Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 09:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: new - newer - news  (Read 38446 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #400 on: Nov 14, 2007, 11:43:17 PM »

clean coal is kind of a lie, though, because it doesn't capture all carbon dioxide emissions, so it doesn't actually stop global warming.

Quote from: Wikipedia
There are no coal-fired power stations in commercial production which capture all carbon dioxide emissions, so the process is theoretical and experimental and thus a subject of feasibility or pilot studies. It is has been estimated that it will be 2020 to 2025 before any commercial-scale clean coal power stations (coal-burning power stations with carbon capture and sequestration) are commercially viable and widely adopted.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Greg Nog

« Reply #401 on: Nov 15, 2007, 07:49:09 AM »

Well, we're still in the worst drought on Australia's history, so personally I would say it didn't. Maybe God heard us , and just ignored us. I may be atheist, but I could probably believe in a God who created everything and just went 'fuck it, I'm tired, let's just see what happens.'

I'm surprised that you ignore the most obvious answer, that God just fucking hates Australia.
melancolley

« Reply #402 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:56:51 PM »

I don't know. He killed Steve Irwin, so I think that kind of squared it up.

The majority of Australia is desert, yes, but large strecthes of the eastern coast up to the Blue mountains are subtropical, and the Murray-Darling system a bit south and inland has been a very successful base for intensive cash-crop agriculture, up to the drought. They're not farming like that out in WA or around Alice Springs or, as far as I know, anywhere in the northwestern 2/3rds of the country.

Victoria, for instance, have had their second flood this year quite recently, but that's not where the water is really needed.

Problem is, the whole country has been affected by the drought. Nearly every capital is on water restrictions. And Australia is two thirds desert, slow west vultures, not quite 95%. 80% of the population live within 100km of the coast, but a small amount of people farm the shit out of the inland, and they're not getting any rain at all.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #403 on: Nov 16, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »

Here's a vision to have nightmares about: the phrase "President Lou Dobbs."
slow west vultures

« Reply #404 on: Nov 16, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »

First action as president: outlaw St. Patricks Day

i forget if it was on his show or not, but he was complaining about some immigration rally last year where the marchers were waving mexican flags - and somebody mentioned well what about st. patricks day, and he was like "i don't think we should have that either.  i think we should have celebrations that bring us together as americans"

i can't figure out if that guy is an extreme douche or not, but i probably couldn't understand a word he said if he ever became president.

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
auto-da-fey

« Reply #405 on: Nov 16, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »

"i think we should have celebrations that bring us together as americans. like bashing mexicans. we can all rally around that!"

That dude is such an extreme douche that he injures the reputation of douchebags everywhere. It's sad because he does have some progressive ideas, but they're so embedded in his knee-jerk pseudopopulist xenophobia that they're all canceled out.
Good Intentions

« Reply #406 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »

The rule fo law is making such leaps and bounds in Chechnaya that at the upcoming election a 100% vote for Putin's United Russia is expected, proclaims the Chechyan premier, a former seperatist rebel turned government loyalist hand-picked by Putin.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7084466.stm
coldforge

« Reply #407 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »

I wonder who they'll vote for!

č l'era del terzo mondo.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #408 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:21:30 PM »

I'd rather vote for Putin than get turned into a monster/shot coming out of an elevator/stabbed in the throat in a dark alley

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #409 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »

Those things happen all the time with Putin in power, if you don't support him.

United Russia aren't even bothering to hold any televised debates with their opponents.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #410 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »

Did you just disagree with me agreeing with you?

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #411 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »

Your response was...profoundly insufficient.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #412 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:32:39 PM »

What?

think 'on the road.'
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #413 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:33:43 PM »

struth

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #414 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:35:01 PM »

It seems that I've gone insane from stress

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #415 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »

I'd rather vote for Putin than get turned into a monster/shot coming out of an elevator/stabbed in the throat in a dark alley
Sorry, brain fart on my part. On a thread on another board a guy was remarking how the Russians are more or less associating 'democracy' with the period of their history where gangsters ran around freely on the street and violent crime was omnipresent. Now it's just directed at Putin's opponents.
girl

« Reply #416 on: Nov 18, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »

This made my night!
 Heart

this is a story and you're not in it
melancolley

« Reply #417 on: Nov 18, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=40038
There is a majority in the Iraqi parliament made up of Sunnis, Shi'ite, and secular types. They want Coalition forces out of the country, as does 80% of the country. al-Maliki is, unconstitutionally, ignoring them. Wonder why this never gets on the news in the invading countries?
dominic

« Reply #418 on: Nov 19, 2007, 07:12:52 AM »

This made my night!
 Heart

because it says so much, and about so many things.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #419 on: Nov 19, 2007, 11:38:11 AM »

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=40038
There is a majority in the Iraqi parliament made up of Sunnis, Shi'ite, and secular types. They want Coalition forces out of the country, as does 80% of the country. al-Maliki is, unconstitutionally, ignoring them. Wonder why this never gets on the news in the invading countries?

i think we all know the answer to that question.

god, i hate the bush administration so much.

Good Intentions

« Reply #420 on: Nov 19, 2007, 05:12:32 PM »

I heard this from another board:
Shocking
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2873622.ece
More American military veterans have been committing suicide than US soldiers have been dying in Iraq, it was claimed yesterday.

At least 6,256 US veterans took their lives in 2005, at an average of 17 a day, according to figures broadcast last night. Former servicemen are more than twice as likely than the rest of the population to commit suicide.

Such statistics compare to the total of 3,863 American military deaths in Iraq since the invasion in 2003 - an average of 2.4 a day, according to the website ICasualties.org.

Absolutely unbelievable.
There are 25 million veterans in the United States, 1.6 million of whom served in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“Not everyone comes home from the war wounded, but the bottom line is nobody comes home unchanged,” said Paul Rieckhoff, a former Marine and founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans for America.

Newspaper revelations about conditions at the Walter Reed Army Medical Centre in Washington became a lightning rod for criticism of the war in general. The outpatient clinic was described as squalid and rat-infested; a maze of red tape left many outpatients – often with severe brain injuries – wandering the corridors without help.
andronicus

« Reply #421 on: Nov 19, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »

Every single person I've known who has been in a combat situation has had severe mental/emotional problems.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #422 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »

i read an article in esquire a year or two ago that talked about ways that boot camp training has changed in order to cut down on the incidence of people getting out on the field and freezing up or whatever--basically, our army has become far, far better than it was anytime in the past multiple hundreds of years at psychologically preparing soldiers to perform efficiently in battle. the problem, the article went on to explain, is that the sort of psychological preparation that occurs is actually traumatizing significant percentages of these veterans to the point that they can't learn to function well in normal, non-wartime situations anymore. so they come home from war and commit suicide and/or mass murder much more often than veterans of previous generations did. this is even true when compared with the veterans of the vietnam conflict, apparently, and god knows the post-traumatic stress those guys dealt with was pervasive and highly visible.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #423 on: Nov 20, 2007, 01:46:13 PM »

Can someone explain the whole jena 6 issue for me please?  I'm not saying that in the "ugh why is this a controversy" way, but in the "I wasn't paying attention and I can't find an objective opinion about it now". 

My basic understanding is this: Some white kids hung a noose in a tree, some black kids, understandably angry, beat the shit out of a white kid, who probably had a part in it, and the black kids went to jail.

so what's the beef here?  Was it that the penalty was excessive? 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
DCDave

« Reply #424 on: Nov 20, 2007, 02:15:24 PM »

The white kids may/may not have hung the noose.  The DA may/may not have told an assembly of black students that "He could end their lives with a stroke of a pen" etc., etc.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: new - newer - news
Jump to: