Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 05:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658134 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is it silly and pointless to buy ProTools records on vinyl?  (Read 2246 times)
Almanzo

« on: Jun 19, 2008, 03:42:46 PM »

I buy a lot of vinyl, but I have a picky personal rule - "NO DIGITAL RECORDS ON VINYL, BRO." To me, buying a ProTools record on vinyl - something like the latest hot Matador release - is sort of analogous to buying a personal 16mm film print of a movie like The 300..."What's the point, dude?"

It's not some audiophile thing or weird analog snobbery, but it's pure practicality - the whole reason people love old records, sonically, is that they're merely the end result of an all-analog process, from the initial capture onto tape to processing and mixing through analog effects and an analog board down to a final stereo master tape...then on to the lathe, carving analog signals onto plastic. The sum total of every stage of this process results in a very ear-pleasing sound.

Start tossing in recording digitally and bounce mixing or mixing down to DAT and there's no real point in printing the final version to an analog medium. It's not going to make the initial capture and summing of signals sound better!

What do you think?

Sodomize Intolerance
elpollodiablo

« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »

Isn't part of the appeal of vinyl in the actual physical artifact, though? Like in having the outsized packaging and the record itself, not just the 'warmth' or whatever you get form vinyl recordings?

think 'on the road.'
Almanzo

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2008, 03:53:48 PM »

Isn't part of the appeal of vinyl in the actual physical artifact, though? Like in having the outsized packaging and the record itself, not just the 'warmth' or whatever you get form vinyl recordings?

Yep. It's a major reason I've re-purchased a lot of stuff on the good ol' viynail.

Sodomize Intolerance
elpollodiablo

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »

So what's the problem?

think 'on the road.'
Almanzo

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »

Yep. It's a major reason I've re-purchased a lot of stuff on the good ol' viynail.

Well, I mean re-purchased as in "I already have the CD or some mpeethrees of this, but I want to hold a big, beautiful product in my hands." And also, the records in question are all-analog productions, so it makes sense to own them on vinyl.

Sodomize Intolerance
ddillaman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »

I'm no expert on this, but a lot of records are recorded at a higher digital fidelity than the 16-bit/48khz CD format, and the transfer to CD is therefore a lossy one. Whether this means that those same records would be made from a higher-quality digital master, I have no idea, but it certainly seems possible.
Bernard

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

Well, or how vinyl compares to CD in terms of lossiness. Anyone know anything about this?

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:51:29 PM »

Whether it was made on protools or not, it will still sound better on vinyl, technically.  It depends on your set up on how it actually comes out, but format alone, Vinyl is the superior. 

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008, 04:58:46 PM by WhereTheSlimeLive » Logged

Puddle Pants
davy

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »

i buy vinyl primarily for the physical qualities it has. with my hearing as bad as it is, the concerns of audiophiles are no concerns of mine.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »

when a new vinyl has skip to it though...most aggravating thing in the world

Puddle Pants
davy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »

yeah, that sucks hard.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
DanielBurns11

« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »

I don't buy vinyl because I'm an audiophile or anything. My set up is pretty cheap, and in no way emits high quality sounds in the first place. I like them because of the points made here, and plenty of other places a million times before (bigger artwork, more of an artifact, less disposable etc.)

It's sad, but I'm so addicted to Last.FM that I prefer to buy albums on CD rather than vinyl so it can be 'scrobbled' when I listen to it...

Help?

diesel_powered

« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »

Whether it was made on protools or not, it will still sound better on vinyl, technically.  It depends on your set up on how it actually comes out, but format alone, Vinyl is the superior. 

Sadly, this entirely depends on the band and how good their engineer is. I've gotten some records that I know for a fact were mastered for vinyl (buy any Shellac release if you feel like you need to hear what "reference quality" sounds like) and I've gotten some that made it blatantly obvious that it was mastered for CD and then dumped on to vinyl. So yeah, this is true, but it also depends on whether the high-resolution audio was used for the vinyl release or if the vinyl is just CD audio on a vinyl disc.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
C of heartbreak

« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

Audiophiles who listen exclusively to vinyl are completely kidding themselves. If you're going to make rules about sound quality, you're going to have to rule out any records longer than 40 minutes or so, because a 12" record can only fit about 20 mins/side without doctoring the inside tracks. Plus there are a million other variables that require you to know a pretty great deal about how an album was recorded in order to know Vinyl is in fact a better format. Which, if you're into that kind of thing I guess, is fine. But I don't see why you wouldn't just buy vinyl for the hell of it, if you like vinyl. It looks nicer and is usually the same price or cheaper.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
jebreject

« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »

Yeah, it seems a pretty pointless, arbitrary distinction to make

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »

Well, 12" have the best sound quality when they are singles. That's (one reason atleast) why they are the preferred DJ piece. 

Puddle Pants
diesel_powered

« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2008, 10:32:20 PM »

The 12" is definitely wayyyyy louder than a full album. Too bad they're usually pressed like shit.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
alistarr*

« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2008, 04:35:00 AM »

if quality and character of the sound you hear is your sole motivation with regard to which format of a given release you purchase, the only possible recommendation is to listen to each format and decide which you like best, in each particular case.

there are more important variables than simply checking whether or not the music was recorded using digital equipment, including everything everyone's said here and even your equipment and your ears. whether or not it was digitally recorded should probably be the last thing to give a shit about for this particular question.

unless you're doing it for purely analog-purist reasons, as opposed to musical ones, in which case you probably hate not just the digitally recorded albums you buy (regardless of format) but yourself as well for buying them. either way, to answer the question, no.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Is it silly and pointless to buy ProTools records on vinyl?
Jump to: