Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 19, 2014, 06:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658296 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 62 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Television Thread: this time, nonotyet didn't do it.  (Read 33436 times)
ellaguru

« Reply #75 on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »

I think this is the second time I'm pushing Intelligence here, but I'm assuming that non-Canadians don't get many ads for it. I don't know if it's broadcast anywhere else, but it is available (of course) on that great grey market we call the internet.

It's wikkidgood, and anybody who is sad that The Wire only makes 12 episodes a year should watch it to tide them over. Fer serious. It's in that category of awesomeness. Picking favourites, I'll give The Wire the edge (most days), but it's in the same league.

Like The Wire, Intelligence is one long story, told from the perspectives of both the coppers and the drug dealers. But the coppers are our national intelligence agency, which, since Canada isn't much of a police state, is only slightly better funded than the Baltimore PD. The cop boss (played by Klea Scott, who I only remember as the partner in the bad season of Millennium, but who is awesome here) starts the show having been promised the top job on the west coast in the Canadian spy service, and she wants to build a real spy agency with real intelligence from useful informants. So she solicits one of the high level drug dealers in Vancouver to give her intelligence. Of course, a drug dealer at that level can't be paid off with the sort of money the Canadian government might offer he wants the same thing as she does: useful information, from time to time. So, intersecting stories about an Inspector trying to position informants everywhere she can, and a drug dealer trying to keep one step ahead of the other bad guys. And lots of insight into the politics and mechanics of how each side works.

It's by the same guys who did DaVinci's Inquest (which is also amazing from about the middle of season three to the end of season seven or eight, depending on how you count), which can be seen in the States...albeit only in a horribly mutilated form).

Anyway, I can't recommend Intelligence highly enough.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
ellaguru

« Reply #76 on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:16:53 PM »

Woo-hoo! I got to start a new page with that!

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #77 on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:43:25 PM »

That sounds pretty right ella, I'll have to check it out

think 'on the road.'
lastclearchance

« Reply #78 on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »

I went back on my decision to give up on Heroes in its last five minutes tonight, only to witness Mohinder doing something even more colossally stupid. Ugh. Why can't I stay away?

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #79 on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »

Dude, has Mohinder *ever* done a single sensible thing on that show?

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
lastclearchance

« Reply #80 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:02:58 PM »

No but they started at "really dumb" and yet have gotten worse every episode.

jess

« Reply #81 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »

I just said to someone that his power is clearly consistent idiocy (minus the whole biotech genius thing). Still Peter in the decontamination shower? That was pretty excellent.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #82 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:06:34 PM »

I think that's my big gripe with Season 2.  Everybody's being a big idiot--unrealistically so.  Claire's like, "Sure, I'll date the boy who's sworn vengeance on my father!"  HRG's like, "No need to tell Claire what's going on!"  And *especially* Peter being, "Nah, no need to figure out my identity.  I'd rather boink this Irish chick for 3 episodes.  I just have a bunch of superpowers and amnesia.  I'm sure there are no! bad guys looking for me!"

jebreject

« Reply #83 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:14:46 PM »

Heroes is a total trainwreck this season. Which is, of course, why I can't stop fucking watching it.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #84 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:16:36 PM »

The only storyline that's remotely interesting is Hiro's, and I hate hate HATE the Micah/Micah's cousin storyline, despite Nichelle Nichols, who is still foxy after all these years.

jess

« Reply #85 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:22:10 PM »

Also, I want to find out what Mrs. Petrelli's (do we know her first name?) power is, though I have a guess now.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #86 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »

Is it being vague?  It's being vague, isn't it?

dieblucasdie

« Reply #87 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:28:57 PM »

The only storyline that's remotely interesting is Hiro's, and I hate hate HATE the Micah/Micah's cousin storyline, despite Nichelle Nichols, who is still foxy after all these years.

Also I disagree.  I actually like the Micah plotline (he's still boring, but it's an improvement over his plotlines in S1), and think Hiro's storyline is totally boring and predicatable and could've/should've been done in one ep.

El_Josharino

« Reply #88 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:36:41 PM »

I dunno, I think I'd probably put super powers and amnesia aside to boink the Irish chick also.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
lastclearchance

« Reply #89 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:38:58 PM »

Mrs. Petrelli's (do we know her first name?)

Angela. Fun fact: the intention was to name her after the mother in The Manchurian Candidate but Tim Kring or whoever couldn't remember the character's name and so named her Angela after the actress (Lansbury).

aftm

« Reply #90 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:42:56 PM »

We've only gotten through two ep's, but if Hiro is kensei I will murder the creators for dragging out such predictable shit and making Ando read all the scrolls in the exact correct order.
jess

« Reply #91 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:45:24 PM »

Mrs. Petrelli's (do we know her first name?)

Angela. Fun fact: the intention was to name her after the mother in The Manchurian Candidate but Tim Kring or whoever couldn't remember the character's name and so named her Angela after the actress (Lansbury).

Right! I knew that. (Her name, not the story behind it.)

Also, I think it would be close to a toss up between the Irish chick and the amnesia/powers for me. So yeah, fair enough. And I agree that the Hiro part dragged a bit.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #92 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »

Well, the Irish chick is slightly less annoying than Simone at least.

aftm

« Reply #93 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:53:20 PM »

And the bad fake irish accent guy is from Fight Club!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #94 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »

Also, I know y'all are thinking with your pants, but if you looked like Peter with his shirt off, you'd be thinking, "Better get my memory back so I can go visit my 3 supermodel wives!"

Aglaya

« Reply #95 on: Nov 06, 2007, 12:32:54 AM »

I explored more television on the internet today.  Cavemen is just as awful as I expected and I can see how Desperate Housewives would appeal to the kind of people it appeals to, but it is not for me.  There need to be more episodes of Pushing Daisies and The Big Bang Theory.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
heart of green

« Reply #96 on: Nov 06, 2007, 12:48:59 AM »

i really like heroes. it beats the hell out of lost, i just hope it doesn't go the same direction...

just a question, do any of you watch TV just to hate it??

(sometimes I do.)

and god damn those shaky knees
jebreject

« Reply #97 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:12:49 AM »

Well, the Irish chick is slightly less annoying than Simone at least.

Only barely! I can't stand the sound of her! (No offense to the Irish; she's just fucking annoying)

jebreject

« Reply #98 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:14:47 AM »

Hiro's storyline is totally boring and predicatable and could've/should've been done in one ep.

And actually, you're exactly right. That leaves us with zero interesting storylines!

Nah, I mean, just let heroes be the cheeseball superhero soap opera that it is, and it's pretty awesome. But my god does it go from awesome to nearly intolerable in no time

melancolley

« Reply #99 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:44:51 AM »

Anyone watch Life on Mars? Just got it over here, and I am hooked, baby.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Television Thread: this time, nonotyet didn't do it.
Jump to: