Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657793 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: TOMOKAWA!  (Read 23907 times)
alex

« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »

That was basically my line of thought, too. Also, reply just in.
edison

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2008, 04:40:57 AM »

Got my reply too! The wheels are in motion.

Also, very nice Mikami article in the latest Wire issue.
edison

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2008, 03:52:11 AM »

So this is as painfully predictable as it gets, but the new album is utterly brilliant. Little bit early to say still, but it might be among the best records he's ever done.

edit: this with the caveat that I haven't even heard half of them, of course
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:12:33 AM by edison » Logged
edison

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »

Trying to figure out whether to buy this or not:
http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/4638736

I've never paid that much for a single record, but then again it's out of print and I figure if I decide against it I might be missing out on quite an opportunity. Hmmm...
difficult

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2008, 10:33:14 AM »

It does come up on Ebay from time to time, and I have seen it go for less than that - also Fusetron still has it on the list for US$36 - its not that long out of "print", you should still be able to find a few copies around.

It's an excellent album - I have the CD in the box, but I'd love to have the vinyl.
One of the best recent albums, I think... But I think I'd hesitate to pay that much for it!

For one of the out of print ones - Umi Shizuka or Sakura no Kuni I'd be prepared to pay that much or more... and also for a vinyl copy of Beauty Without Mercy. But I think you should be able to find a cheaper Satoru.

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
edison

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2008, 10:37:54 AM »

I suspected as much, thanks, Campbell. Although for vinyl shipping costs really makes a difference (as in a cheaper copy from the US could actually prove more expensive), it sometimes get a bit ridiculous..

And yeah, I'd kill for a copy of Umi Shizuka, that album is so great.. I asked my friend who's currently in Tokyo to look for it, but he says it's impossible for him to find anything due to the language issue.. I should give a listen to the other out-of-print album, but all in due time, I guess.
difficult

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »

Yeah you should - Sakura... is nearly as good, it's got a real Morricone feel to it. A great album too.
But so many of them are...
Postage on everything is a chunk to get to here - though from US seems much cheaper in both prices and postage than it is from Europe. But I understand that! For vinyl I try to save up and get a decent chunk all at once.
Things come up on Ebay a bit, sometimes they go high, sometimes not so bad - If I was spending that much on a Tomokawa, I'd be really tempted to get an old one. Maybe vinyl of Nikusei? That's a great album too!

Doctor Bob

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »

FYI, one and all, I noticed in the last weekly e-mail update from the Downtown Music Gallery in NYC that they're stocking all of the stuff you're talking about here.  (Those descriptions on page 1 of this thread suggest to me that I would not like it, but I'm taking the time to tell you all becasue I'm a nice guy.)

The DMG Search function is pretty spot on.

They're not cheap, but the dollar exchange rate is good at the moment.  Unless you're American.

EDIT: Here's the last e-mail update I was talking about.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
difficult

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »

Robert I'd imagine you would like at least some of it.
Sometimes there's accordians! And a definite European cafe music vibe.
Of course often times there's this crazy Japanese guy getting carried away... but in a good way...Some is very gentle and beautiful. The point is the combined totality of moderation and extremes of course, but I'd expect you to respond to something like Beauty Without Mercy in some kind of positive way....

edison

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2008, 04:14:06 AM »

Thanks, Robert! Though actually they're a bit less expensive directly from the label in Japan, they don't charge for postage...

What in the descriptions suggests you would not like it, if I may ask? I think I'll upload a song from the new album tonight for everyone to check out.
Bubbachups

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2008, 05:13:39 AM »

Trying to figure out whether to buy this or not:
http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/4638736

I've never paid that much for a single record, but then again it's out of print and I figure if I decide against it I might be missing out on quite an opportunity. Hmmm...

I have that one on vinyl too, awesome record, but I'm not entirely happy with my copy. Whether it's just my copy or something is wrong with the entire pressing, I don't know, but there's a lot of background noise on mine. Or maybe it just doesn't like my record player, does that ever happen? I don't know, I just have to live with it.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2008, 05:43:09 AM »

What in the descriptions suggests you would not like it, if I may ask?

A very, very energetic version of a man, a guitar and his troubles, lubricated with a lot of drink, backed by a band he's played with for decades, done in Japanese.

Not too hot on a) troubles [expressed, I presume, musically?  Unless GI is learning Japanese to go with his Go], b) a lot of drink, or c) intense energy (when a&b are present), in my music.  Especially the drink.  No offense to you all, but GI's description makes me shudder.

Also, my curiosities / potential next acquisitions list is currently over 100 albums long.  And there are only so many hours in the day.

difficult

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2008, 05:45:47 AM »

Ah, maybe I should put together the Dr Bob EP Special... I do owe you a CD after all!

edison

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2008, 05:48:30 AM »

"A man and his troubles" is actually a fairly reductive definition, come to think of it (but then again, so are many short blurbs about an artist). Anyway, fair enough, I guess.
difficult

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2008, 05:59:02 AM »

Actually, in terms of what so much of the studio albums are like (as opposed to live) its not the most accurate part of Marinus's definition either.

But yeah, I understand your issues with long lists too - I can't really complain, my missionary work has pulled in the three cool music people from Europe...

Doctor Bob

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2008, 06:07:24 AM »

Ah, maybe I should put together the Dr Bob EP Special... I do owe you a CD after all!

Oh difficult!

*blushes*

Also, fwiw, I think his cover art is lovely, based on the images alex posted in the Purchases thread.

edison- I wouldn't usually set much store by a single line description, but difficult said GI's was pretty accurate.  Don't get me wrong, I respect the monomaniacs of the world, but I am, at best, curious about it in the way I'm curious about much music- I wonder what it sounds like, but I doubt I'd listen to it with any regularity.  Still, I'm willing to be proven wrong.

difficult

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2008, 06:21:19 AM »

Also - the drunk thing is very evident in some of the live videos... but not at all in the songwriting or the studio albums, except that apparently reflections of drunkenness past come up in the subject matter. There's a lot of delicacy there as well - its a pretty complete package overall I think.

edison

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2008, 07:02:59 AM »

Actually, in terms of what so much of the studio albums are like (as opposed to live) its not the most accurate part of Marinus's definition either.

But yeah, I understand your issues with long lists too - I can't really complain, my missionary work has pulled in the three cool music people from Europe...

I would take out that "the" in the last sentence.. you still have some missionary work to do, young man!
edison

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »

So here's a link to listen to the first song of the new album for anyone curious:

いつか遠く見ていた [Once I Stared Afar]
Itsuka Tooku O Miteita
Bubbachups

« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2008, 03:06:16 PM »

O man, that sounds awesome! I was trying to prevent myself from placing an order at PSF after seeing all those beauties in the other thread but you've just made that damn near impossible... You and Alex and difficult, I'm onto you guys, you are probably just a bunch of advanced PSF employed spam bots!
alex

« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »

I have no idea what you're even talking about!

When you order the album, can you mention to them that I referred you to them? Just, ahem, for statistical purposes, it's not like I profit from this, not at all.

All joking aside, the album does sound quite fantastic. I haven't had time yet to really dedicate some thorough attention to it, but it's not too early to say that it is deserving of said attention. I really look forward to spending some time with this on the stereo, the lyric sheet in one hand and a cup of tea in the other hand this weekend.
difficult

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »

AHEM!
If I get one more referral I don't have to pay for it....
You guys did mention me didn't you? Guys? Guys?

edison

« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2008, 05:37:56 AM »

Haha, I actually kind of mentioned you (I said something like "I was told by someone who orders frequently from you") when I asked them the procedure to order stuff from Modern Music via PSF, but I didn't mention your name..

According to my friend who was there the other day Modern Music is more of a small room with tons of unordered CDs than an actual store..
edison

« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2008, 05:39:44 AM »

I have no idea what you're even talking about!

When you order the album, can you mention to them that I referred you to them? Just, ahem, for statistical purposes, it's not like I profit from this, not at all.

All joking aside, the album does sound quite fantastic. I haven't had time yet to really dedicate some thorough attention to it, but it's not too early to say that it is deserving of said attention. I really look forward to spending some time with this on the stereo, the lyric sheet in one hand and a cup of tea in the other hand this weekend.

I obviously can't assess their accuracy in any way, but Alan Cummings really does a great job with those translations. Makes me wish he would do a book's worth of them, or maybe include them in hypothetical reissues?
Bubbachups

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »

Not wanting to miss out on the new Tomokawa I was planning on ordering it from PSF this week along with some other things. First a couple of questions:

1. What's up with the new Kan Mikami? Any good? Or should I get something else from him first?

2. What's the difference between the regular editions and the picture jacket editions of Tomokawa? Only the sleeves? Because I don't really like those special ones. Would it look stupid if I just bought the regular ones?

3. I read in a different thread somewhere that I could order Free Spirit from them even if it's not listed on their website?

4. So no shipping apart from the $4 insurance? How do these people make a living?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: TOMOKAWA!
Jump to: