Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Ghosthorse and Stillborn.  (Read 15527 times)
guavacris

« Reply #50 on: Oct 16, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »

man, I've been staying away from this thread 'cause I don't get where some of this hype, hate, trappings comes from. this new album is crushing though and I can't listen to it in public or I start going nuts over li'l dinos while on the trolley. I'm so glad Bianca does most of the singing on this one too 'cause I want to crawl into her voice.
milesofsparks

« Reply #51 on: Oct 16, 2007, 07:45:19 PM »

I'm hearing them on Friday (if I don't get held hostage at work) at Deitch Projects at 9p for free, if anyone's interested and in the NYC area...

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
milesofsparks

« Reply #52 on: Oct 20, 2007, 12:33:45 AM »

I got held hostage at work, and by the time I got to Deitch they were full and not letting anyone else in.  meh.  some other time I guess.

jebreject

« Reply #53 on: Oct 20, 2007, 02:48:33 AM »

literally held hostage? that sounds frightening!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
milesofsparks

« Reply #54 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »

literally held hostage? that sounds frightening!

ha, I would be better equipped to escape from that situation. 

Danen

« Reply #55 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »

So I'm reviving this discussion because I used to dislike this album, and now I don't. In fact, over the last three weeks I've come to like it a lot. I didn't warm to the duo at first - got the first album and it never hooked me in any way, sorta like Vetiver. And a month ago, I would've been on the side of the haters,  but for some reason on a day I was bored and needing something to drive to work on, I ran into this. So I put it on a stack of stuff and thought, "two songs. I'll give it two songs." Admittedly, part of what drove me back was the hatred that exists in much of the online press solely for this record. Yes, many of the lyrics are obvious, yet when strung together as an album, I find that they're largely effective. No, I don't want to read them on a page, but they serve their purpose: to accentuate the music. I like the dichotomy of the sisters' voices against each other - if it was all Bianca, it wouldn't be as good. It might also be that I was getting into Burial about the same time, and I liked the beats. Something about that at this time of year just works for me, I don't know why.

But part of the point with me is that I like this best as a record, as a full album. I do get tired of the more single oriented releases, where it seems like the band is more concerned with what song what blog will post as "mp3 of the day" than how the album holds together. I also like that the album has repeating themes but no overarching "concept." And yeah, a few songs do get on my nerves, but the girls keep most of them fairly short.

And finally, they know how to keep a hook. This is a thing I get irate about concerning, say, Animal Collective. I like them fine, but in what way are these guys doing anything so genius? The ten minute drones with nothing better to say? The tribal drums mixed in with the formless vocals? Again, some of it is fine, but I'm amazed at how many exalt that but find this pretentious. Parts of this are "precious," but maybe it's because the sisters are concerned less with impressing the right critics or blog-posters and more with creating a cogent whole, letting the music wander where it will.

It still won't be for everyone, but I don't think it's supposed to be. I do think it's worth a listen, and a lot more than a pat dismissal.

And for what it's worth, it ripped the new Bjork album...
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2007, 11:51:55 PM by Danen » Logged
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #56 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:21:48 AM »

hah, that bjork album disappeared completely. i actually downloaded it but never listened to it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #57 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:57:37 PM »

Someone actually put this on at a party a couple weeks ago, and I recognized it b/c this thread lead me to listen to a few tracks. Conversation ground to a complete halt, and then someone put on some Creedence.

think 'on the road.'
John
edit0r

« Reply #58 on: Dec 14, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »

yes, well, if it doesn't help the vibe at the party, what the hell good is it?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #59 on: Dec 14, 2007, 01:05:13 PM »

I think it may've just been the wrong crowd. Though I can't really imagine what the right crowd would look like.

Well, alright, I can imagine exactly what they'd look like but that's no kind of party I want to be at.

think 'on the road.'
C of heartbreak

« Reply #60 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »

yes, well, if it doesn't help the vibe at the party, what the hell good is it?

That's what Kid Rock says anyway.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
autumn

« Reply #61 on: Jan 17, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »

I know this is an older thread, but...

I have loved this album since it first came out.  But, very recently, it has become THE album to listen to.  A very loved/best friend/soul sister of mine lost her brother this weekend.  He was 27 and he was more than his illness.  I'm not going to count how many times the album mentions the death of a brother or the toll of schizophrenia because, even though that's what makes it relevant, it's the willing to surrender to what's bigger than yourself part that helps.  It's got that "somewhere over the rainbow" feel to it that acknowledges that words can't express that sort of loss but they can create a place where it's ok to go and mourn.  My friend has not heard this album yet, so I have purchased a copy to add to the many gifts we have been making for her. 

The two of us are pieces of a group that has been virtually inseparable for the last 10 years; so we all feel like we've lost a brother, and it's never easy to have to let someone go through that experience alone.  In the last 2-3 years, the two of us have realized that, while we don't always like the same music, we use it in the same way.  To this, we started communicating with each other strongly through shared albums and concerts.  We went together to Mountain Goats show in Lawrence, KS a few months ago (it was her first) and many more beyond that.  I know that this album is difficult (for even more reasons now), but it's the only music I have been able to think about this last week.  Funny how outside circumstances can raise the importance of certain things in our lives.  I was going to always love this album, now it's one of those pivotal pieces that will live on the top shelf forever.

Yours for the revolution.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: Ghosthorse and Stillborn.
Jump to: