Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 31, 2014, 05:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Ghosthorse and Stillborn.  (Read 15489 times)
Good Intentions

« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »

jesus christ, man. you opened up the floor for this kind of talk, remember? you posted something pretentious and dismissive. and like i said above, i know that probably gets you praise in other circles, where being more jaded than thou is seen as a positive attribute, but around here people are going to try and take you down a peg whenever you talk like that, because it's bullshit and it constitutes a complete refusal to actually engage with the work under discussion. maybe i shouldn't have phrased it to blucas, maybe i should have just said it to you, but fuck it, i'm doing that right now, so better late than never, huh?
Talk like this also needs to be taken down a peg.
andronicus

« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »

Reckon ye best watch yerself, 'relse Sheriff Andrew'll run yew outta town on a rail.

*spits tobacco*
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2007, 12:21:17 AM »

don't know what i'm supposed to say to this...

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Good Intentions

« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2007, 12:56:26 AM »

I imagine most things except the more extreme edges of righteous indignation will do.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2007, 01:01:35 AM »

well, i'm sorry if i handled that whole thing wrong, but i stand by my actual point if not the way i put it across.

John
edit0r

« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2007, 07:45:30 AM »

I imagine most things except the more extreme edges of righteous indignation will do.

or failing that, extreme snark, eh GI

(sc. friendly winky face)
fever

« Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2007, 10:14:34 PM »

i have listened to "werewolf" at least 500 times. that song is worth the price of admisson alone. everyone who thinks diffrently is wrong.

"i keep looking in the mirror, afraid that i won't be there"

www.myspace.com/fever_
http://www.last.fm/user/feverX/
plainenglish

« Reply #32 on: Sep 26, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »

Man, there hasn't been a good squabble around here in quite some time, eh?

Seriously, I miss fighting with GI. Marinus, post some politico/literary opinions so I can take you down.

(Also I'm sad I missed the Bjork hateration. Not that I don't like her, I just think John's knee-jerk venom is funny.)

"If you don't want to have a good time, the door is... everywhere!" -- shirtless campfire guy, ZOOP!
Good Intentions

« Reply #33 on: Sep 26, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »

The more I post, the less coldforge posts, and he's the one carrying the bitchfight mantle at the moment.
ultralex

« Reply #34 on: Sep 28, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

Their mom probably drives an SUV!

From their Wikipedia entry: "Their estranged mother, a teacher and artist, would compulsively move the girls across the country from one state to another. Their estranged father traveled around the US teaching in Steiner Waldorf schools, and was involved in Shamanism and Peyote religion. Sierra and Bianca spent their summers hiking from reservation to reservation with their father."

That's a suburbanite biography if I ever saw one.
ultralex

« Reply #35 on: Sep 28, 2007, 04:55:47 PM »

...their first record predates the overrated Ms Newsom by about three years

J-Dog --

CocoRosie & Joanna Newsom are both right next to you on my top-three-favorite-bands-ever-forever list, so I'm wondering -- in what sense do you think Ms. Newsom's overrated?

--Sleepless in Sarasota

John
edit0r

« Reply #36 on: Sep 28, 2007, 08:53:13 PM »

eh I'm not gonna go on about it, it's nothing I feel strongly about

liked Mender, don't care about Ys, and that's how it ys
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #37 on: Sep 29, 2007, 10:53:59 AM »

[rimshot]

Swimmy

« Reply #38 on: Sep 29, 2007, 02:28:46 PM »

This is a good Joanna Newsom review, I think. Be sure to read the comments too.

A Gentile and a tax collector.
SPACERACE

« Reply #39 on: Sep 29, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »

my fave was "the production was pop-wank." since obviously if it sounds good it has sold out.

i also disagree strongly with his views on the harp, and think that joanna newsom has in fact directly disproven his claims.

i just with people would stop being all "oh i just can't listen to her voice!" and using that as the endgame for all reviews. perhaps some people like their music to have something grating to keep it interesting.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
Swimmy

« Reply #40 on: Sep 29, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »

Yeah, he's, uh. . . talking about something else with the production, there. Not the sound quality. And he also said he likes her voice, just that her music needs to be structured around its hippie-elf-girl quality. Don't get so grrr! At least he cracks good jokes.

SPACERACE

« Reply #41 on: Sep 29, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »

i dunno man, commenter guy? seemed to be implying that it no longer sounded "indie" because it sounded like people knew what they were doing when they made it.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
coldforge

« Reply #42 on: Sep 30, 2007, 12:45:38 AM »

The more I post, the less coldforge posts, and he's the one carrying the bitchfight mantle at the moment.
fuck you, you fucking twat.

l'era del terzo mondo.
peacocks

« Reply #43 on: Sep 30, 2007, 12:56:35 AM »

I think Joanna Newsom's voice sounds more mature in a good way on Ys.  On the EP that came out before the new album she redid some of the songs on Milk Eyed Mender and the vocals were so full and warm, a totally different experience.  I do find her little squeaks on Ys to be a tad annoying, but the music is so good I can get over it.

It annoys me to no end that someone would piss on something because it didn't sound indie enough.

LPTJ introduced me to both coco rosie and joanna newsom and they're both awesome whether their moms drive hummers or not.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007, 01:00:39 AM by peacocks » Logged

dick-check your priviledge
Swimmy

« Reply #44 on: Sep 30, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »

i dunno man, commenter guy? seemed to be implying that it no longer sounded "indie" because it sounded like people knew what they were doing when they made it.
Well, I know the guy from around the internets, and I've seen him blow up a number of times at exactly that sentiment, so I'm gonna give him the benefit of a doubt.

Almanzo

« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »

The first Cocorosie record is one of the most delicate and beautiful releases of this decade - the sisters' spidery voices, the delicate guitar, the creaky 8-bit beats and rustic sounds - "Saint Nicholas" in particular was ridiculously amazing. My love for that album knows no bounds. I pretty much despised the second record, on which the songwriting took a nosedive and which felt like a test-marketed "let's pander to hipsters!" exercise dreamed up in some indie boardroom - "Hey guys, here's what we'll do...we'll get Antony, Devendra, and the whole gang over to spice things up! Is Karen O. available? Shit, on tour in Europe...how about that sexually ambiguous guy from The Rapture? No? What's Kimya Dawson up to...?" Every collaboration on there was lifeless and embarrassing. I haven't listened to the new one yet, but I'm curious to see how they've turned out.

I hate rich people too, but I don't let that get in the way of dealing with art. Some of my favorite creators (Matthew Barney, Stephin Merritt) are, err, "independently wealthy."

Sodomize Intolerance
John
edit0r

« Reply #46 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »

both Antony and Devendra were personal friends with them before the first album so I don't think it was as namebrand-culling as you're making it out to be

I prefer Noah's Ark to the first one and the new one to either so it's all good from where I stand
Almanzo

« Reply #47 on: Oct 15, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »

both Antony and Devendra were personal friends with them before the first album so I don't think it was as namebrand-culling as you're making it out to be

Oh, I don't doubt it. I've never thought it was an actual crass decision - frankly, Cocorosie don't sell enough records - but it still felt like an all-star parade of Pfork's finest, "Cruisin' '05!" due to the zeitgeist under which Noah's Ark was released. Yes, this is a purely personal reaction.  Razz

Sodomize Intolerance
dieblucasdie

« Reply #48 on: Oct 16, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »

Ha!  Were that the case, I'd imagine pfork would've given it a better review.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #49 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:55:34 AM »

I think they wanted to make an example out of it. "Antony? Devendra? Must be a trap!"

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: Ghosthorse and Stillborn.
Jump to: