Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 02:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658107 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Author Topic: Das Book: the very new reading thread  (Read 70174 times)
Ah_Pook

« Reply #475 on: Jan 31, 2008, 02:40:45 AM »

it just seemed to me like he got most of the way done writing a straight arctic exploration story, and then noticed it was kinda boring so he said "i'll throw in a monster and some psychic eskimos that should spice things up!". none of that really worked for me, outside of a few scenes here and there.

also it was approximately 4000 pages too long.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
davy

« Reply #476 on: Jan 31, 2008, 02:54:20 AM »

that monster was bad ass.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Greg Nog

« Reply #477 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:51:19 AM »

I just finished Born Standing Up, and it was quite pleasant.  I think next will be a re-reading, either of Lord Jim or Heaney's translation of Beowulf.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #478 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »

I'm just not allowed to buy any more books until I read the ones I already have at home waiting to be read.

if i made this rule for myself, it would be at least 2015 before i could buy another book.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Almanzo

« Reply #479 on: Jan 31, 2008, 01:46:51 PM »

I just finished Born Standing Up, and it was quite pleasant.  I think next will be a re-reading, either of Lord Jim or Heaney's translation of Beowulf.

Read the fuck out of Lord Jim.

Sodomize Intolerance
Almanzo

« Reply #480 on: Jan 31, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »

Has anyone read Kathryn Davis' The Thin Place? I read it a few months ago and can't stop thinking about it. It's probably the best thing I've read in a decade or so - just absolutely beautiful and scary and masterful.

Sodomize Intolerance
girl

« Reply #481 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »

I'm just not allowed to buy any more books until I read the ones I already have at home waiting to be read.

if i made this rule for myself, it would be at least 2015 before i could buy another book.

That sounds about right for me, too. Possibly longer since I haven't been reading anything at all lately.

this is a story and you're not in it
Greg Nog

« Reply #482 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »

Read the fuck out of Lord Jim.

Too late!  My recent hard-on for ancient epics won the day again, and I started Beowulf this morning.  I'd like to say Lord Jim will be next, but at this rate, I might just re-visit Gilgamesh.
guanajuato

« Reply #483 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:19:42 PM »

Has anyone read Kathryn Davis' The Thin Place? I read it a few months ago and can't stop thinking about it. It's probably the best thing I've read in a decade or so - just absolutely beautiful and scary and masterful.

yes! an intriguing book. magical!

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
guanajuato

« Reply #484 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »

andrew, did i tell you i picked up duma key? it's good so far. it kind of seems like the male version of lisey's story, and i'm on page 419 and nothing much has happened, but you know, the characters are very well done and the relationships seem genuine. i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and according to the foreshadowing that's been happening, that time is not far off.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #485 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »

yeah, you're about to get there. i was on page 350 or so when i woke up on wednesday. started reading in bed, since i had the day off, and was planning to do so for maybe an hour and then go about my day. nope--got sucked in hardcore. had to finish the book right there. ended up being in bed til 3 pm.

i figured there was no way "lisey's story" would mark a full-on return to form; just figured it'd be an isolated incident. but like "lisey's story", "duma key" is as good as the stuff he was writing in the late 80s and early 90s, which i haven't been able to say since "gerald's game". i really liked "duma key" a lot. one thing i noticed--it's not like his older stories in that you meet characters, you come to care about them, and then they go through some horrible supernatural shit that is totally out of their control and just have to do their best to survive. i definitely got a feeling of tragedy from "duma key". there were several points at which people could have done something to prevent the terrible things that ended up happening to them, and they just never did. that's not something i've ever gotten from a stephen king book. it was interesting.

Almanzo

« Reply #486 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »

I'm reallllllllllly trying to hold off on buying Duma Key as I'm a lifelong King fan and I hated - ABOMINATED - Lisey's Story. It's all been down into the toilet since the van accident, though The Colorado Kid - which I suspect was in the can for years - was excellent.

But Target had duma for something like $16 the other day.

Sodomize Intolerance
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #487 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »

it blows my mind just how often we disagree.

Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #488 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:04:11 AM »

I feel kinda bad bringing this up, cause the world is hatin' on it, but I really want to know what y'all thought of Mark Z's Only Revolutions. I know it doesn't really compare to House of Leaves but, like, it's not supposed to, really. All I know is that guanajuato said it was a career killer. I'm personally 96 pages in on each side, and am starting to really enjoy it, but have been reduced to ignoring the timeline (and of course the upside down writing) completely. I'm going 8 pages each side.

You?

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
cold before sunrise

« Reply #489 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:43:01 AM »

no doubt, i've broken the rule to treat the things you have with love and appreciation by neglecting dozens of shelved books but nigga, please. these are precious commodities that could go out of print at any minute so snap up that sugar while it's still available and get to tending to it later. you'll never tire of having instant entertainment available and there's nothing like having a smart bookshelf to make you feel the importance of knowledge because it's yours for the having. read up a storm!

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Almanzo

« Reply #490 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »

I feel kinda bad bringing this up, cause the world is hatin' on it, but I really want to know what y'all thought of Mark Z's Only Revolutions. I know it doesn't really compare to House of Leaves but, like, it's not supposed to, really. All I know is that guanajuato said it was a career killer. I'm personally 96 pages in on each side, and am starting to really enjoy it, but have been reduced to ignoring the timeline (and of course the upside down writing) completely. I'm going 8 pages each side.

You?

Just a completely embarrassing piece of shit. Comically pretentious and misguidedly artsy-fartsy nonsense. Makes Kathy Acker look like James Joyce.

Sodomize Intolerance
Good Intentions

« Reply #491 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »

I know that I might start sounding like a broken record, but could you please add some propositional content to your post? It's not very arresting to see you make a complicated series of grunts.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 03:19:15 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
elpollodiablo

« Reply #492 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »

Why is it okay for everyone else to make subjective, unqualified content and not this guy? I've noticed you bitching about this a lot recently and quite honestly, what the fuck

The fact that Mesmerize is a total mouthbreathing tool notwithstanding, obvs.

That was completely uncalled for; I allowed your support for Ron Paul and hated of M.Z.D. to color my judgment. I don't know for a fact that you breathe through your mouth.

No more posting from work, jesus christ
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 06:03:50 PM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
C of heartbreak

« Reply #493 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:54:35 PM »

Ha, I was hoping there would be some kind of explanation.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Good Intentions

« Reply #494 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »

A lot = twice, over a month.

Almanzo posts nothing except subjective, unqualified content, which is fine if uninformative, like making an unflavoured marangue, but he also does it in the most extravagant way possible, as if he's trying to impress us by how convuluted he can make his proclamations. It's like he swallowed a dictionary stripped of definitions. To do this every time is grating, especially when he does it dismissively, as it is most of the time. It's like he's trying to drive a glowing neon stake through the heart of every thread he posts on.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #495 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »

Dude, you are calling someone out for making convoluted proclamations? Seriously?

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #496 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »

Contentless convuluted proclomations.

It's the hyper-dismissiveness that really gets my goat, though.
guanajuato

« Reply #497 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »

yeah, you're about to get there. i was on page 350 or so when i woke up on wednesday. started reading in bed, since i had the day off, and was planning to do so for maybe an hour and then go about my day. nope--got sucked in hardcore. had to finish the book right there. ended up being in bed til 3 pm.

i figured there was no way "lisey's story" would mark a full-on return to form; just figured it'd be an isolated incident. but like "lisey's story", "duma key" is as good as the stuff he was writing in the late 80s and early 90s, which i haven't been able to say since "gerald's game". i really liked "duma key" a lot. one thing i noticed--it's not like his older stories in that you meet characters, you come to care about them, and then they go through some horrible supernatural shit that is totally out of their control and just have to do their best to survive. i definitely got a feeling of tragedy from "duma key". there were several points at which people could have done something to prevent the terrible things that ended up happening to them, and they just never did. that's not something i've ever gotten from a stephen king book. it was interesting.

i managed to get through it, sad to say the joy i felt for the first couple pages and intermittently up to the middle of the book became less good. the last hundred pages were torturous. i got the feeling he wrote the first half -- and really liked what he was writing, and how maturish it sounded. would that he would have just kept writing in this vein and not attempted to attach a silly 150 page ghost in the machine story where suddenly characters are developing talents that hadn't been mentioned before (ventriliquism??!), featuring the same aunt jemimah black character that unfortunately pops up in a lot of king's works.

unlike you andrew, this has got to be one of my most unliked king novels. because you can see it falling apart, it choreographs its fall, probably king thinks that this wheel-spinning is superb mature suspense. i thought the real suspense was the main character's relationships and recovery from injury and his struggle with the creative process, it was mature, honest, and insightful.

this is probably one of king's better (recent) books, if you ignore the pacing flaws, the clumsy foreshadowing, the crime of killing (of almost all) the characters you're meant to care about off screen (this isn't no country for old men and king has no excuse to do this), the over-developed friendship of the main protagonist with a secondary character (yes we know they are friends king -- please, stop) -- and yeah, the  erratic ever-changing character of the protagonist's ex -- all that can be excused away.

the prose certainly isn't pablum like miles thinks, it's hard to put down, but

but i hate duma key for its disappointments.

Almanzo

« Reply #498 on: Feb 01, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »

A lot = twice, over a month.

Almanzo posts nothing except subjective, unqualified content, which is fine if uninformative, like making an unflavoured marangue, but he also does it in the most extravagant way possible, as if he's trying to impress us by how convuluted he can make his proclamations. It's like he swallowed a dictionary stripped of definitions. To do this every time is grating, especially when he does it dismissively, as it is most of the time. It's like he's trying to drive a glowing neon stake through the heart of every thread he posts on.

That book does not warrant a more nuanced post. It's a toilet; the end. "MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS: Only Revolutions is a really shitty book, THE END, a limited series."

"House of Leaves" is one of the finest horror novels ever penned and scared me so much that I had to stop reading it in the daytime when I was home alone.

Sodomize Intolerance
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #499 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:47:59 PM »

hah, you know, almanzo, gi is right about one thing--you seem champing at the bit to take a scathingly contrarian position whenever you can find one. i think this is why i disagree with you so damn much.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Das Book: the very new reading thread
Jump to: