Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 30, 2014, 03:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657807 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: truth 24 times per second: the new movie thread  (Read 32428 times)
auto-da-fey

« Reply #250 on: Oct 30, 2007, 11:49:13 PM »

I also bought a few VHS-only movies for $2 each--Ruckus, some First Blood-anticipating protoRambo movie with Linda Blair, and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, with the dearly-missed Adrienne Shelly.
lastclearchance

« Reply #251 on: Oct 31, 2007, 04:50:04 AM »

and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, with the dearly-missed Adrienne Shelly.

I actually watched Big Girls Don't Cry...They Get Even! the other day at work (DVD rental place) because it had Adrienne Shelly in it (and was PG, our store restriction), not even realizing that it also featured controversial LPTJ favorite Jenny Lewis.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
das kranke Tier

« Reply #252 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »

Maaik to thread!

Compendious as hell
das kranke Tier

« Reply #253 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »

I was gonna post this in the dvds purchased thread, but whatever. I got a copy of A Clockwork Orange at Target today. I'm not supposed to be spending money, because, you know, bills, but whatever. I'm really happy to find that the second disc has the same feature (O Lucky Malcolm) that I enjoyed so much from O Lucky Man!. They actually had a bunch of Kubrick, so I'm quite proud of myself for buying just this one movie.

:high-five:

Compendious as hell
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #254 on: Nov 01, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »

i saw "pootie tang" tuesday night. jojo and i had never seen it, and for some reason everyone else who lives at her house who HAD seen it and had exhorted us to see it ended up bailing before the movie was over (well, in fairness, the catalyst dudes had to practice their born against covers, but a bunch of other people also bailed on it, so i don't know what their excuse was). but jojo and i were way into it and laughed our asses off all the way through it. i don't know why so many people shit all over this movie, it's amazing. but i'm sure a bunch of you who've mentioned it on here already know this, so i don't need to tell you.

by the way, was that kristen bell at the end? i was all "wait, who's THAT?" and jojo had no clue, but then she's never seen veronica mars. finally i decided that lptj would know. so... blucas? greg?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Greg Nog

« Reply #255 on: Nov 01, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »

Yep. 

And I'm happy you liked the movie!  It's one of my top three favorite films of all time.
kadiekatRN

« Reply #256 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »

Yay!  I'm all about love for Pootie Tang!
martin_van_buren

« Reply #257 on: Nov 01, 2007, 03:37:41 PM »

Pootie Tang is brilliant.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #258 on: Nov 01, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »

Yep. 

And I'm happy you liked the movie!  It's one of my top three favorite films of all time.

sa-da-tay!

Ah_Pook

« Reply #259 on: Nov 01, 2007, 10:42:44 PM »

what kind of asshole would hate on pootie tang

also i saw american gangster tonight. it was entertaining, and the guy its about (Frank Lucas) was from where i live so... Greensboro represent! or something. Denzel Washington is pretty much always good.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Maaik

« Reply #260 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:46:32 PM »

You know what movie I just found for free On Demand?  the fucking Wizard.  Thirteen year old Jenny Lewis/Nintendo/autistic kid action up in this piece!

I need anne the man lessons
Ah_Pook

« Reply #261 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:51:14 PM »

this is movie related: walmart is selling a $100 HD-DVD player tomorrow. it only does 1080i, not 1080p... but still. unbeatable price.

you would have to go so early to get one though, im thinking shit will sell out in nanoseconds

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
lastclearchance

« Reply #262 on: Nov 02, 2007, 01:57:57 AM »

I also saw American Gangster tonight. But at one point one reel ended and the next one didn't start, so Denzel Washington's character looked up and then the screen went black.

I sang "don't stop believing!" out loud but no one thought it was funny.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
diesel_powered

« Reply #263 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:24:09 AM »

I watched The Machinist tonight. Pretty sure Christian Bale could be a crucifix model.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
girl

« Reply #264 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:57:57 AM »

He was totally scary in that movie!

this is a story and you're not in it
girl

« Reply #265 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:58:42 AM »

Also lastclearchance, it was funny. Sometimes people are idiots.

Maaik

« Reply #266 on: Nov 02, 2007, 10:34:18 PM »

tMO and I saw Darjeeling Limited tonight.  We liked it a bunch!

Random observations:
* Owen Wilson's character reminded me a lot of his Dignan from Bottle Rocket.
* tMO kept shuddering at how hot Adrian Brody is.
* Natalie Portman's ass!
* I had to stifle a fists-in-the-air cheer the first time Kumar Pallana stepped into frame.
* I may actually buy this soundtrack.
* Heh heh, they dropped their baggage.
* I want suits like they wear.
* and a 'tache like Jason Schwartzman.

I need anne the man lessons
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #267 on: Nov 03, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »

* and a 'tache like Jason Schwartzman.

you realize, though, that based on your cultural background any mustache you grow is by definition ironic and therefore wack as fuck, right?

just sayin.

heather marie

« Reply #268 on: Nov 03, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »

and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, with the dearly-missed Adrienne Shelly.

I actually watched Big Girls Don't Cry...They Get Even! the other day at work (DVD rental place) because it had Adrienne Shelly in it (and was PG, our store restriction), not even realizing that it also featured controversial LPTJ favorite Jenny Lewis.

I watched that movie approximately 24,000 times when I was a kid.
edison

« Reply #269 on: Nov 03, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »

Last night I saw Woody Allen's latest English tragedy venture, Cassandra's Dream, and it was just a very, very solid and enjoyable movie, with healthy doses of Hitchcockian humor thrown in.

The night before, Samuel Fuller's 1955 House of Bamboo - pretty fantastic (and daring, both story and visual treatment) noir.
girl

« Reply #270 on: Nov 03, 2007, 04:20:18 PM »

The night before, Samuel Fuller's 1955 House of Bamboo - pretty fantastic (and daring, both story and visual treatment) noir.

According to Netflix, I saw this about a year ago and gave it three stars. I remember liking it more than that, though

I have Fighting Elegy, Zodiac and Angel Face waiting to be watched, but when I was looking for Firefly, I found seasons 1 and 2 of Dr. Katz. I forgot I had them. I'm thinking about watching those first.

Lindsay With An A

« Reply #271 on: Nov 03, 2007, 04:27:45 PM »

FELLINIFEST 2K7
locale: my tv, as viewed from my bed

Day One: Nights of Cabiria -- AMAZING. I haven't stopped thinking about this movie for a second since I saw it. I've read a few different quotes where Fellini says Cabiria is the only character of his that he still worried about after completing the film. This makes sense. This just might now be my personal favorite film of his.

Day Two: Il Bidone -- This one was great too! Not as complex as most of his other films, but a fascinating and tender character study of an aging swindler. And as always, Fellini certainly knows how to open a film.

Day Three: And The Ship Sails On -- Intriguing plot, but could have been much better had it not dragged so much. It's set in 1914 and tells the story of this funeral cruise for the world's greatest opera singer, with this whole strange ensemble of rich people on board remembering her and getting into all sorts of shenanigans of their own.  Sort of Titanic meets Discreet Charm of the Bourgeois with a neat little Act 3 political subplot thrown in to spice things up. Definitely worth seeing, but not one of his masterpieces.

I think it's time to take a break for at least a few days, but I've still never seen La Strada which I have been saving for a special occasion for a while now, so maybe that will be next.

Mel Gibson spelled backwards.
andronicus

« Reply #272 on: Nov 03, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »

I just watched 'Spook Who Sat by the Door', shit was amazing.

Question: did everyone else's copy have the dude at the beginning who helps us interpret the movie by saying, "Did the author really think violent revolution was the solution?  Of course not!"

Uh.
jebreject

« Reply #273 on: Nov 04, 2007, 12:44:12 AM »

Yeah, that guy SUCKED.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Greg Nog

« Reply #274 on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:41:36 PM »

I saw The Devil Wears Prada this morning.  Man alive, it had a talent for pissing me off.  Although Meryl Streep was really good as The Devil.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: truth 24 times per second: the new movie thread
Jump to: