Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 23, 2014, 09:40:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658209 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: "I way ahead of you." (The new thread for discussion of alcoholic beverages)  (Read 33851 times)
Greg Nog

« on: Oct 18, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »

I will inaugurate this one by stating two opinions:

One:  Smuttynnose makes a damn good Imperial Stout.

and

Two:  Ouzo > Raki.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2007, 08:08:47 PM »

looks like whiskey and tea again for me tonight.  plus I have this damned headache because sore throat has made coffee unpalatable. 

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
ellaguru

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »

So the trouble with starting the evening with a screwdriver (I needed fruit - my apple sauce with dinner was tasting better to me than my lamb, and that's just wrong) is that I'm pretty sure I can't go on to my usual white russian after that. So I don't know where I'm gonna go with my second drink.

The correct answer was: Maker's Mark on the rocks.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
girl

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2007, 08:26:46 PM »

Oh right, drinking. Good idea!

this is a story and you're not in it
Good Intentions

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2007, 10:04:45 PM »

So the trouble with starting the evening with a screwdriver (I needed fruit - my apple sauce with dinner was tasting better to me than my lamb, and that's just wrong) is that I'm pretty sure I can't go on to my usual white russian after that. So I don't know where I'm gonna go with my second drink.

The correct answer was: Maker's Mark on the rocks.
I had an old-fashioned for the first time yesterday, with Maker's Mark, and I thoroughly approve.

It was drinks after the last class of the semester, and after the lecturer left to prepare his lectures for the next day, a few of the girls (under the watchful eye of Piņa Collada) started to scheme about getting into his pants (we'll assume they were joking). They dragged the tutor, himself a married man, into it and he was a great sport about it, and we ended up playing 'I never'. Pretty fun and hilarious.
El_Josharino

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »

I went out and bought myself a bottle of this oak barrel aged IPA by a local brewer tonight to go with my strip steak. Good call, me. I have another bottle of it that I bought a week ago and I'm going to let that one sit around and look pretty for a long time.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:35:04 AM »

I had an old-fashioned for the first time yesterday, with Maker's Mark, and I thoroughly approve.

Yeah man you've GOT to use good bourbon for that shit. Old-fashioneds are the bomb, they are my Sunday Beverage of Choice.
Can I ask a stupid question? Is Maker's Mark top shelf over there? Curious.
Good Intentions

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2007, 02:37:33 AM »

I'm not a bourbon drinker, nor do I cruise bars a lot, so I can't really say. It's easy to find Wild Turkey or Woodburne Reserve around here, as well as Maker's Mark, and in my experience they're pretty high off the ground, so make of that what you will.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2007, 08:29:07 AM »

What a shitty hangover

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2007, 09:48:33 AM »

word

whirlyball was a motherfucker last night though.  who knew I'd be a top scorer?  I WAS ON FIRE.  I think I was still a little drunk when I woke up this morning.  showing while drunk is pretty  Cool

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
ellaguru

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »

Yeah man you've GOT to use good bourbon for that shit. Old-fashioneds are the bomb, they are my Sunday Beverage of Choice.
Can I ask a stupid question? Is Maker's Mark top shelf over there? Curious.

Maker's Mark is a step up from, like Jim Beam and Wild Turkey and like that, and is pricier than those but cheaper than the cheap single malt scotches. I was under the impression that it's one of the better bourbons that is easy to find anywhere you go. But I don't know my bourbons at all, so I might be totally talking out of my ass. Do you have a recommendation? I assume you have a good bourbon you use for your old-fashioneds.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »

Maker's Mark is a good bourbon and smooth in a way that makes it more accessible to the uninitiated but there are bourbons that are much better.  It is fairly ubiquitous though.  Woodford Reserve (mentioned upthread) is good as well and perhaps a bit more challenging but not much.  Wild Turkey has its points.  I like some of their mid-to-high end products.  Their Russell's Reserve is around the same price point as Maker's and is a better bourbon IMO.  I'm not sure how widely available it is though.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
ellaguru

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »

Maybe I'll try that. I guess for me it's a balancing act, since I kinda use bourbon as a poor man's scotch, so if the bourbon gets too expensive, I'd rather just have a scotch.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:10:41 AM »

They're 2 different beasts and you shouldn't think of bourbon as scotch's country cousin, you're comparing apples and assholes there.  bourbon is great.  I like it better than scotch personally but I haven't had much in the way of super-high-end scotch either.  Developing a better taste for scotch is definitely on my radar though.

Greg Nog

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:33:37 AM »

I tend to like higher-end scotch a lot more than higher-end bourbon, but generally, I prefer most cheap bourbon to cheap scotch.

Last night was a progression of beer to ouzo to Wild Turkey 101.  I then spent a goodly portion of my sleep dreaming about some gigantic DisneyWorld-style amusement park.
jebreject

« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »

ugh cheap bourbon makes me die

and just my luck old thompson is in the tapwater here

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Greg Nog

« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »

Gin seems to create a slightly odd morning-after feeling for me, and cheap rye seems to eff my shit right up.  Aside from that, anything else on the bottom shelf doesn't really have any deleterious effects on me.  Perhaps I was cursed by a Rye Wizard at a young age.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2007, 12:36:12 PM by Greg Nog » Logged
elpollodiablo

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »

Hangovers are like 100 times worse when it's warm outside

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »

Gin seems to create a slightly odd morning-after feeling for me, and cheap rye seems to eff my shit right up.  Aside from that, anything else on the bottom shelf doesn't really have any deleterious effects on me.  Perhaps I was cursed by a Rye Wizard at a young age.
Should've Identified that potion before you drank it.

I have no taste for scotch because I've never had good scotch.  Maybe if I spent some bills and got some decent stuff I'd gain an appreciation.  I universally prefer bourbon as my drink of choice, and I have no qualms about drinking shitty bourbon. 

I bought Heather some wine today because when she picks out herself, she goes for the cheapest stuff imaginable and spends the whole bottle complaining about how bad it is.

I really like Russell's Reserve a lot.

That is all.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »

Mr. andronicus sir you have fine taste in bourbon.

andronicus

« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »

No mean compliment from such a distinguished personage.

Anyway, I remember once when I lived in Louisville a bunch of bourbon from one of the distilleries had gotten into the water which lead to much frenzied speculation on the parts of myself and my friends.

I mean, that's some industrial pollution I can get down with amirite.
difficult

« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »

I'm much more about the Scotch myself, and pretty unschooled on the bourbon - damnit this is part of the British Empire here, so I feel an obligation to make use of one of the few Imperial products that I can wholeheartedly get behind. I imagine we have a different supply of stuff that makes it down here than turns up in other countries.
For what it's worth - and I've been cutting down dramatically and successfully on the drinking since returning to Wellington - I've been really enjoying a pretty nice middling blend, Lang's, the last couple times. Out at the moment, will be a couple weeks before I restock with money issues, and a recent blazing return to record buying....
And I really dig the hard out iodine-y Islay scotches and would dearly love to be able to be collector-scum about those... but not likely to happen for a little while yet I don't think.

In Auckland, I was getting quite keen on the weird Indian scotches they had at the liquor store down the road - cheap, a little perverse, low peat obviously, but some interest there too.

All I have in the house at the moment is some cheap but highly serviceable Australian Shiraz - which is worth about 3 times what i paid for it, bu tno more - and some Balinese Arak, which is a rice spirit - not to be confused with Javanese Arak whichs more in the rice wine territory - and goes very nicely with tomato juice.

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
SPACERACE

« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2007, 08:08:57 PM »

earlier people were smashing beers on the floor and i had to fuckin' clean it up

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
martin_van_buren

« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:04:51 AM »

I a,m soo fucked up, my hand is cut up andI'm not getting laid despite my freidn's best efforts oh my god i need to go to bed goodnight I will b bacjk in this thread with a hangover I promsie.
martin_van_buren

« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »

I am thorwing up noooo I'm sorry people I an bnot used to this oh nnooo,..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: "I way ahead of you." (The new thread for discussion of alcoholic beverages)
Jump to: