Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658237 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 32 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Jandek Catch-All  (Read 25541 times)
Anne the Man

« Reply #75 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:00:20 AM »

Like, seriously, I don't understand why people like, say, Maroon 5, but I'm not going to go aroud accusing thme of making it up just to be cool

But there ain't nobody who's gonna give you mad props for your extensive Maroon 5 collection

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #76 on: Feb 16, 2008, 11:21:31 AM »

that depends on what circles you travel in.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »

The trope might be old and boring, but I know with absolute certainty that it's true of more than a few people I know.

Personally, I think Jandek's boring as hell, by and large. I've heard a couple decent tracks, but I can't imagine wading through like hours and hours of this stuff.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »

the problem i have isn't with people going "i know a few people who only claim to like jandek [or any other band you care to name] because it's hip to do so." i'm sure they do. what i don't like is the people who go "i know a few people who only claim to like jandek because it's hip to do so, THEREFORE every jandek fan in the world is only pretending to like jandek for hipster points." that shit is obnoxious and offensive.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #79 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »

To be fair, Jandek fans who are always ready to get up on the cross for their esoteric offbeat taste in music are pretty obnoxious, too

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #80 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »

yeah, but dude, when people jump into threads like this and are all "jandek is bullshit, no one actually listens to his music", what are people who do like his music supposed to do? if you don't say anything back to someone like that, they'll assume they're right.

then again, i guess if you do say anything back to a person like that, they'll STILL assume they're right, because they're not actually interested in a dialogue when they have an attitude like that. so i guess your point is made.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #81 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:35:44 PM »

Yeah really I steered clear of this thread up until now because I didn't have much to say beyond the fact that I think dude is boring.

think 'on the road.'
Almanzo

« Reply #82 on: Feb 18, 2008, 01:00:19 AM »

Claiming that Jandek fans are only in it for the cred is like saying that 99.9% of people who claim to really love Ulysses are doing the same thing - of course it's true. It's so true that you actually shouldn't even say it, that's how true it is.

That aside, I recently got into "You'll never walk alone" - someone compared it to a sort of fractured hillbilly take on the third Velvets record, and that's actually a pretty good explanation of why it's so appealing to listen to.

Sodomize Intolerance
jebreject

« Reply #83 on: Feb 18, 2008, 01:51:13 AM »

the problem i have isn't with people going "i know a few people who only claim to like jandek [or any other band you care to name] because it's hip to do so." i'm sure they do. what i don't like is the people who go "i know a few people who only claim to like jandek because it's hip to do so, THEREFORE every jandek fan in the world is only pretending to like jandek for hipster points." that shit is obnoxious and offensive.

something something young people with mustaches something something

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #84 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

Claiming that Jandek fans are only in it for the cred is like saying that 99.9% of people who claim to really love Ulysses are doing the same thing - of course it's true. It's so true that you actually shouldn't even say it, that's how true it is.

oh look, an excuse to be a pretentious dickhead! better jump on it with both feet!

also, jeb, i don't know if i've acknowledged it on here before, but i'm fully aware that my stance on mustaches doesn't actually make logical sense. i actually know people with non-ironic mustaches. BUT i still have a kneejerk negative reaction to them that no amount of rationalizing gets rid of.

jebreject

« Reply #85 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »

I'm just pickin' on you, Andrew.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #86 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »

fair enough. i guess i should just have said "touche" and left it at that.

Doctor Bob

« Reply #87 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

fair enough. i guess i should just have said "tache" and left it at that.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
jebreject

« Reply #88 on: Feb 18, 2008, 12:11:13 PM »

I mean, my point is that they're the same kind of argument: I don't understand this/like this, so I'm going to assume that everyone else feels the same way, and if they claim to feel differently, they are lying (to look hip, etc.)

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #89 on: Feb 18, 2008, 12:56:45 PM »

i'm apparently not making myself clear. i totally know what your point is, and i agree. all i'm saying is that, despite my knowledge that my instinctive annoyance at mustaches on young dudes doesn't have a rational, logical backing, i still feel said annoyance. i argued with you dudes about it once for quite a while, but i wasn't even completely serious then, and i definitely wouldn't try to make a rational argument for my position at this point, having thought about it more.

but i still hate mustaches on dudes under 45, for all that. and i still tend to have a more negative first impression of dudes with mustaches than i would if they were either clean shaven or had a full beard. i know there's no objective reason to do this, but nonetheless, it happens.

Dylan Thomas

« Reply #90 on: Feb 18, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »

i'm apparently not making myself clear. i totally know what your point is, and i agree. all i'm saying is that, despite my knowledge that my instinctive annoyance at mustaches on young dudes doesn't have a rational, logical backing, i still feel said annoyance. i argued with you dudes about it once for quite a while, but i wasn't even completely serious then, and i definitely wouldn't try to make a rational argument for my position at this point, having thought about it more.

but i still hate mustaches on dudes under 45, for all that. and i still tend to have a more negative first impression of dudes with mustaches than i would if they were either clean shaven or had a full beard. i know there's no objective reason to do this, but nonetheless, it happens.

Apparently you always make yourself clear
in the first post you make on any subject.

It is apparent that you will then proceed
to act as a piece of sandpaper on eyeballs
and continue to grind out your oppinion
over and over, until eventually, nobody
gives a shit if you're right or wrong!

They just want to kick you in the mouth
for being such an obnoxious lil bitch
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008, 02:03:34 PM by Dylan Thomas » Logged
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #91 on: Feb 18, 2008, 03:21:21 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa what the holy hell.

SPACERACE

« Reply #92 on: Feb 18, 2008, 03:23:16 PM »

lolocaust
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008, 03:27:49 PM by SPACERACE » Logged

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #93 on: Feb 18, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »

oh wow, made fun of by someone's fake profile. it's like moc all over again.

jebreject

« Reply #94 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »

Andrew I wasn't meaning to say you were being hypocritical or something, just goofin' around at first, and agreeing with you

jebreject

« Reply #95 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »

Also DNFDT!

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #96 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »

ok that's cool. sorry i'm dense sometimes.

Thermofusion

« Reply #97 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »

Apparently you always make yourself clear
in the first post you make on any subject.

It is apparent that you will then proceed
to act as a piece of sandpaper on eyeballs
and continue to grind out your oppinion
over and over, until eventually, nobody
gives a shit if you're right or wrong!

They just want to kick you in the mouth
for being such an obnoxious lil bitch

Ned, cool it.  Just cool it.

triple paisley minimum
Almanzo

« Reply #98 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:48:24 PM »

oh look, an excuse to be a pretentious dickhead! better jump on it with both feet!

Aw, come on, let's be honest with ourselves here.

Sodomize Intolerance
Thermofusion

« Reply #99 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »

It's amazing how many threads turn into LPTJ vs. Andrew, and what's even more remarkable is how well he takes it in stride. 

triple paisley minimum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Jandek Catch-All
Jump to: