Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 09:52:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: photography again  (Read 52727 times)
das kranke Tier

« Reply #275 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:02:26 PM »

Damn, dude...skillz!

Compendious as hell
elpollodiablo

« Reply #276 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:38:31 PM »

No shit!

think 'on the road.'
Cowboy Dan

« Reply #277 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:14:08 PM »

that's a really nice picture but i wish it was something other than Dude walking down the steps

das kranke Tier

« Reply #278 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:52:11 PM »

that's a really nice picture but i wish it was something other than Dude walking down the steps

Question

This perplexes me to no end...

Compendious as hell
martin_van_buren

« Reply #279 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

Dude walking down the steps is great, don't listen to him.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #280 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »

Exactly, because that's what the picture is

Compendious as hell
Cowboy Dan

« Reply #281 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »

Question

This perplexes me to no end...

The picture is really nice, but I wish instead of that person (Dude), who's not doing anything, and doesn't mean anything, it was someone or something that conveyed some sort of emotion other than Walking Down The Steps And Wait There's An American Flag Too.

edit: damn dude thats the bomb

SPACERACE

« Reply #282 on: Dec 06, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »

you got your small, foreign looking dude walking out of something looking distinctly american and very stately.

that's got enough metaphoical content to make me piss my pants

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #283 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »

doesn't mean anything, it was someone or something that conveyed some sort of emotion other than Walking Down The Steps And Wait There's An American Flag Too.

like a goat?

I'm not trying to convey a message so much as make an ok print.  I mean, I picked that guy because he was the most centered thing to walk out of Faneuil Hall for the five minutes I waited. If anything it was about BIG frame for a small guy.  The most meaning I could try to pull out of it is what reese said above me...but that was not my motive. I'm just in an introduction class.  I mean...I didn't even know how to use a light meter until 3 months ago.  If my photograph has some sort composition...

as simple as that...I'll be happy with the negative.  I'm just trying get into understanding technique.  I can tell from your photos that you know what's up and I acknowledge that you're right about lack of meaning.   I guess that would be my next step when going into my next class though. 
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 09:25:12 PM by WhereTheSlimeLive » Logged

Puddle Pants
coldforge

« Reply #284 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:39:11 PM »

WTSL, don't worry a fucking little bit about meaning. You have a good eye.

l'era del terzo mondo.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #285 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:41:36 PM »

Good eye indeed. Some people have a good intuition for balance and composition and that right there is damn good evidence that you do.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
milesofsparks

« Reply #286 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:41:50 PM »

I'm not trying to convey a message so much as make an ok print.  I mean, I picked that guy because he was the most centered thing to walk out of Faneuil Hall for the five minutes I waited.  

I actually would have preferred it if he wasn't quite so centered.  seems kinda static.  though maybe the tension between stairs and compositional centering was something you wanted?  or maybe I've been working on a freaking overly symmetrical building all day and it's driving me crazy.  your photos are excellent, though--keep em coming.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
Cowboy Dan

« Reply #287 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:09:22 PM »

I'm not trying to convey a message so much as make an ok print.  I mean, I picked that guy because he was the most centered thing to walk out of Faneuil Hall for the five minutes I waited. If anything it was about BIG frame for a small guy.  The most meaning I could try to pull out of it is what reese said above me...but that was not my motive. I'm just in an introduction class.  I mean...I didn't even know how to use a light meter until 3 months ago.  If my photograph has some sort composition...

as simple as that...I'll be happy with the negative.  I'm just trying get into understanding technique.  I can tell from your photos that you know what's up and I acknowledge that you're right about lack of meaning.   I guess that would be my next step when going into my next class though. 

they're both really good looking pictures. you're a lot better than i was at the stage you're at. i wasn't trying to shit on you at all.

slow west vultures

« Reply #288 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:49:35 PM »

doesn't mean anything, it was someone or something that conveyed some sort of emotion other than Walking Down The Steps And Wait There's An American Flag Too.

like a goat?

I'm not trying to convey a message so much as make an ok print.  I mean, I picked that guy because he was the most centered thing to walk out of Faneuil Hall for the five minutes I waited. If anything it was about BIG frame for a small guy.  The most meaning I could try to pull out of it is what reese said above me...but that was not my motive. I'm just in an introduction class.  I mean...I didn't even know how to use a light meter until 3 months ago.  If my photograph has some sort composition...

a very profound commentary on today's metrosexuality.   Wink

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
crystalcakes

« Reply #289 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:05:30 AM »

A friend showed those Chanukah ham pics to me, after showing them to a very Boston Irish Catholic friend of his who looked at them and didn't get it at all. My friend explained about pork not being kosher and the Catholic friend at first actually didn't believe him, and then said, "not...ever?" Apparently it was a bit of a mind-blowing concept.

in the south jews are often just as surprised about the pork thing.  someone told me once about the roasted pig served at a rosh hashana gathering. 

Quote from: "John"
life is now worthless and I am going to eat cat food & die
jess

« Reply #290 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:58:17 AM »

I saw a play not that long ago about the Leo Frank story, and one point it made was that in the south, or Atlanta at least, Jews generally seemed more like Southerners in many respects than they did your more traditional Jews. I'm thinking of getting my brother a bar of that bacon-chocolate for Chanukah though, so clearly, I'm not so devout myself.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #291 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:23:08 AM »

Dude, Lucy and I ate some samples of that the other day.  It was pretty awesome.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
jess

« Reply #292 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:22:05 AM »

She told me! And if she likes it, that's proof that it's not just for people like me who like eating weird things, but that it's pretty much simply awesome. Well, at least for the non-veg, non-kosher crowd.
Augo

« Reply #293 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »

Woke up to this little fella sprawled out like this on the foot of my bed.

Heart  Heart  Heart

I'm really not even a cat person

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
Greg Nog

« Reply #294 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:07:44 AM »

Hee hee hee.  My cat was doing that this morning.  Then, a few minutes later, she started a meowing campaign for no apparent reason.  Which quickly got less cute:

"MEOW MEOW MEOW"

"Lucy, aren't you talkative today!"

"MEOW MEOW MEOW"

"Do you want something?  You've got food and water!  Just saying hello, darlin'?"

"MEOW MEOW MEOW"

"Okay, I really don't know what this is about."

"MEOW MEOW MEOW
MEOW MEOW MEOW
MEOW MEOW MEOW"

"oh my god okay seriously shut the fuck up"
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007, 11:42:30 AM by Greg Nog » Logged
Augo

« Reply #295 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »

Haha Lucy sounds like Space Cat's kinda cat.  He talks SO FREAKING MUCH.  Many times I'll make it an active conversation and argue politics with him, or we'll talk about tuna casserole or our favorite bands from the 70s (Space Cat is a Bowie junkie).  I haven't been around a lot of cats in my life but I've never met one that rambles on like ours.

But yeah, in the morning it's usually just
"oh my god okay seriously shut the fuck up"

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
lastbubble

« Reply #296 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:03:21 PM »

Later this afternoon, Lucy and Reynard are sitting around the hearth back at kitty headquarters:

Reynard: So, did you tell master Greg about that horrendous blizzard coming down the pike, and that he should wear his scarf?
Lucy: Tried. Poor fellow thought I was asking for some kibble.
Reynard: Mmmm, shame. <pause> More milk in your tea?
Lucy: Yes, please.

Writhe in a cage of torment, my friend!
das kranke Tier

« Reply #297 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »

(Space Cat is a Bowie junkie)

Of course he is!

Compendious as hell
morgan

« Reply #298 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:15:15 PM »

I love the turn this thread has taken.  Also, Augo, CUTE CAT.  LOVE.
Heathcote

« Reply #299 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:43:10 PM »

i can't look at my cats anymore without thinking of this
!!!

Me. You. We Two

Audioscrobbler/last.fm

[url=h
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: photography again
Jump to: