Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 21, 2014, 08:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658018 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 45 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Das Book: the very new reading thread  (Read 69496 times)
Greg Nog

« Reply #300 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:22:15 AM »

The only inhabitant of the city the pilot has had any personal contact with was a girl he raped.

But don't worry, she was pretty cool with it in retrospect.

Come on people, we've almost got every Randian plot-point.  Let's keep going, we can do this, folks.
morgan

« Reply #301 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:42:30 AM »

Make sure the pilot and girl are both very tall and thin with blonde hair, by the way.  Lean muscles.  Men of ACTION.  Because any women worth living are really men, anyway.

Also, she was not only cool with the rape in retrospect, she actually thought it was really hot after the first minute or two.

Oh, I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged, by the way.

Edit to say that this --

the whole book is a speech the pilot is broadcasting to the city

-- actually made me laugh out loud.  Applause, indeed!  The entirety of John Galt's 55+ page monologue at the end of Atlas Shrugged was like fingernails on a chalkboard.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007, 09:21:49 AM by morgan » Logged
Greg Nog

« Reply #302 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:11:55 AM »

Make sure the pilot and girl are both very tall and thin with blonde hair, by the way.  Lean muscles.  Men of ACTION.  Because any women worth living are really men, anyway.

I just tried to find the quote from The Fountainhead where a secondary character describes Roark as masculine rather than attractive, but then I had to start sifting through a bunch of Ayn Rand websites, and I gave up.

Hey, so I was in the bookstore yesterday, trying to decide what to read next.  I thought about All The Pretty Horses, but wanted something less quiet than McCarthy tends to be.  I thought about that Great Chinatown Death Cloud Race 2000 book, but I've been reading a lot of pulpier stuff lately.  I did buy Jesus' Son, but wasn't in the mood for anything skating near modern realism territory.  I decided that what I wanted something huge and violent and ancient.

Then I remembered that I still haven't read The Iliad, so hey!  Score!  I picked up the Fagles translation, and started it last night.

Along the same lines, I also got the Heaney translation of Beowulf, which I've read before, but didn't own.  And now I do.  Sweet.
milesofsparks

« Reply #303 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:55:04 PM »

Then I remembered that I still haven't read The Iliad, so hey!  Score!  I picked up the Fagles translation, and started it last night.

I read that for the first time not too long ago.  I was thinking of moving on to the Odyssey next, but I'm not sure if I want to read it or listen to it. 

EDIT:  yes, yes, we had to read it in school, but only excerpts, not the whole thing.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
slow west vultures

« Reply #304 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »

ah, you guys suck.  the cover's awesome.  in my mind i sort of read the subtext as 'i'm on a crash course with modernity, and i might as well make it at my own speed.'  its a pretty cool visual and metaphor given the book so far. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
milesofsparks

« Reply #305 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:08:12 PM »

it's a futurist artist, right swv?

martin_van_buren

« Reply #306 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:14:52 PM »

It is, says the guy who had that thought earlier and looked it up and indeed it was, though he didn't think to look to see which one of those crazy bastards it was who did it.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #307 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:11:05 AM »

i finished After Dark...I was confused when I started.  The front said it was a novel, but the back said it was a collection of stories.  Upon further investigation, i see that the back was talking about a different book.  Why they do that...I don't know.  The book was very pretty.  I kept visualizing ridiculous hollywood style plot twists to happen...I'm glad that didn't happen. 

Puddle Pants
skittixch

« Reply #308 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »

I'm the last person on the face of the earth to read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence"  I'm halfway through it reading about a chapter a night before bed.

I've also been nibbling on the new Selected works anthology of Mark Strand...and it's fan-freaking-tastic...those of you partial to poetry should absolutely check him out.
Good Intentions

« Reply #309 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:42:49 AM »

I'm the last person on the face of the earth to read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence"  I'm halfway through it reading about a chapter a night before bed.
Every page you read makes you less fortunate. What the fuck makes Pirsig so special that we're supposed to read 200 odd pages of his troubles, anyway?
Doctor Bob

« Reply #310 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:12:12 AM »

It is, says the guy who had that thought earlier and looked it up and indeed it was, though he didn't think to look to see which one of those crazy bastards it was who did it.

Tullio Crali, Nose Dive on the City, 1939.

Apparently he also has Nose Dive on the Airport but I've never seen it.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #311 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:55:44 AM »

Every page you read makes you less fortunate. What the fuck makes Pirsig so special that we're supposed to read 200 odd pages of his troubles, anyway?

lotta perfectly entertaining books one could say that about, dawg. i just wouldn't advise anyone to read it as if it's a serious text on either philosophy or depression/psychiatric illness.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
slow west vultures

« Reply #312 on: Jan 01, 2008, 03:33:59 PM »

Tullio Crali, Nose Dive on the City, 1939.

Apparently he also has Nose Dive on the Airport but I've never seen it.

yeah.  apparently he and a couple of other italian artists post WWI were really inspired by airplanes and flight.  i saw a few other pictures of his on the internet, but none were as cool as that nose dive one.  i really need to find more futurist artists because i really like the aesthetic, if not the philosophy. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
milesofsparks

« Reply #313 on: Jan 01, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »

they also liked fast cars.  many of them died young.

martin_van_buren

« Reply #314 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »

They also liked fascism, but that didn't end up really helping them any.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #315 on: Jan 01, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »

I've just started reading a collection of Schopenhaure essays on GI's recommendation. I'm only on my second page of Schopenhauer's writing, but the 25+ page introduction was really cool. I think I'll like this.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
das kranke Tier

« Reply #316 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:45:15 PM »

Heart Schopenhauer

Compendious as hell
alistarr*

« Reply #317 on: Jan 03, 2008, 04:22:35 AM »

well, hello again reading thread.

i can't find the post in which i said i'd started reading infinite jest which shows how long ago it was, but i finished over the holiday and i feel very sad about that. i think i was reading it for approximately 1 year, so it feels very strange to have it not by my bed. it was good.

i also finished Shalimar the Clown[i/], by one salman rushdie, which after an uncertain start (wasn't sure where it was going) turned out pretty much exactly what i'd expected and hoped for - which is to say it didn't go how i thought it would and i was unexpectedly delighted.
jebreject

« Reply #318 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:55:57 AM »

So, I'm still wading through Blood Meridian. Turns out it's a terrible book to read at work, in intervals of a minute or less (usually less). So I'm bringing in something lighter to read at work, and I'll try to force myself to read when I'm home. Or I'll just bring it on the bus with me Sunday.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #319 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »

I think Blood Meridian's best read in like two or three marathon sessions your first time through.

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #320 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »

Yeah, so I think the bus will be good for that. It was pretty much impossible to read for a minute at a time between calls.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Greg Nog

« Reply #321 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »

I think I mentioned this before, but I read a lot of Blood Meridian while smoking, which worked remarkably well -- in long sessions and under the influence, the prose has this long, pulsing, overpowering terror about it.

Anyway, I'm reading The Iliad, still, and really loving it.  I shoulda read this a long time ago.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #322 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »

Oh man, The Illiad is super intense!

Compendious as hell
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #323 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »

Hell yeah.  Diomedes is a fucking killing machine.  I love that bit.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Greg Nog

« Reply #324 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »

I KNOW OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T ANYONE EVER TELL ME ABOUT DIOMEDES

Just last night, in fact, I was talking to coldforge about this:  "Dude's all, 'Yeah, I think I'll kill Aphrodite because why not she's a pretty lame god amirite?' and then STABS HER IN THE FUCKING WRIST, this guy is INSANE"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Das Book: the very new reading thread
Jump to: