Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 23, 2014, 07:04:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658205 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 47 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: truth 24 times per second: the new movie thread  (Read 33509 times)
Greg Nog

« Reply #425 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:39:59 AM »

Here in New York, apparently.  I'm not sure if the rest of the country is later, or what.  Alls I know is that I was looking for the soonest day possible to get tickets, and Wednesday evening popped up on fandango.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #426 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:48:33 AM »

Wed. here too, I remember noticing that and being confused.
hannah

« Reply #427 on: Nov 12, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »

I didn't go to a movie yesterday. (I did watch two episodes of The Wire, though. Most excellent. Trivia: that's one of Richard Price's daughters who is visits Hamsterdam in her SUV.)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #428 on: Nov 12, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »

(I did watch two episodes of The Wire, though. Most excellent. Trivia: that's one of Richard Price's daughters who is visits Hamsterdam in her SUV.)

that is awesome. i love stuff like that.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
hannah

« Reply #429 on: Nov 12, 2007, 12:54:06 PM »

(I did watch two episodes of The Wire, though. Most excellent. Trivia: that's one of Richard Price's daughters who is visits Hamsterdam in her SUV.)

that is awesome. i love stuff like that.

I mentioned this before, but Richard Price makes an appearance in season two. He's the one teaching The Great Gatsby.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #430 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »

oh shit i didn't know that either!

i really need to borrow those seasons from brandon and rewatch them all. such a great show.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
hannah

« Reply #431 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »

I'll be in the TV thread. See you!
auto-da-fey

« Reply #432 on: Nov 12, 2007, 10:44:44 PM »

I watched a second Jess Franco movie today, which I justified to myself on the grounds that I had completed my prep work for tomorrow at an unusually early hour and the movie was only 75 minutes long. Doriana Grey is basically a scene-for-scene 1976 remake of Franco's own 1973 Female Vampire, except instead of being a vampire, Lina Romay is, well, you get it. I think she probably spends about 30 of those 75 minutes masturbating in graphic, clinical detail, which probably limits the film's appeal. Then there are two hardcore scenes, leaving just enough time for two scenes worth of "plot." Watching this mostly felt like crossing an item off a checklist--an undertaking that isn't entirely without its satisfaction, though.
Bernard

« Reply #433 on: Nov 12, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »

Top five Argento films: 1. Deep Red 2. Tenebre 3. Suspiria 4. Bird with the Crystal Plummage. 5. Opera.

For some reason I've been mulling this over all day, off and on. My list wouldn't look much different. I'm not too committed to the precise order here, but I think I'd have
1. tie: Deep Red / Suspiria (the conventional wisdom sometimes being actually wise, I guess)
3. Bird with the Crystal Plumage
4. Cat o' Nine Tails
5. either Tenebrae or Inferno, with Stendhal Syndrome at 7.

Wait, what's 6 then?

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
auto-da-fey

« Reply #434 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:04:29 PM »

Wait, what's 6 then?

probably Inferno tonight, I think Tenebrae has the edge. Although when I think about it, Stendhal could actually be forcing a three-way tie for fifth. I'm not sure I get the question.
guanajuato

« Reply #435 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:16:49 PM »

If you minus the beautiful opera of the underwater scene, Inferno is a complete disaster.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
auto-da-fey

« Reply #436 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:22:01 PM »

But I don't minus it! Plus, that seems less the case if you don't privilege narrative coherency--and I'm with difficult that, with Argento, one shouldn't. So I appreciate it as an immersive dreamscape, although if I recall correctly, it's one of those movies that lacks a real director's cut version, so I'm sure it could be better. Also there would be something of a dip in quality once my list hit 8, I think.
guanajuato

« Reply #437 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:26:35 PM »

I waited like, a year to see No Country For Old Men, and then they open it in select cities, none of which, are here. That's just fucked. I rented Daywatch instead. Man, I hope they don't make another movie in that series, because Daywatch was foul. INDEED. I followed the first film (Nightwatch) and even liked it, somewhat, if only for the fantastic, tentacled dolls. This one was junk. There was this extended body transfer scenario just so there could be an extended scene of faux lesbianism that didn't even show anything.

lastclearchance

« Reply #438 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:29:39 PM »

This one was junk.

I wasn't expecting anything better than that so I enjoyed it. My favorite part was when the film ended by erasing the entirety of the events not only of Daywatch but also of Nightwatch. Hilarious.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
guanajuato

« Reply #439 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:34:46 PM »

But I don't minus it! Plus, that seems less the case if you don't privilege narrative coherency--and I'm with difficult that, with Argento, one shouldn't. So I appreciate it as an immersive dreamscape, although if I recall correctly, it's one of those movies that lacks a real director's cut version, so I'm sure it could be better. Also there would be something of a dip in quality once my list hit 8, I think.

It's unfortunate that the swimming scene is at the beginning! Best part of the movie, because there's real tension! That part at the end where the chick turns into the grim reaper...hah. Yeah. Nice one Dario.

guanajuato

« Reply #440 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »

This one was junk.

I wasn't expecting anything better than that so I enjoyed it. My favorite part was when the film ended by erasing the entirety of the events not only of Daywatch but also of Nightwatch. Hilarious.

Is that what happened? I started fast forwarding when Anton finally got to the Nightwatch party! The "chalk of destiny" is such a super lame idea!! Could he think of nothing better than chalk?

maggiego

« Reply #441 on: Nov 13, 2007, 12:34:08 AM »

I am going to watch Darkon in 27 minutes, so if anyone wants to urge me on/steer me clear, hurry! Thx.

Hi, I see you're really good at Centipede.
difficult

« Reply #442 on: Nov 13, 2007, 01:24:27 AM »

Doesn't anyone else get the greatness of Phenomena at all? I mean Creepers is pretty indifferent, but at the longer version its pretty rocking and ridiculous.
And the last half an hour is beautiful!

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
auto-da-fey

« Reply #443 on: Nov 13, 2007, 01:50:53 AM »

Actually, yeah--I wouldn't go as far as "greatness," but I was also wrong in suggesting a dip in quality after my list. That should really be duking it out for 5, too. I don't think I've ever seen the Creepers cut.
Sing The Children Over

« Reply #444 on: Nov 13, 2007, 03:46:07 AM »

I have a soft spot for Trauma myself.

Meanwhile I have several films competing for my attention tonight. Death Proof. L'Humanite. Flandres. Who's Camus Anyway? Come and See or perhaps A Long Day Closes.

Part of me thanks to Whit just wants to sit and watch Vampyros Lesbos for the upteenth time. Soledad Miranda to the power of 10.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2007, 03:52:00 AM by Sing The Children Over » Logged

The almighty dollar it ain't what it used to be.
old kentucky shark

« Reply #445 on: Nov 13, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »

"peeping tom"! this was a really good movie! funny that it killed powell's career 'cause hitchcock probably would've been loved for it!

you are seven dollars yes you are
justinh

« Reply #446 on: Nov 13, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »

I waited like, a year to see No Country For Old Men, and then they open it in select cities, none of which, are here. That's just fucked.

It's here in Minneapolis.  That's only like 4 hours away, no?  I found it to be excellent.  It was really long though, and I had to pee about 2/3 of the way through, but couldn't due to its intense nature. 
elpollodiablo

« Reply #447 on: Nov 13, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »

How bout you go back with a camera for me?

think 'on the road.'
guanajuato

« Reply #448 on: Nov 13, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »

I waited like, a year to see No Country For Old Men, and then they open it in select cities, none of which, are here. That's just fucked.

It's here in Minneapolis.  That's only like 4 hours away, no?  I found it to be excellent.  It was really long though, and I had to pee about 2/3 of the way through, but couldn't due to its intense nature. 

It is 4 hours! Oh, temptation.

jebreject

« Reply #449 on: Nov 13, 2007, 12:45:01 PM »

Must ... resist ... getting Megabus tickets ...

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: truth 24 times per second: the new movie thread
Jump to: