Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 20, 2014, 03:38:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658302 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
Print
Author Topic: more more shows recently attended  (Read 40228 times)
davy

« Reply #475 on: Jun 17, 2008, 01:06:49 AM »

Zoso, a Zeppelin cover band. (A friend's band opened, and Zeppelin was rad.)
They more or less duplicate the originals, for better or for worse. The singer made a comment about trying to be more than that, but I didn't hear it. Besides, ain't no shame in playing a strong "The Ocean."
Visually, it was tough to watch the show and not think of David St. Hubbins et al.
The most interesting part of the show is the crowd they drew-- fratty dudes, fifty-something dudes who are still rockin' the p-tail and their ladies, lonely-lookin' thirty-something dudes (Hi there!) and kinda-sorta metal (the sort that wears shirts for bands I recognize) dudes. In short, dudes. My favorite dude was a fifty-something guy who made the scene dressed as Golf Dad. Tiger Woods polo tucked in, Bermuda shorts, and white sneaks. While the rest of his cohort was trying to bring back the glory days with their faded jeans and black tees, Golf Dad kept it real. Respect.

did you see them in athens?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dumbfish

« Reply #476 on: Jun 17, 2008, 09:24:38 AM »

Raleigh, Saturday. Did you attend the Athens hoedown? Would be interesting to know if the crowd  would have been the same in a more hip-scenester sorta town.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
davy

« Reply #477 on: Jun 17, 2008, 09:44:17 AM »

i haven't seen them yet, which is odd, because they've been a part of athens' music scene (and pretty consistently the most well-received tribute band in town) for at least the eight or ten years that i've been around.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
El_Josharino

« Reply #478 on: Jun 19, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »

I just saw Return To Forever. Holy shit. I didn't know that human fingers could do such things.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
ellaguru

« Reply #479 on: Jun 19, 2008, 12:16:38 AM »

Just got in from seeing Langhorne Slim. He's pretty fun. Also he looks a lot like Xander Harris.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
howardfinkel

« Reply #480 on: Jun 19, 2008, 01:05:45 AM »

Just got in from seeing Langhorne Slim. He's pretty fun. Also he looks a lot like Xander Harris.

Yeah I agree on both counts. He put on a hell of a show when I saw him a few years back. Loving the new single too.

slow west vultures

« Reply #481 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:12:31 PM »

i went to see Times New Viking/ Psychedelic Horsehit last night.  it was an . . . interesting concert going experience.  probably the first time in modified where i felt like things were on the verge of somebody from one of the bands breaking something, or walking off stage, or getting into a verbal fight, or just the night ending in general chaos.  but it went okay i guess!  it probably wasn't even that bad, but let's just say the lead singer from psychedelic horseshit had been drinking a fair bit.  i think he was a little upset with the monitors not working and the vocals not coming through clearly, so during the first song it sounded like he stopped and started over at least two times.  and then a couple of songs later he asked the sound guy 'can you just turn our vocals all the way up, because we can't really play our instruments at all'  so hearing their first couple of songs i had no idea if i was hearing what psychedelic horseshit normally sounded like, or with crappy vocals being lost in the mix becuase of the audio issues, or playing drunk and angry because of said audio issues . . . (or all of the above)  it wasn't half bad, it was just a little tense/uneasy seeing how drunk the lead singer was and wondering if we were going to witness some brian jonestown massacre like meltdown on stage.  he seemed kind of upset with his drummer (wearing a wig, and part of his drumset including a mic into a garbage can that had Respect spray painted on it) and correcting him a couple of times during the songs.  after one song was over it sounded like he played the guitar part again telling his drummer 'there's supposed to be drop outs in certain part of the songs'  but then it all blended into the next song and i couldn't tell.  then their last song was this really extended jam with a pretty cool bassline, and the lead singer eventually brought out the Maker's Mark to pass around - which i'm pretty sure was the whole problem to begin with.  that bottle was pretty omnipresent after their set was over - getting passed around to everybody, being offered to the all girl teenage screamo-grunge type band that opened the show. 

the band before that was a guy and a girl from australia called Fabulous Diamonds.  i don't know if i saw all their set but the first song i heard was pretty cool.  the girl played drums and sang into the mic distorting and echoing her vocals so it was real insistent and hypnotic.  the guy had a couple of small keyboards and just kept building walls of sound with it.  at least from a sonically distinguishable level, it was probably the most accessible music of the night.  i ended up buying their cd after their show just because i wanted to talk to the australian girl about australia, and i thought ten dollars might help them out on tour.  i have no idea how they'll make it through a full tour with a band like psychedelic horseshit, but the guy seemed part of the problem too - launching plastic cups at psychedelic horseshit while they were on stage in a (one hopes) playful? gesture, and staggering around half drunk between sets.   

times new viking i couldn't really get into.  i was wavering their whole set between putting the ear plugs in, and saving my ear drums, and then taking them out to see if i was missing anything because it didn't sound that good with ear plugs in.  the girl keyboard player and the singing drummer seemed pretty cool, but they were all drowned out by the guitarist just playing his guitar as loud as he could.  i really can't recall any song that memorable from their set, but i was hoping to catch some catchy hook or lyric.

all in all, for being a pretty terrible show sonically, it was a most interesting night just watching the wobbling chaos unfold and occasionally catching something that sounded like a catchy 60s garage hook buried beneath all the apathetic and (in psychedelic horseshits case) irritated squall. 
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008, 04:20:21 PM by slow west vultures » Logged

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
slow west vultures

« Reply #482 on: Jun 19, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »

a cannanes show. that's the last fucking place in the world i'd expect to run into tim morse. how insane is that.

a second hurrah to the cannanes!  i dicsovered them reviewing cds for my college radio station.  i was just thinking of the song 'Sydney 2000' a couple of days ago when i was thinking about the upcoming olympics. 

jebreject

« Reply #483 on: Jun 19, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »

Joe, that sounds like a good show!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
slow west vultures

« Reply #484 on: Jun 19, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »

i think i've been going to the wrong kind of shows.  all the other shows i've seen at modified seem tame and professional by comparison.  weird drunken theatrics definitely make the night more interesting. 

jebreject

« Reply #485 on: Jun 19, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »

New thread here

Thanks for playing!

slow west vultures

« Reply #486 on: Jun 19, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »

does this mean you're taco bongo?

jebreject

« Reply #487 on: Jun 19, 2008, 08:22:12 PM »

I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: more more shows recently attended
Jump to: