Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 26, 2014, 09:12:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657786 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: more more shows recently attended  (Read 39736 times)
El_Josharino

« Reply #225 on: Mar 23, 2008, 10:41:21 PM »

Hey! I was there too. Our paths may have even crossed a couple times. I was at that bowerbirds show for a bit at least.

The hell? Why didn't we hang out?

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #226 on: Mar 24, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »

oh man that week... but next year, friend- I will buy you a free drink.  Cool
I was so glad when I found mrs bea's toward the end of the week- a respite from all that dowtown insanity. but I kinda regret not buying hot tamales from the guy selling them as he wandered through the crowd.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
peacocks

« Reply #227 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:05:07 AM »

I saw Kimya Dawson with Angelo Spencer and Paul Baribeau tonight at a planetarium.  During a few of Ang's songs and Kimya's "I like giants"  they turned all the lights off and just had the stars moving around.  It was the most relaxing, laid back show I've ever been to.

dick-check your priviledge
Cowboy Dan

« Reply #228 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:14:13 PM »

i saw run on sentence with the nick jaina band (both from portland) last night. both were really great. both had a nice, folky, jubilant, broken-down-street-band sound. nick jaina's songs have more of a slow burn sound while ROS was a bit more raucous. ROS reminds me of NMH (shorthand for lyrics about dying and such).

howardfinkel

« Reply #229 on: Mar 27, 2008, 03:35:01 AM »

Just got back from Boredoms show.

I don't really know what happened, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't possible.

I need to go put my mind back together.

Maaik

« Reply #230 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »

I saw Avenue Q last night.  It was funny.

I need anne the man lessons
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #231 on: Mar 27, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »

Avenue Q is playing next door to me.  The people who come out seem happy about it.

I saw the Acid Mothers Temple last night. I have never heard noises like that before in my life.  At some points I could feel my brain move.  Also, never before have I seen a collection of such rad looking individuals in my life.  I have new idols.

Puddle Pants
El_Josharino

« Reply #232 on: Mar 28, 2008, 04:06:06 AM »

So I may or may not have ended up on stage with the Felice Brothers tonight. Chances are good that I did, though.

El_Josharino

« Reply #233 on: Mar 28, 2008, 04:06:36 AM »

Those dudes do not fuck around with the washboard. Or the whiskey.

melancolley

« Reply #234 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:43:16 AM »

Wilco last Tuesday were stunningly good. I really enjoyed Sky Blue Sky, but wasn't sure I liked it as much as the previous two. They were mostly the best songs of the night though, Side With the Seeds blew my face off. Much more raw than on the record, and they benefited from it. Played quite a few from Being There as well.

Nels Cline is a FUCKING AWESOME GUITARIST.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #235 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »

Antero's band was pretty great last night.

I'm sorry I didn't stick around or say hi dude but I had to get to work.  I'll definitely try to hit Cal's and/or Quencher's. 

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #236 on: Mar 29, 2008, 06:53:06 AM »

went to see the gourds after all. i had to wake up early this morning, and i'm feeling groggy, so these words won't adequately express what a life-affirming musical joyfest a gourds show is. makes me never want to see another mopey indie rock band ever again. such a different atmosphere, such a positive experience. everybody was smiling hugely, everybody was dancing in one way or another...at one point there was even a hoe-down dancing circle in the front of the stage. i didn't get in it, but it was fun to watch.

i bought a newcastle and sat down next to a stevedore from savannah named kevin and we talked all night. it was his first gourds show and he was giddy. it was my second and i was, too.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2008, 08:05:03 AM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
jebreject

« Reply #237 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »

Low last night. Didn't care for the openers, the something something Gospel something, but Low, oh man, I love Low so much. What else can I say? And the venue, Turner Hall, was BEAUTIFUL. It was table seating, and there were candles on all the tables, and it was strange, but really an amazing night. And Low was LOUD AS FUCK at certain points, which is awesome, 'cause Low being loud, whenever that rarely happens, is ALWAYS fucking rad.

Not even my toothache, which was attacking in full force, could ruin that show.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
slow west vultures

« Reply #238 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »

i bought a newcastle and sat down next to a stevedore from savannah named kevin and we talked all night. it was his first gourds show and he was giddy. it was my second and i was, too.

he was  a real stevedore?  i thought they only still had those in decemberists songs Smile

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #239 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »

believe it or not, some shipping is still done by boat, and those boats have to be unloaded by someone.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
davy

« Reply #240 on: Mar 29, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »

believe it or not, some shipping is still done by boat, and those boats have to be unloaded by someone.

yeah, this fella told me that savannah is now the largest cargo port east of the mississippi, which is crazy. said he worked on average 60 hours a week. he looked pretty well-off...must've been a supervisor or something.

it's funny cuz when he mentioned he was a stevedore, he gave me a look like he was used to people not knowing what the hell a "stevedore" was. but see, i've been studying obscure terminology for months now in preparation for the miller analogies test, and "stevedore" was actually on the exam. he seemed pleased by that.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
slow west vultures

« Reply #241 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:34:15 PM »

yeah, i don't think i knew what it was when i heard it in, i believe 'the soldiering life'.  but then i was reading John Dos Passos 1919 and one of the characters is awol from the navy and doing random grunt work on merchant vessels at the beginning, and i think that's when i figured out what it was.  i mean i realize that type of work is still done, stevedore just sounds like an occupation i associate with 100 years ago. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #242 on: Mar 29, 2008, 05:09:15 PM »

it's understandable--it's way less widespread than it once was, based on a combination of automation and consolidation of shipping routes. it's definitely something that's relatively rare now and was quite common 100 years ago.

girl

« Reply #243 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:42:42 PM »

Low last night. Didn't care for the openers, the something something Gospel something,

Not The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir? I enjoy their s/t album.  I would be sad to hear that they're not good live.

this is a story and you're not in it
difficult

« Reply #244 on: Mar 29, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »

Stevedore? But I thought everybody would know from Series 2 of the Wire...

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
RavingLunatic

« Reply #245 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:11:31 PM »

I just attended an art show at which the work of a guy who I work with at Borders was shown. I was amazed at how good it was. Digital images don't do justice to the real thing, but this gives you an idea at least.

Just amazing.

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2008, 10:17:01 PM by RavingLunatic » Logged

I will meditate and then destroy you!
RavingLunatic

« Reply #246 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »

You can find more of hist stuff ag www.davidbirkey.com

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Bubbachups

« Reply #247 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »

Looks pretty cool, I like the colors of that third one.
Bubbachups

« Reply #248 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »

Just back from the excellent Dwars Festival in Amsterdam, featuring: Tarentel, Jack Rose, David Thomas Broughton, This Leo Sunrise, Voice of the Seven Woods and Hush Arbors.

Jack Rose was just stunning, he looks quite nonchalant when playing but his technique is so good that the songs seem natural and effortless. Very spectacular in an easygoing manner.

Also, David Thomas Broughton is one weird guy. He was looping weird sounds together with his beautiful, haunting voice and often improvised lyrics, sipping tee while playing guitar, standing on chairs on the front row, beatboxing and playing percussion on beer glasses in the audience. And somehow it all made sense.

Highlight of the evening for me though was This Leo Sunrise. Incredibly talented, down to earth band from the Netherlands. Probably labelled as an alt-country band but more in a Timesbold kind of way. Canít wait for them to be able to make a proper recording, so far they havenít had the chance to do that.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #249 on: Mar 30, 2008, 02:20:19 AM »

Stevedore? But I thought everybody would know from Series 2 of the Wire...

i actually thought the same thing but was embarrassed to say it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: more more shows recently attended
Jump to: