Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 04:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658106 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Tales from Cinematic Motions  (Read 45482 times)
G.C.R

« Reply #450 on: Dec 18, 2007, 05:04:32 AM »

I was thinking of seeing Juno and then I read this:

Unlike the decision in Knocked Up, which is portrayed as a personal choice with little elaboration, Juno’s about-face on abortion is framed explicitly as a moral choice. Her encounter with the pro-life protester is validated when, explaining her decision to have the baby to her friend, Juno says that the fetus already has fingernails. The film tries to deflate this notion, stressing the creepiness of the waiting room and playing up the protestor’s lameness. But one can’t ignore what’s shown: a pro-lifer telling a pregnant teenager that her fetus is a life, that rather than abort she should carry it to term and give it up for adoption, and the teen, after some thought, doing exactly that. It’s no wonder the movie has been well-received on pro-life blogs and chat boards.

and

Cody, in an interview with the Guardian, stressed her own pro-choice views and said of the abortion clinic scene, “I didn't want it to seem as if she left because she suddenly had some moral epiphany. It was more that she left for really human, teenage reasons. She's freaked out.” To be clear, what matters here isn’t whether Cody is pro-life or pro-choice. And obviously, this is not about the morality of Juno keeping her baby (the movie wouldn’t exist otherwise). What matters is how Cody frames that decision—and whether she understands the link between text and subtext. In her defense of the scene, she inadvertently points up what’s fundamentally wrong about Juno and the culture of quirk. Playing everything for effect, Cody and Reitman excuse themselves from addressing—or even thinking about—knottier issues of meaning and politics. Play everything for laughs, make sure it’s weird but not too weird, and send the audience home on a reassuring high.

and I was all naw maybe later, life is too short

how did dana stevens not mention that shit???

i give up on this movie

I dont know where you got teh quotes from, but BITCH magazine did a really good article aboput Juno and Knocked Up.

Also, I watched Terror at the Opera today and its not Argento's best, but nicely surreal and ace looking (tracking shots galore!) Veers in to making no sense, but kept me interested enough, and I know its wrong but the sexual sadism was interesting to me... like it could have been played for prurience a lot more, but wasnt.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
diesel_powered

« Reply #451 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »

So I consumed a not insignificant amount of weed last night and re-watched Gregg Araki's Smiley Face. I feel that my initial reaction to it may have been a bit harsh, largely due to the fact that this is a movie that just isn't funny without a rather large amount of weed. Is that an indictment of its quality? Probably. But the fact remains that it's definitely up there with most of your pot movies in terms of hilarity, it's just not that funny straight.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #452 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »

so what you're saying is that it's not as good as redman and method man's movie "how high"?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #453 on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »

So I consumed a not insignificant amount of weed last night and re-watched Gregg Araki's Smiley Face. I feel that my initial reaction to it may have been a bit harsh, largely due to the fact that this is a movie that just isn't funny without a rather large amount of weed. Is that an indictment of its quality? Probably. But the fact remains that it's definitely up there with most of your pot movies in terms of hilarity, it's just not that funny straight.

If a pot movie isn't funny without pot, it isn't funny.

And actually I find that I'm actually more critical of movies when I'm stoned; I think it's more likely I'd enjoy Cheech and Chong sober than high.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
SPACERACE

« Reply #454 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »

i just watched the trailer and it seems like just following a stoned person around for a day, which i do pretty often
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007, 01:24:54 PM by SPACERACE » Logged

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
martin_van_buren

« Reply #455 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:17:20 PM »

so what you're saying is that it's not as good as redman and method man's movie "how high"?

How could I fail women's studies? I LOVE bitches!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #456 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

seriously, that movie is AWESOME.

Ah_Pook

« Reply #457 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:57:57 PM »

oh yea the cloverfield trailer was before i am legend also. ive been really excited about that movie for a while, but actually seeing the style up on the big screen kind of gave me a headache. i dont know if it will for for an entire movie, for me. still though, the trailer was sweet aside from that. definitely still looking forward to it.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
elpollodiablo

« Reply #458 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:12:53 AM »

I just saw Southland Tales.

I don't think I'm capable of saying much more than that right now. Seriously. Wow. Just... wow.

think 'on the road.'
Lindsay With An A

« Reply #459 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:16:24 AM »

Oh man can we please slow down the hating on Diablo Cody/Jason Reitman train for a moment so I can hop on. Thank you. I saw Juno a few months ago and despised it. But I could tell everybody in the theater was eating that shit up, which made it ten times worse. If you think the hype is bad now, just wait until Cody gets the Oscar nod, because we all know it's coming. UGHHH.

Mel Gibson spelled backwards.
jebreject

« Reply #460 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:47:06 AM »

but michael cera

C of heartbreak

« Reply #461 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:53:05 AM »

This kicked off an argument with my girlfriend about whether weed movies are a genre.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
jebreject

« Reply #462 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:55:12 AM »

but what about michael cera

C of heartbreak

« Reply #463 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:57:26 AM »

michael cera is definitely a genre

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
maggiego

« Reply #464 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:05:10 AM »

I finally saw Once and while I liked some things about it, I am feeling pretty cuted out by it. Cynicism, ahoy!

Hi, I see you're really good at Centipede.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #465 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:58:40 AM »

michael cera spans the genres- a jazz maverick

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
milesofsparks

« Reply #466 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:16:05 AM »

I don't think I'm capable of saying much more than that right now. Seriously. Wow. Just... wow.

ha--that was pretty much my reaction.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
andronicus

« Reply #467 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »

Jeb I am with you

what hannah posted is sort of making me puke

but MICHAEL CERA! he is my boyfriend. I need to see it.

but uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
andronicus

« Reply #468 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

oops that was heather, not richard. i am watching the wire on his computer and now i am posting as him and he will kill me. don't tell anyone, guys.
Greg Nog

« Reply #469 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »

That was my reaction, too.  In fact, I think I posted here that I wasn't even sure if I enjoyed it, let alone whether I thought it was a "good" movie.  The more time passes, though, the more I think the answer to both of those questions is yes.  I dunno, though, I definitely gotta see it again.
hannah

« Reply #470 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:24:33 AM »

Well, it looks like I promised a friend from high school I only recently reconnected with that I'd see Juno with her when I'm in NYC. Oh, Arrested Development cast members!

If it does indeed leave a bad taste I'll stamp it out with City Lights at Film Forum.

Wait. FUCKING BALLS, NEW YORK. Why are you screening Woman on the Beach five days after I leave? Bitches.

Re: Southland Tales. I'm writing up my favorite movies of the year right now. Not sure if it's even "movie" enough to go on the list.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #471 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »

ok, so netflix did that thing that i sometimes hear people complaining about it doing and bypassed the next movie in my queue to send me the two after it. which means i still don't get to see the double feature of "psych-out" and "the trip" that i was waiting for. damn it.

but instead i watched "delicatessen" last night. and you know, i think maybe the fact that i hadn't read anything about it in advance deprived me of some context that the movie expects you to have, because i couldn't fucking figure out what the setting was. it was like some surrealistic cross between the fifties and post-apocalypse. then again, maybe france in the 50s WAS post-apocalyptic. again, merely an issue of context. but i had no problem putting that aside and enjoying the movie on its own merits. and it was fucking weird, no question, but it was also quite awesome. don't really have anything to say other than that. check it out if you haven't.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #472 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »

Re: Southland Tales. I'm writing up my favorite movies of the year right now. Not sure if it's even "movie" enough to go on the list.

huh? isn't it a movie?

Greg Nog

« Reply #473 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »

It's just off the wall, is what it is.  It's like part Donnie Darko fanfic, part TV show, part musical, part oral history by antigovernment survivalists, part modern dance, all sort of jammed into the basic structure of a suspense/action movie.
hannah

« Reply #474 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »

Yeah. It feels both unfinished and overdone.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Tales from Cinematic Motions
Jump to: