitars and Palmyra Palm. The only real big hole in my collection now is Agrarian Malaise.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #269 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:13:27 PM »

Monday's suck, especialy when you spent Saturday night getting fucked up, not sleeping at all then not making up for it on the Sunday. I was super angry about getting out of bed this morning, but got to my desk at work and there was a big package waiting for me.

Vinyl by mailorder:
LP
Chrome Cranks - Dead Cool 
Digital Leather - Monologue 
Lost Sounds - Memphis Is Dead 
Oblivians - Rock'n'Roll Holiday - Live in Atlanta 1994 
Reatards - Bedroom Disasters 
The Terminals - Forget About Never
Brutal Knights Ė Feast Of Shame

10"
Fatals - S/T 

7"
Angry Angels - Apparent/Transparent 
Angry Angels - Things Are Moving + 3
Angry Angels /Digital Leather - Split 7"
Black Rose Band - Hot Box
Boston Chinks/Jay Reatard - Split
Catholic Boys - Hurt to Hate 
CPC Gangbangs - Mechanical Man
CPC Gangbangs/Confusers - Split 7"
Milky Ways - I Don't Need You Girl 
Mind Controls - Prelude to a Fight
Reatards/Angry Angels /Tokyo Electron - Split 7"
Sexaphone - Fuck Your Space 
The Shanks - Cut Me 
Tractor Sex Fatality - Live It Down

I'm now in a great mood.

edit - yes, I do like music by Jay Reatard.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007, 05:18:11 PM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

difficult

« Reply #270 on: Oct 07, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »

Holy fucking shit Scott! What a stash!

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
monkeypants

« Reply #271 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »

So I haven't bought any music in a coon's age (damn you, poverty!), but I broke bad today and hit up the library sale for some cheap rekkids.  These are all on vinyl and were $1.75 each.  The first four are to replace my old cassettes and "Mister Heartbreak" is to replace my *other* vinyl copy which is a bit warped.  Otherwise these are all new to me.  Here goes:

R.E.M. - Murmur
The Housemartins - London 0, Hull 4
The Reivers - Saturday (it looks like someone's cat shredded the spine, but the record's in fine shape)
The Godfathers - Birth, School, Work, Death
Laurie Anderson - Mister Heartbreak
Laurie Anderson - O Superman 12"
Trio - Da Da Da 12"
M - New York, London, Paris, Munich
Hoodoo Gurus - Blow Your Cool
Katrina And The Waves - s/t
Go-Betweens - Tallulah
Augustus Pablo - King David's Melody
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay
Van Morrison - St. Dominic's Preview
The Band - Music From Big Pink
Sauter-Finegan Orchestra - Inside Sauter-Finegan

I got that last one exclusively for the super-snazzy Jim Flora cover artwork.  I'm probably going to have it framed or plak-mounted so I can hang it on my wall.

Also, John Linnell's "State Songs" on CD.  It was four bucks but, alas, came with no liner booklet.

"St. Dominic's Preview" is on the turntabe right now.  It sounds good.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
mabel

« Reply #272 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »

Peals Before Swine - Balaklava (original ESP-Disk with the insert, in, seriously, mint condition and for less than a used reissue would generally set me back.  happy.)

James Baldwin - Black Man in America, Credo 1 (Mr. Baldwin interviewed by Studs Terkel)

The Hammered Dulicimer Played by Chet Parker (Folkways FA 2381, 1966.  With "Desciptive Notes" in the motherfuckin' house.  It looks as if I am the first person to even set eyes on this thing.  Probably the first thing i'll throw on when i get home.)

and last but certainly not least...

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith (probably the second thing i'll throw on tonight)
auto-da-fey

« Reply #273 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:05:20 PM »

James Baldwin - Black Man in America, Credo 1 (Mr. Baldwin interviewed by Studs Terkel)

That sounds awesome. Baldwin is one of my favorite writers ever.

also
edit - yes, I do like music by Jay Reatard.

Thanks to your boosting of him and posting of YSIs here, I've totally joined the Reatard-is-Genius cult. I don't have anything except some stuff I downloaded yet, but I plan to change that what I get the chance.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #274 on: Oct 08, 2007, 01:01:41 AM »

Yep, the dude's cool as fuck. Check out http://jayreatard.blogspot.com/ for some mp3s of live/demo/unreleased stuff. I urge you to go the Only Queers Play Acoustic Guitars post. Unreleased poppy acoustic song called "Wounded" is fantastic.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: new albums purchased thread
Jump to: