Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658296 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television  (Read 42735 times)
Greg Nog

« Reply #100 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:33:04 PM »

I called the bookstore, and they're setting aside a copy for me.  I didn't want this whole thing to be a repeat of the Scott Pilgrim fiasco.

Oh, speaking of which, I should get over to the comics thread.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #101 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »

yeah. I'm gonna take Glengarry Glen Ross to the mailbox right now to ensure that Futurama gets to me by thursday if all goes well.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #102 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:38:43 PM »

Hey! I just watched that last week. I love Mamet

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #103 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:38:52 PM »

FUCK YOU, ROY
FUTURAMA'S FOR CLOSERS
RoyBiggins

« Reply #104 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »

C'mon, Greg...if you could just give me a couple of decent leads!  I'd bring in so much futurama...I mean, I used to do it!  This is just an unlucky streak.  Do you remember '99?  In 99'  Back then, I had so much futurama I could....

Well, that's as far as I can overextend this one.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Greg Nog

« Reply #105 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:55:55 PM »

Well, that's as far as I can overextend this one.

Hold on, let me try.

REMEMBER '99?

FUCK YOU
, THAT'S MY '99
RoyBiggins

« Reply #106 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »

I guess if I was being literal, Futurama would be the good leads.  That means I've been trying to sell...Family Guy?

hannah

« Reply #107 on: Nov 27, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »

Goodness, I have Homicide coming soon. I couldn't deal with The Shield. Maybe another time.
maggiego

« Reply #108 on: Nov 27, 2007, 04:16:29 PM »

Hannah, I am so jealous that you get to see Homicide (for the first time?). I don't know what it would be like to watch The Wire without Homicide, actually. The last season or two is meh, but holy shit, the rest is so good.

Hi, I see you're really good at Centipede.
hannah

« Reply #109 on: Nov 27, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »

I've never seen Homicide in full, just bits here and there. I usually watched The X-Files on Friday nights and then went to bed. I did watch Andre Braugher's next TV series, though, Gideon's Crossing, because my dad loves him.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #110 on: Nov 27, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »

i saw maybe two or three episodes of homicide back when it was on. i fully plan on adding it to my netflix queue the second i get a netflix account. which will be later in the week, whenever my check card shows up.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #111 on: Nov 27, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »

Man oh man, I am excited to get Bender's Big Score this evening.

should be here tomorrow or the next day, i think. i was sad that amazon didn't do their guaranteed-day-it-comes-out-delivery for this one like they did harry potter

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #112 on: Nov 27, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »

http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2007/11/26/20071126_175753_flash9.htm

Hillary Clinton is a fan of HGTV makeover shows, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol, and Dancing with the Stars, but her all-time TV favorite is The Ed Sullivan Show.

Barack Obama tells TV Guide that his favorite TV character of all time is "SpongeBob SquarePants, because SpongeBob is the show I watch with my daughters." His favorite TV shows of all time are M*A*S*H and The Wire.

... ....

John McCain lists Prison Break among his favorite TV shows "because as a fellow prisoner, I always dreamed and plotted how I would break out of the Hanoi Hilton," he tells TV Guide.

Mitt Romney tells TV Guide he is a fan of Lost because it has "a very captivating plot, and if you live a busy life, escape is always welcome."

OK, NOW it should be obvious who to vote for.  Get out your checkbook Dave.

Interesting that McCain didn't say 24 even though he, ya know, appeared on it.  Worried about the torture thing?

They don't say Guiliani's but the smart money is on 24.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2007, 05:21:43 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #113 on: Nov 27, 2007, 05:38:56 PM »

I decided to reserve my snarky remark about Mr. Obama. I don't much care for him, but I know many of you do.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2007, 05:44:40 PM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #114 on: Nov 27, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »

I find it hilarious and completely unsurprising that Mitt is a Lost fan, and that Edwards is a Boston Legal fan.  You can just imagine Edwards sitting in his living room pretending he's James Spader.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #115 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »

you totes know that someone on Obama's staff was like "psst, say you like the wire, it'll make you look hip".

I am 100% skeptical of that list.  Every single person on there tactically picked shows that they thought would make them look good.  I'd like to see a more voyeuristic take on their tv watching habits.  They probably all just watch yes dear.

hill picked hgtv to seem feminine, same with GA.  The other ones were to make her an "average jane"

Barack's a family man for spongebob, going after the mommy vote, MASH for the Ben Martins, and Wire for hipness

John Edwards crafted a fred thompson joke, because he's turning into the assassination candidate, and boston legal because he wants to remind everyone that he's one of them law-talkin guys

Denny Kucinich drops Colbert and the Daily Show cause he knows the kids like him, and snl for that good ol' american feel.

john Mccain, the worst politician ever, reminds us that he was a POW for the nine millionth time in the least clever way possible

Mitt Romney likes to fantasize about shirtless matthew fox, contemplating a crew cut and a constant five o clock shadow.  The housewife dreamy candidate picks lost, no way.

Fred Thompson seems like he's copping out by saying sports center (look! I'm manly! but then makes a point to remidn everyone that he's from the south!)  hey I'm from the south! look! hey! you like me!

my $$ for rudy is on 24 as well, and I bet he says something lame like cspan too

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Greg Nog

« Reply #116 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »

I am 100% skeptical of that list.  Every single person on there tactically picked shows that they thought would make them look good.

Freddy, I hope you're not implying that the candidates are actually trying to cultivate specific images in the media.  That seems a little cynical, don't you think?

A couple years back, I read this article, and enjoyed all the book-choosin's I learned about.
girl

« Reply #117 on: Nov 27, 2007, 11:07:01 PM »

i saw maybe two or three episodes of homicide back when it was on. i fully plan on adding it to my netflix queue the second i get a netflix account. which will be later in the week, whenever my check card shows up.

Add me as a Netflix friend!  Cool

this is a story and you're not in it
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #118 on: Nov 27, 2007, 11:44:47 PM »

haha don't worry, i'll either start a thread or briefly hijack one.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #119 on: Nov 27, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »

add me too!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
DCDave

« Reply #120 on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »

In Freddy's world Thompson is good and McCain is bad.

I do not want to live in Freddy's World.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #121 on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:16:55 AM »

When Dave's right he's right.

lastclearchance

« Reply #122 on: Nov 28, 2007, 01:03:28 AM »

supposedly official dates for the wire season 5: hbo jan 6, on demand dec 31, on the internet shortly after obvs

ahhhhhhh i can't wait

(i almost posted this in the happy thread)

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Nickosaurus

« Reply #123 on: Nov 28, 2007, 01:59:51 AM »

I love 30 rock. I love that in spite of it's massive product placement, it manages to make fun of it's massive product placement. I love that it's writer and feminist centric, and I love the three main leads.

This must be where pies go when they die
dieblucasdie

« Reply #124 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »

you totes know that someone on Obama's staff was like "psst, say you like the wire, it'll make you look hip".

I am 100% skeptical of that list.  Every single person on there tactically picked shows that they thought would make them look good.  I'd like to see a more voyeuristic take on their tv watching habits.  They probably all just watch yes dear.

hill picked hgtv to seem feminine, same with GA.  The other ones were to make her an "average jane"

Barack's a family man for spongebob, going after the mommy vote, MASH for the Ben Martins, and Wire for hipness

John Edwards crafted a fred thompson joke, because he's turning into the assassination candidate, and boston legal because he wants to remind everyone that he's one of them law-talkin guys

Denny Kucinich drops Colbert and the Daily Show cause he knows the kids like him, and snl for that good ol' american feel. 

john Mccain, the worst politician ever, reminds us that he was a POW for the nine millionth time in the least clever way possible

Mitt Romney likes to fantasize about shirtless matthew fox, contemplating a crew cut and a constant five o clock shadow.  The housewife dreamy candidate picks lost, no way.

Fred Thompson seems like he's copping out by saying sports center (look! I'm manly! but then makes a point to remidn everyone that he's from the south!)  hey I'm from the south! look! hey! you like me!

my $$ for rudy is on 24 as well, and I bet he says something lame like cspan too

See, I'm as cynical as the next person about image-overcrafting, but I thought these all completely completely fit.  Mitt is exactly the sort of "Sci-fi nerd pretending to be a cool kid" who would love Lost.  John Edwards has a lame sense of humor in the same way Boston Legal does, and McCain *would* be all about the valorized homoeroticism of Prison Break.  And Clinton is a boring person with a tiny bit of taste so she watches Grey's Anatomy (instead of DH or ABC sitcoms). 

And lolz at accusing Kucinich of image-crafting.  Whatever one might think of the man, he's obviously not in it for the same reasons as other candidates.  I mean, if he were worried about his "image" he wouldn't say anything he ever says.

And I don't know if enough people actually watch "The Wire" for it to help Obama look "hip."  Its primary audiences are nerds and urban blacks (two demos he has sewn up btw).  Since Obama's a nerd AND an urban black, it makes sense.

As for Thompson, I *completely* believe that the only TV he ever watches is Sportscenter.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 09:15:19 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television
Jump to: