Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 30, 2014, 03:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657807 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Drumming Drummers and the Drums They Drum On  (Read 3845 times)
coldforge

« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »

levon helm plays with the butt of his left stick for all of The Last Waltz.

l'era del terzo mondo.
davy

« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:37:23 PM »

i noticed that, too!

in related news, i continue to be amazed by the simultaneous drumming and singing performances he gives during "don't do it."

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
coldforge

« Reply #27 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »

WHY IS IT BACKWARDS LEVON

you gotta figure thats why he hates the movie.

l'era del terzo mondo.
davy

« Reply #28 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »

i think if i played with a traditional grip like that, i'd have to use the butt-end of the stick. i wouldn't trust it to be loud enough otherwise.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008, 09:18:41 PM by davy » Logged

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #29 on: Apr 08, 2008, 02:50:17 AM »

the guy who played drums in my short-lived band the internet played holding his sticks backwards. it was a habit he'd apparently picked up while playing in race the sun, who were i suppose reasonably popular on the pop-punk/emo circuit in the early 2000s (they had a top ten hit album in japan, of all things). apparently it's something he had to do to be loud enough for the style they played (which he'd never played before or since), and i guess the habit stuck with him.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
davy

« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »

it really is a totally different feel. historically, i've used the technique for one of two reasons: 1) i'm playing with someone else's sticks, and they're a smaller size than what i usually use, or 2) my monitor's not loud enough and it's the only way i can hear what i'm playing...there are more than a couple venues in town where it's a lost cause to request the sound guy to turn up the damn volume.

Babar

« Reply #31 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

the guy who played drums in my short-lived band the internet

the band's name was The Internet?

cause that's friggin' awesome

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #32 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »

yeah, we found out pretty quickly that we were but one of several bands with that name. but it's ok, cuz we played 5 shows in 8 months and broke up.

jebreject

« Reply #33 on: Apr 08, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »

scott uses the butt-end of his sticks a lot, because mostly all he has are broken sticks

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #34 on: Apr 08, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »

not to mention broken cymbals, at least when i saw you guys. didn't you tell me he dumpstered his drum set?

i might be confused--my friend who was the original drummer for municipal waste played a dumpstered set in that band. he had two bass drums that were the same size, one of which he'd attached legs to and was playing as a floor tom. then he had a floor tom rigged up as a rack tom, a really big snare, and a hi-hat with a rickety leg. oh, and one other cymbal that i can't remember anything distinguishing about. he told me the kit was the end result of something like four months of dumpstering.

EDIT: just to make this even weirder, this same dude was also the original singer for tri state killing spree (i was originally the bass player), but he's mostly played guitar in bands.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008, 03:21:58 PM by Andrew_TSKS » Logged

jebreject

« Reply #35 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »

Scott's kit was obtained through shady means. That is all I will say. You (and the rest of the hearing world) will be glad to know that at some point Scott actually bought proper symbols that do not sounds like deadened, clanky sheet metal. Now if he would just buy some new heads.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Drumming Drummers and the Drums They Drum On
Jump to: