Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 23, 2014, 04:36:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658130 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
Print
Author Topic: who else is playing soon?  (Read 42793 times)
Bubbachups

« Reply #475 on: Apr 05, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »

Kunstencentrum Belgie in Hasselt is definitely something to keep a close eye on, very interesting programming. They had Rhys Chatham a couple of weeks ago and upcoming gigs by James Blackshaw, Jozef van Wissem, Chris Corsano, Paul Flaherty, MV/EE, etc. They are consistently impressive with their programming. If the Grails and Magik Markers rumour turns out to be true you have little excuse not to go because that would make for quite an awesome line-up.

Legendary Pink Dots is indeed quite legendary, but I've only heard a couple of their albums which I was pretty much forced to borrow from someone. Especially people from a generation older tend to rave about this band to me. I've yet to see them live myself.
alex

« Reply #476 on: Apr 05, 2008, 01:34:34 PM »

Kunstencentrum Belgie in Hasselt is definitely something to keep a close eye on, very interesting programming. They had Rhys Chatham a couple of weeks ago and upcoming gigs by James Blackshaw, Jozef van Wissem, Chris Corsano, Paul Flaherty, MV/EE, etc. They are consistently impressive with their programming. If the Grails and Magik Markers rumour turns out to be true you have little excuse not to go because that would make for quite an awesome line-up.

Yup, I just saw that - luckily, I was in Austria when Rhys Chatham played there anyway, or else I'd have to be annoyed now for missing it. But yes, if that rumour turns out to be true, I indeed won't be looking for excuses not to go. If it doesn't, I'm just not sure - I'm actually not at all familiar with either Witch or Ęthenor, only with some of the other bands that some of those people are/have been involved with. Although Andrew's post seems to imply that I should maybe change that.

Have you decided which Centro-Matic/South San Gabriel shows you'll be at yet, by the way? I think you mentioned "at least two" in some other thread, so I'm guessing Amsterdam and/or Utrecht are under consideration (besides Groningen)? I'm also planning to hit up one of those, just not sure which one yet.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #477 on: Apr 05, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »

I'm actually not at all familiar with either Witch or Ęthenor, only with some of the other bands that some of those people are/have been involved with. Although Andrew's post seems to imply that I should maybe change that.

yes. witch are outstanding. j mascis was playing drums when they did their album, but isn't anymore. however, mascis's drumming is never gonna be what makes or breaks a band for me (his guitar work is a different story). what really makes them work for me is that they mix awesome metal brutality into what is basically an early 70s heavy-blues/proto-metal sound. their songs remind me of blue cheer and such, but without ever seeming retro. at least not to me. and they make me thrash around my room headbanging and playing air guitar. that's right, MAKE me. i am powerless to resist.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Bubbachups

« Reply #478 on: Apr 05, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »

Have you decided which Centro-Matic/South San Gabriel shows you'll be at yet, by the way? I think you mentioned "at least two" in some other thread, so I'm guessing Amsterdam and/or Utrecht are under consideration (besides Groningen)? I'm also planning to hit up one of those, just not sure which one yet.
Amsterdam and Groningen are certain for me, Utrecht was an option also, but right now I think it would be a bit too much. I want to be able to buy some albums too this month and not spend my money only on train tickets. So if you can you should just come to the Amsterdam gig too.

NP: Agrarian Malaise (have I ever thanked you for that? ;-) )
Bubbachups

« Reply #479 on: Apr 05, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »

I'm actually not at all familiar with either Witch or Ęthenor, only with some of the other bands that some of those people are/have been involved with. Although Andrew's post seems to imply that I should maybe change that.
j mascis was playing drums when they did their album, but isn't anymore.
And by that you mean he's now playing guitar at Witch gigs?

I'll be seeing Witch too in two weeks time, together with Earthless and Graveyard. Seems like a rather fine line-up to me.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #480 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »

j mascis was playing drums when they did their album, but isn't anymore.
And by that you mean he's now playing guitar at Witch gigs?

by which i mean that this is the first i've heard of such a thing and i can't find corroboration anywhere on the internet. but he apparently did play drums on the second album, and is apparently drumming with them on the current tour, so i guess there's that.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #481 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »

oh wait, i get it. instead of saying "he's actually back playing drums with them again", you decided to try and convey the information through sarcasm. which a) isn't going to work on me anyway, and b) is an obnoxious thing to do. but thanks anyway.

alex

« Reply #482 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »

Amsterdam and Groningen are certain for me, Utrecht was an option also, but right now I think it would be a bit too much. I want to be able to buy some albums too this month and not spend my money only on train tickets. So if you can you should just come to the Amsterdam gig too.

NP: Agrarian Malaise (have I ever thanked you for that? ;-) )

Yeah, makes sense. A couple of research-related uncertainties are keeping me from making any definite plans still, but I'll try to make it to the Amsterdam gig!

I do believe you have. Always nice to be reminded that it seems to have ended up in good hands, though!

re: Witch
Thanks for the description, Andrew. I kind of fear that this might be the sort of thing that I appreciate in theory more than in practice (not being the most metal person ever and all that), but it might be worth a shot. I still have some time to make up my mind, anyway.

As for J. Mascis, yeah, he seems to be playing with them again, and if that was sarcasm on Bubbachups' part, my own sarcasm detector is broken too. Which I'm not ruling out, just, I wouldn't have read it as such.
Bubbachups

« Reply #483 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »

oh wait, i get it. instead of saying "he's actually back playing drums with them again", you decided to try and convey the information through sarcasm. which a) isn't going to work on me anyway, and b) is an obnoxious thing to do. but thanks anyway.
It was a genuine question. You said he's not playing drums anymore with Witch but the venue's website did mention him coming along for this tour. So I just figured he's playing guitar now at Witch gigs.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #484 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM ANDREW, BUBBA IS OUT TO GET YOU

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #485 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:45:41 PM »

miles, fuck you. [EDIT: jeez, i need to calm down.]

bubbachups, i just hadn't seen that. they're only a three piece, so he'd have to be playing drums. i know they did some dates without him a year or two ago when he was doing dino jr stuff. that's what i was basing that statement on.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008, 08:50:34 PM by Andrew_TSKS » Logged

ddillaman

« Reply #486 on: Apr 05, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »

I saw the Pink Dots in '93, maybe? And they were in fact Legendary. A follow up show a couple years later was too pretentious by half - but maybe I had changed or wasn't feeling the vibe or whatever. I'd check them out again if they were in town

Fucked off that I'm going to miss the Stumps/DJ Tanner show. Trying to decide about Daniel Menche and Birchville Cat Motel on Saturday.
G.C.R

« Reply #487 on: Apr 05, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »

Volcana and Cherry next weekend at the adelaide, yay.
Killadoza, you still coming down for John D's birthday gig? Fuckin Voodoo Savage and his Savages! Wheee

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #488 on: Apr 05, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »

The Stumps (Wellington) & White Saucer (plus Djs Tanner, Seht and Wyatt Riot)
Saturday 26th April 2008, doors at 9.30
Whammy Bar, St Kevins Arcade - $10
I arrive in auckland on the 26th! is this pay-at-the-door?
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008, 09:52:50 PM by Little Sixes Little Nines » Logged

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #489 on: Apr 06, 2008, 04:35:58 AM »

I assume so yes.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
G.C.R

« Reply #490 on: Apr 06, 2008, 05:10:23 AM »

My sofa always free for the crashin', tho I assume you staying with helena and Menno?

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend

« Reply #491 on: Apr 06, 2008, 05:44:41 AM »

Grace, just so you know, there is a chance he was replying to me there. Don't get yr hopes too high!

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #492 on: Apr 06, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »

I'd def coming to Welly Grace. Haven't got my plane ticket though. Will have to get onto it. I'll probably be staying at Menno's I imagine. That's gonna be an awesome night though. Cannot wait.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
G.C.R

« Reply #493 on: Apr 06, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »

I thought his answer prolly applied to both of us, little six. But scott- yeah! Will be ace. I'm gonna put on mymymymymy boogie shoes.

ddillaman

« Reply #494 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:04:03 AM »

Fucked off that I'm going to miss the Stumps/DJ Tanner show.

Am no longer missing this show. YES!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #495 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:16:29 AM »

Sweet. We'll get GI down there as well hopefully. Bit of a LPTJ meet up. And little 6's also maybe. Dilla, I assume you'll be down Whammy on Saturday. If so I'll see you there.

« Reply #496 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:20:53 AM »

yay! i lost my passport though, and therefore have no form of ID. hopefully can still get in despite my boyish looks Very Happy

Good Intentions

« Reply #497 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:30:59 AM »

Sweet. We'll get GI down there as well hopefully. Bit of a LPTJ meet up. And little 6's also maybe. Dilla, I assume you'll be down Whammy on Saturday. If so I'll see you there.
What's this now?
ddillaman

« Reply #498 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »

What's this now?

If it's this Saturday, I have no idea. What's going on? Why should I be there, other than that I have never not had an awesome time at the Whammy Bar?

The Stumps/DJ Tanner/et al gig is the 26th, as mentioned upthread, and yr. attendance is mandatory, GI.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: who else is playing soon?
Jump to: