Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658237 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Tales from Cinematic Motions  (Read 46588 times)
morgan

« Reply #275 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »

I thought American History X was good as hell.  Didn't like The Believer nearly as much as that or This Is England, and I almost don't remember anything at all about Romper Stomper -- that's how much of an impact it made on me.
coldforge

« Reply #276 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:50:35 AM »

i was a huge fan of the believer. TiE i've got waiting; romper stomper was a good time but had no lasting impact.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #277 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »

Has anyone seen shane meadow's "this is england" yet. I know some of yous caught up with 24/7 and room for romeo brass, but nottingham's main has really knocked it out the park this time. I've watched three times now, and it's damn near perfect.

Not to mention Dead Man's Shoes.  Paddy Considine = one of the greats of our time.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
hannah

« Reply #278 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »

I think I'm going to Margot at the Wedding by myself today, if anyone cares to join me. Huzzah.
heather marie

« Reply #279 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »

Where do you see most of your movies, Hannah? I'd have to say the #1 reason (okay, maybe #2 reason) why I haven't seen anything in theaters in months is because I have no idea what places are good theaters in the city.
Sing The Children Over

« Reply #280 on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »

Made in Britain is the definitive skinhead film. End of story.

The almighty dollar it ain't what it used to be.
Maaik

« Reply #281 on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:56:40 PM »

there's a movie theater intown that's showing the Joe Strummer doc AND Control AND Darjeeling Ltd.  I'ma hafta check them first two out.

I need anne the man lessons
auto-da-fey

« Reply #282 on: Dec 04, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »

By Hook or By Crook is this super-low-budget transgendered 2002 movie co-directed by and starring Silas Howard from Tribe 8, without much real plot but more a sort of meandering take on two sub-Bonnie-and-Clyde ladymen and their aimless exploits in San Francisco. I liked it a lot; it was clearly informed by everything from Cassavetes to Araki's Living End, but it has its own distinct trans perspective that I really appreciated, keeping gender lines fluid and eroticizing bodies that mainstream America usually shudders at (chicks with beards! oh no!). Some of the dramatic twists are a bit bland, but it compensates with a killer soundtrack, and Lynn Breedlove and Joan Jett both make quick cameo appearances. Watching this, Boys Don't Cry--a film I very much admire--seems very straight in comparison, at least in the way that film so clearly imagines a straight viewership while this one doesn't give a fuck.
jebreject

« Reply #283 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »

Made in Britain is the definitive skinhead film. End of story.

I tend to agree, though I haven't seen all these other ones.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
hannah

« Reply #284 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »

Where do you see most of your movies, Hannah? I'd have to say the #1 reason (okay, maybe #2 reason) why I haven't seen anything in theaters in months is because I have no idea what places are good theaters in the city.

Gene Siskel (164 North State Street) is an excellent, beautiful theater. It's where I saw Lake of Fire. It's currently showing the terrific Pedro Costa films.

The best theater for art-house and mainstream stuff is definitely River East (322 East Illinois Street), which is really convenient for you; parking is extremely expensive, but it's pretty close to the Metra and any of the express bus stops. If you go before noon on weekends the screenings are really cheap, like six bucks or something. The seats are really comfortable! And stadium-style. The one shitty thing is this horrible music video that plays before every film --3 Doors Down's song about joining the National Guard. Just dreadful.

I didn't go to Margot because I got worried about my applications.
howardfinkel

« Reply #285 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »

The seats are really comfortable! And stadium-style. The one shitty thing is this horrible music video that plays before every film --3 Doors Down's song about joining the National Guard. Just dreadful.

I haven't been to Gene Siskel or River East (I'm at Loyola University) but I'm going to have to check River East out soon just so I can experience this dreadful 3 Doors Down pre-film phenomenon.

So many movies I want/ed to see but lack of funds or traveling around to see thee gandalfs always got in the way.

That said, I made it out to the Music Box on Sunday to see Crispin Glover's "It is Fine! Everything is Fine." film along with his slide show/book reading before hand and the Q & A after. It was a really interesting film.

SPOILER ALERT, Don't look any further!

So it's fundamentally a story about the main character Paul, who has cerebral palsy, and his encounters with various women throughout the film. (the actor who played Paul is named Stephen C Stewart, has cerebral palsy, wrote the script, and died 1 month after shooting) There weren't any subtitles, as the women kind of hinted at or repeated what Paul was saying. Paul first encounters a woman whom he falls in love with and they see each other often. Eventually, he asks her to marry him. She says no, mainly because he's handicapped. So he asks if he can play with her hair one final time before they part, since at this point we know he has a long-hair fetish. She agrees and they kiss a little, and then abruptly he strangles her to death. After this, he sleeps with the woman's daughter and then strangles her afterwards as well. This pattern continues for the rest of the film, eventually culminating in a much more explicit sex scene with a physically handicapped woman who wants Paul to kill her after they have sex like he has done with the other women.

There were obviously way more genuinely odd details throughout the film, but I'm having a hard time putting them into words. I'd strongly advise anyone to go check it out if it is screening somewhere near you.

PS Telling people "it's odd that this is the 2nd movie I've seen with a sex scene involving someone with cerebral palsy" (Storytelling--Todd Solondz, Selma Blair's bf) isn't the ideal way to meet new people at a film.

das kranke Tier

« Reply #286 on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »

Dude, use white text for spoilers!

Compendious as hell
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #287 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:06:04 PM »

so guys, i got my first netflix movies yesterday, and watched "kicking and screaming" last night. i now understand the line "oh, i've BEEN TO PRAGUE." also, it was really good. kind of depressing, but realistically so. so much of it reminded me of people i knew when i was in college, too. that said, these people's experience of college and life in general was fundamentally different from mine. i kept thinking "man, these dudes are relatable, but they're just so... MAINSTREAM." in the mid-90s when this movie was made, i was so heavily involved in hardcore that i always felt really disconnected from the type of people who walked around wearing khakis and collared shirts, even if they were the same age as me. in hindsight, i probably had way more in common with them than i thought at the time. which this movie kind of pointed out.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #288 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »

As I was walking by the theater uptown last night I noticed that the marquee read:

THIS   FRIDAY
NO    COUNTRY
  SERIOUSLY

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #289 on: Dec 06, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »

i swear, between netflix and dvr, i'm inundated with more movies than i can possibly handle. last night i decided to reduce my dvr backlog, and watched "things to do in denver when you're dead". had heard good things about it being a somewhat hallucinatory crime movie. well, hallucinatory in the sense that the plot hung together very loosely, yeah. but i wasn't really thinking about that when i was watching it, because it was too darkly awesome for me to really care that the plot wasn't as intricate and as nailed down as crime movie plots generally are. also, the ending was a bit of a surprise, but i certainly can't say that it had a cliche crime movie ending. there were a lot of neat voiceover bridges, too, which were done in a manner that's hard to explain but makes total sense in the context of the movie and is kind of awesome. on the whole, i didn't love it, but i definitely enjoyed it, and would recommend it to other crime movie fans.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #290 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »

someday, i swear to god, i will clear up my finances, get a credit card, and join netflix.

Dude, don't--it's like celluloid crack!

Nonsense. I am on the one-at-a-time unlimited plan and it is $8.95 a month, and if you think about it, if you rent two movies a month from Blockbuster, you have already outspent the cost of a membership by like $2. Also, I have a debit card and have never owned a credit card. Nothing has bounced yet.

Ha, I think I'm proven correct

i swear, between netflix and dvr, i'm inundated with more movies than i can possibly handle.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #291 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »

whit, i'm gonna get you obsessed with 90s hardcore and modern emo and then we will be the same person.

except you will have a hot girlfriend and i will not. damn.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #292 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:54:09 PM »

hey, i did download the new fallout boy album because of your persistent proselytizing. but then it turned out to be password-protected, so i gave up on it. maybe i'll try again sometime--could be decent running music.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #293 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »

although in its place i gave that new say anything album a shot, i think on brad's recommendation, and i pretty much couldn't stand it, so maybe not.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #294 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »

That is okay whit, because even I cannot stand Max Bemis on occasion.

Still love that album.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #295 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »

hah, yeah, there's a good distance from fall out boy to say anything. i don't even listen to say anything.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #296 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »

hah, yeah, there's a good distance from fall out boy to say anything.

Yeah, I know, but considering that I've spent the last week-plus listening to mostly Neil Young, all this post-Green Day Gen Y shit kinda sounds the same to my grizzled ears. This is not a statement I care to defend, by the way.

I will give Bemis credit for some occasional sharp lyric-writing, though, and I did lol at the "Bono-lyric-quoting" and his list of addictions.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #297 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:18:33 PM »

Oh yeah, and I watched a movie. I'd never heard of The Hot Rock that I can recall, but it's a 1972 Robert Redford heist movie, so I thought it was worth a look. Not really, it turns out. I'm not really a Redford fan, though I'm not a hater either; here, all he does is coast on movie-star charm, which wins him no points in my book. The movie's based on a Donald Westlake novel, but William Goldman's adaptation never shakes its scriptedness--everything just feels like one machination after another on a narrative diagram. Eh. Shoulda stuck with the Jess Franco.
nonotyet

« Reply #298 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »

I, um, I have the fourth season of The Wire in my Netflix now, but there is one thing ahead of it, and that is The Nanny Diaries

everyone is now permitted to not take anything I ever say again seriously ever. The end!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #299 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »

see, whit, i'm lucky in that i've been so under-educated in the realm of movies that i can spend the next several years just watching movies that are universally regarded as good to amazing without ever having to take the chance on unknown shit that may or may not be worth my time. so that's one thing i'm lucky about with regard to netflix.

on the other hand, in the course of becoming educated, i probably will watch way too many movies in way too short an amount of time.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Tales from Cinematic Motions
Jump to: