Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 05:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657939 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: more uncertainty: the crisis continues  (Read 52125 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #375 on: Dec 28, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »

Social networking sites are one of those things that make me feel like an old man shaking my fist at the goddamn whippersnappers. I had MySpace for a while, but deleted it after I came to the realization that it's mostly for people of Gump-level intelligence. Facebook is slightly less awful. I told my friend the other day that I think social networking sites like that strip human interaction down to its most insipid, ultimately meaningless elements, and he told me I'm just an old codger.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #376 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:43:38 PM »

shit, i find that actual in person conversation is often just human interaction stripped down to its most insipid, meaningless elements. people do not like to talk about anything of consequence in any forum, but that doesn't stop them from wanting to talk. most human interaction consists of people pitching bullshit at each other full-tilt and without stopping for hours at a time.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
SPACERACE

« Reply #377 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:11:31 PM »

do you just only know idiots or something?

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #378 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »

no, i just find that my friends are an exception to the rule and that most people are pretty damn stupid.

SPACERACE

« Reply #379 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:08:08 PM »

well, yeah, virtually everyone is an idiot to varying extents at different times. that's part of being a person. but like, your description of what most conversations are like sounds more than a little embittered.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
G.C.R

« Reply #380 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »

Facebok can be pretty invasive. My boyfriend didnt want it showing his married/single/hooked up status, and it defaulted to single, so he tried to take it off, and it sent every one of his facebook friends a little heart saying COLIN HAS MET SOMEONE! Heart

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
elpollodiablo

« Reply #381 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »

Yeah, that's stupid.

think 'on the road.'
G.C.R

« Reply #382 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:29:24 PM »

S why I dont join em!

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
elpollodiablo

« Reply #383 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »

Really, the whole thing's stupid. I used to think 'Hey, this is a great way to keep up with people I wouldn't otherwise' but really I don't wanna keep up with anyone I wouldn't otherwise write or call.

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #384 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »

It completely destroys the whole 'oh I haven't seen x in 10 years, wonder what they're up to' thing too.  Not only do I not want to keep up with anyone I don't feel the need to write or call, I also don't want to write or call anyone who is not related to me.  So these sites really destroy the only context in which I'm interested in these people, as sort of a running into them at the supermarket kind of thing.
heather marie

« Reply #385 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »

You also don't ever want to play Scrabulous with me EVER, you jerk.
morgan

« Reply #386 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »

I'm on myspace and facebook.  I just joined facebook a month or two ago, and I really don't like the layout.  It seems really cluttered and ugly to me, so I tend to avoid going there at all.  That, coupled with the fact that people keep trying to get me to join lame vampire groups or something, really makes me wish that everyone I'm keeping in touch with via facebook was just on myspace instead.
jebreject

« Reply #387 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:06:16 AM »

Wait, you prefer the layout of myspace to facebook? I'm not standing up for facebook here at all, but myspace has to be one of the ugliest sites on the web. And one of it's key selling points is that you can make it as ugly as you want to!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #388 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »

Myspace is the advertisement you personalize. It is seriously one of the ugliest, shittiest tech jobbers I have ever used. It is like a million retarded children howling into the wind.

106 million, sorry

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #389 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:18:03 AM »

Also, as far as uncertainty goes: I haven't been to work since last Sunday, and I don't go back until next Saturday. I don't really need the money right now, but this is kind of fuckin ridiculous. Stupid overstaffing.

At least school doesn't start until the 8th. Woohoo!

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #390 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »

My uncertainty: we have a furnace in our bedroom, rather than the heat being shared between the lower and upper flats. Last night, twice the furnace shot a flame about a foot out the side, after making a loud POP! noise. Luckily there is nothing right there so nothing caught on fire, but holy fuck is this kinda scary. I called the maintenance guy/new landlord and he's coming to take a look at it but honestly the guy is wholly inept so I don't know what will happen.

(Speaking of all this, can one get out of a lease if your landlord dies and their successor is a total fuckwit?)

elpollodiablo

« Reply #391 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:45:27 AM »

Jesus christ, that's fucking terrifying!

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #392 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:41:24 PM »

My uncertainty: we have a furnace in our bedroom, rather than the heat being shared between the lower and upper flats. Last night, twice the furnace shot a flame about a foot out the side, after making a loud POP! noise. Luckily there is nothing right there so nothing caught on fire, but holy fuck is this kinda scary. I called the maintenance guy/new landlord and he's coming to take a look at it but honestly the guy is wholly inept so I don't know what will happen.

(Speaking of all this, can one get out of a lease if your landlord dies and their successor is a total fuckwit?)

you know, my furnace did this last winter. and then after the big pop, it would go out and i'd have to relight the pilot. it turned out that one of the regulating components related to the pilot had gone bad and had to be replaced. it was a really straightforward repair job.

but i mean, my furnace is also in my basement, with nothing near it to get caught on fire if it decides to do this. having it be in your bedroom's pretty fucking scary.

milesofsparks

« Reply #393 on: Dec 29, 2007, 01:47:03 PM »

My uncertainty: we have a furnace in our bedroom,...

there's an actual furnace IN your bedroom?  I really doubt that's allowed by the building code.  you could talk to your local fire inspector/building inspector and likely get your landlord in a heap of trouble if you're so inclined.  might be worth it as it sounds frighteningly dangerous.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
jebreject

« Reply #394 on: Dec 29, 2007, 06:26:24 PM »

I don't want to get my landlord in trouble really but yeah it is fucking freaky and we were always a bit suspect of it

Anyway the problem apparently is that it is really dirty.

girl

« Reply #395 on: Dec 29, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »

I would get renter's insurance for your stuff and hope that you're not actually in the apartment when it burns down.  I'm only half kidding. A furnace shouldn't shoot out flames. I hope he fixes it right away, jeb!

this is a story and you're not in it
morgan

« Reply #396 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:06:43 PM »

Wait, you prefer the layout of myspace to facebook? I'm not standing up for facebook here at all, but myspace has to be one of the ugliest sites on the web. And one of it's key selling points is that you can make it as ugly as you want to!

Yes, I prefer the layout of myspace to facebook.  My page is personalised, so it's just as simple as I want it to be.  I can't do that with facebook, and I like I said, everything just looks really cluttered to me.  There's just too much shit.  Also I don't like the colour scheme.
Antero

« Reply #397 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:23:38 PM »

Also I don't like the colour scheme.
The color scheme of white?

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
morgan

« Reply #398 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:33:21 PM »

Yeah, white and blue, I just don't like it.  It just seems so boring.

Edit: Have I like, personally offended you guys by saying I like the myspace layout better than the one on friendster?  What's going on here?
jebreject

« Reply #399 on: Dec 30, 2007, 02:36:48 AM »

No. Of course not. It's just ... Myspace?

(I don't really use Facebook much myself, and I don't have a single one of those stupid applications installed--like I give a fuck who you want to be compared to!--but I refuse to make a personal profile on Myspace and no one uses Virb. And Facebook does pretty much everything I need to without almost all the major annoyances of Myspace)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: more uncertainty: the crisis continues
Jump to: