Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 18, 2014, 09:43:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658005 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Jandek Catch-All  (Read 25025 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #100 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »

Claiming that Jandek fans are only in it for the cred is like saying that 99.9% of people who claim to really love Ulysses are doing the same thing - of course it's true. It's so true that you actually shouldn't even say it, that's how true it is.

if gross generalizations were assholes, LPTJ would be Yankee Stadium.

triple paisley minimum
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #101 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »

It's amazing how many threads turn into LPTJ vs. Andrew, and what's even more remarkable is how well he takes it in stride. 
Claiming that Jandek fans are only in it for the cred is like saying that 99.9% of people who claim to really love Ulysses are doing the same thing - of course it's true. It's so true that you actually shouldn't even say it, that's how true it is.

if gross generalizations were assholes, LPTJ would be Yankee Stadium.

If LPTJ were only its loudmouthed fringe, every post would turn into a //

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Thermofusion

« Reply #102 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:29:40 PM »

The loudmouthed fringe doesn't know when to //.  Knowing when to // is what separates your pollos from your waffles

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #103 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:17:48 AM »

oh look, an excuse to be a pretentious dickhead! better jump on it with both feet!

Aw, come on, let's be honest with ourselves here.

so, what, you're either calling me and like 15 other people who regularly post on this board liars or you're saying that we represent less than .1% of the total number of professed jandek fans. i think it's probably the former you're driving at.

seriously, dude, i try to be cool with you, but if i lived in chicago right now i'd come over to your house and punch you in the cock until you barfed.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #104 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:42:29 AM »

Holy shit "punch you in the cock till you barf" is the most hilarious fucking thing I've ever read.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Almanzo

« Reply #105 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »

oh look, an excuse to be a pretentious dickhead! better jump on it with both feet!

Aw, come on, let's be honest with ourselves here.

so, what, you're either calling me and like 15 other people who regularly post on this board liars or you're saying that we represent less than .1% of the total number of professed jandek fans. i think it's probably the former you're driving at.

seriously, dude, i try to be cool with you, but if i lived in chicago right now i'd come over to your house and punch you in the cock until you barfed.

Sodomize Intolerance
Almanzo

« Reply #106 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:54:31 AM »

I'd like to issue a formal apology and correction; the Jandek album I've been digging is called "you'll walk alone," not "you'll never walk alone," which is a Gerry and The Pacemakers compilation I've been listening to at the same time.

Sodomize Intolerance
Danen

« Reply #107 on: Feb 21, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »

Okay, so I've been listening to the new Jandek album like crazy for the last week and the more I hear it, the more I think the man is fucking ON right now. It's called Myth of Blue Icicles (not to be confused with dreams of blue turtles), and it's a return to the kind of dream-crazy-lyrics-sung-by-man-with-curiously-tuned-acoustic-guitar music that seems to turn on many people who like Jandek music (I've intentionally stayed out of above argument, btw - I think my stance on the issue is clear). It's over in less than 40 minutes and contains - in its last track - one of the finest pieces of music he's ever put down. I don't know that I'd plug this for the newbie, but for those into his solo stuff, this is your record. The fact that his Dublin show will be acoustic/vocal (only the second ever) tells me he's digging this way of playing again. It shows in the music. As ever, order direct from the artist and get a cool catalog.

Also, upcoming shows in both Philidelphia and Ann Arbor, in addition to Dublin and SXSW. A really good time to be a fan. Additional info on the shows is up (I think) at http://tisue.net/jandek.
jebreject

« Reply #108 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

Oh shit, I could totally make it to Ann Arbor!

jebreject

« Reply #109 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »

And it's the day before my birthday!

ellaguru

« Reply #110 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »

Oh shit, I could totally make it to Ann Arbor!

I was sort of counting the miles myself. But it's a little inconvenient, what with no car, an international border to a hostile nation and 300 miles.

I'll still irritated, though, that I missed his Montreal show. Sure, it's just as far and Quebec is an equally hostile nation, but at least there woulda been no border hassles.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Danen

« Reply #111 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:31:03 PM »

I'll still irritated, though, that I missed his Montreal show. Sure, it's just as far and Quebec is an equally hostile nation, but at least there woulda been no border hassles.

Man, I wish I coulda gone to Montreal, too. Toronto was so much fun (as you know), and I heard a lot of the same people were involved with the Montreal show. Sadly, I'll also miss Ann Arbor. Shame the border crossing stunts your chances of going. My job isn't going to let me out for either Philie or Ann Arbor, but I have hopes of something closer to Colorado coming this summer when I got time.

EDIT: Hey jeb, happy b-day in advance - great present. Post details for those of us not so fortunate to be there.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2008, 11:36:15 PM by Danen » Logged
Ah_Pook

« Reply #112 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:34:02 PM »

dammit you guys arent being honest enough with yourselves

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #113 on: Feb 22, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »

the jandek set i saw last year was one of my favorite shows of the year. that's probably just a post-hypnotic suggestion i planted in my own brain, though. right before i planted the suggestion that i didn't know how to hypnotize myself.

ellaguru

« Reply #114 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:33:59 AM »

dammit you guys arent being honest enough with yourselves

Hey, if you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Danen

« Reply #115 on: Feb 22, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »

the jandek set i saw last year was one of my favorite shows of the year. that's probably just a post-hypnotic suggestion i planted in my own brain, though. right before i planted the suggestion that i didn't know how to hypnotize myself.

The Atlanta show WAS my favorite show of last year - spellbinding. I had the pleasure of seeing it with Maaik, who seemed equally spellbound. In fact, at all the shows I've seen (six now), scores of people have been surprised and moved by the music, which features REAL MUSICIANS (pros, no less, from bands like Tortoise). Sure, it's not for all, and nobody pays much mind to those who want to leave. Thinking over this, in fact (yeah, I know I was gonna stay out of the argument, but this is a valid point) I realized that most of the Jandek fans I've met at the shows were...how to put this...stable. Like, they had jobs and girlfriends (or boyfriends), sometimes kids, real actual LIVES. The "fakers" (and there are some) split after the second song, usually. By the end of the show, attendees find themselves surrounded by other people of a similar mindset. I've met death metal-lovin' Jandek fans, people mostly into jazz, sixties music, Indie Rock like Wilco, 70's rock like Tom Petty (oh wait, that's Jandek himself), you name it. If there's a world where being into Jandek somehow buys you "scene points," then it's a scene I stay clear of, as do most Jandek listeners I know. When I discovered Jandek in 1993 (as a college dj), nobody wanted to hear it, and nobody cared that I liked it.

I might also point out, to the person that digs "You'll Walk Alone" (which includes the best Velvets instrumental not actually by the Velvets: "Lavender") that there's a great sequence of albums featuring a full band playing similar music around that one. Pick up "The Living End," "One Foot in the North," and "Lost Cause" for a similar vibe. Or stretch out a touch with same-period albums like "Blue Corpse" (many believer's "first Jandek" album. I recommend it and "Chair Beside a Window" as good take-off points) or (for some real flipped out stuff) "Somebody in the Snow."
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008, 01:38:01 PM by Danen » Logged
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #116 on: Feb 22, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »

damn, i really need to get a whole lot of jandek albums sometime in the near future.

Maaik

« Reply #117 on: Feb 25, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »

I've said it and I'll say it again: Jandek live in Atlanta = Dylan going electric.  The show was that fucking good.

I need anne the man lessons
Danen

« Reply #118 on: Apr 02, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »

I had to post this because it hit me yesterday that there is next to nothing about Jandek's upcoming June show in Dublin at Trinity College. Wait, let me clarify that further: there is next to nothing about Jandek's show AND EXHIBITION at Trinity College.  I mean, it's still kind of early, admittedly. But still...The only "official" info I can find is here:

http://www.douglashydegallery.com/events/

Note that said link doesn't even mention that the show starts at 8 pm, or is purported to be a solo acoustic show, but that's what a message to the Jandek list said.

Further exploration of the website led me to this:

http://www.douglashydegallery.com/programme/

Which gives the dates that his exhibition is running. And that leads to questions like: is this only the album covers? Is this NEW art? Does anyone know anything about this? The more I think about it, the more I realize how big this thing is. I recall hearing that there is a coffee table book of the art in the show coming out. Is this right? Is my memory finally going out? If I'm reading/recalling all of this correctly, this thing is HUGE! I figured that made it worth mentioning.

Also, the Ann Arbor show features the following instrumentation:

trumpet. harpshichord. Dancer.

Dancer????

It's a free show, and looks to be a classic. I think the man is doing some incredibly interesting stuff right now, and figured that those who could see any of this should. Next week is also the Philadelphia show, and I don't know much about that, except that there's a MySpace page linked to mine with little info on it. Very interesting...
difficult

« Reply #119 on: Apr 02, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »

Hi Danen!
Yeah I saw the dancer too... Reminded me a little of Derek Bailey actually. Its a very strange lineup...I love how he's trying all these weird possibilities out here.

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
alistarr*

« Reply #120 on: Apr 03, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »

so i just send a money order to this po box address and at some point a bunch of cds arrive?
Doctor Bob

« Reply #121 on: Apr 03, 2008, 04:40:51 AM »

I had to post this because it hit me yesterday that there is next to nothing about Jandek's upcoming June show in Dublin at Trinity College. Wait, let me clarify that further: there is next to nothing about Jandek's show AND EXHIBITION at Trinity College.  I mean, it's still kind of early, admittedly. But still...The only "official" info I can find is here:

http://www.douglashydegallery.com/events/

Note that said link doesn't even mention that the show starts at 8 pm, or is purported to be a solo acoustic show, but that's what a message to the Jandek list said.

Further exploration of the website led me to this:

http://www.douglashydegallery.com/programme/

Which gives the dates that his exhibition is running. And that leads to questions like: is this only the album covers? Is this NEW art? Does anyone know anything about this? The more I think about it, the more I realize how big this thing is. I recall hearing that there is a coffee table book of the art in the show coming out. Is this right? Is my memory finally going out? If I'm reading/recalling all of this correctly, this thing is HUGE! I figured that made it worth mentioning.

I'd heard there was an exhibition too, but I don't know what it's going to contain- possibly all of the album artwork but nothing new?  The Gallery 2 space that it's scheduled for is, I think, a pretty small room that's reserved for themed shows- there's a series that's been running for a while called 'Paradise __'.

If I hear any more, I'll post it here.  (I knew the show was coming up before it was announced anywhere, but I resisted posting it here for fear of putting a spanner in the works.  I think The Brother, Johnp, planted the seed that led, finally, to this show taking place- he gave the gallery director a CD and DVD a while back.  He did the same for Jolie Holland too, at my request- alas, no sign of that show yet.)

Anyway- thanks for the reminder.  I've been meaning to pick up tickets.

Will you be in attendance?

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
Doctor Bob

« Reply #122 on: Apr 03, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »

Edited to include full correspondence- mainly for the reference to the book.

Re: Jandek concert, June 13th

Dear DHG,

Are the tickets for the Jandek show on Friday June 13th available yet?  And If so, where?  Although the show is included on your website, I can't see how to go about booking.

If it is by e-mail, could I reserve two for collection in the next couple of days, please?  If not, I'd appreciate if you could let me know how to get them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Robert.

Dear Robert,

I am afraid that tickets are not on sale yet. We will be selling them from early may onwards. We don't have the facilities to take reservations at the moment. However when I have further information I will contact you to let you know about ticket sales. If you would prefer me to call you please email me with your telephone number.

Best wishes,
Sheena.

Hi Sheena,

Thanks for letting me know- I was a little uncertain about it and I've a friend travelling from overseas for the gig and exhibition, so I didn't want to disappoint her with bad news.

My mobile number is 086 XXXXXXX, or this e-mail address is checked daily.

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Regards,

Robert.

Great I'll give you a call in early May. We haven't really started promoting it yet so that's the reason why things are a little quiet with it at the moment. We are also currently working on a book of Jandek album covers which we will have back in the gallery for the exhibition!
Best wishes,
Sheena

Yes, alex, that's you I'm referring to above.  I know your revised plans (I'll reply to your e-mail shortly), but I thought it would add weight to my request for tickets.  Also, you might still make it over...

Anyone else want in?
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008, 07:41:11 AM by Doctor Bob » Logged

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
alistarr*

« Reply #123 on: Apr 03, 2008, 07:53:50 AM »

so i just send a money order to this po box address and at some point a bunch of cds arrive?

ha, so i just searched the lptj archives for jandek recommendations and then went through the discography picking out the interesting sounding ones, and ended up with a list of exactly 20. i call it fate.

the question above still stands though - is this preferred mode of ordering to the UK?
ellaguru

« Reply #124 on: Apr 03, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »

Whenever I think I should order some, I keep thinking that 20 is so many. Which is kindof ridiculous, since at full price they're still pretty cheap.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Jandek Catch-All
Jump to: