Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 23, 2014, 03:11:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658127 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television  (Read 42337 times)
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #125 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »

I still think its complete image crafting.  I would like to see some more of these though.

Who says that McCain sucking at being a politician is a bad thing?
I was more pointing out, that if it was in fact image crafting, McCain's was the least creative and not even remotely subtle. 

"Ok, Mr. McCain, what would you say is your favorite television show"
"I WAS A PRISONER OF WAAAAAR! HAAAAANNNNOI HOOOTEL"
"Uh, oh oh ok, Mr. McCain, thank you"

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #126 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:47:50 AM »

Slate hilariously called the third-tier candidates to ask them:

Mike Gravel likes the History Channel and Turner Movie Classics, according to a spokesman. Although Gravel, he says, “doesn’t watch a lot of TV.”

Ron Paul, according to spokesman Jesse Benton, “really only watches the news.”

Tom Tancredo watches “nothing in particular. He really likes the History Channel, though,” says spokesman Alan Moore.

“I’ve never seen Duncan [Hunter] watch TV,” says a volunteer who works in the California congressman’s office.

lol @ cranky old guys

also, yes, by all means, GOP, don't nominate McCain.  We'd love those moderate votes, thanks.

edit:  Also from now on I'm going to be picturing Alan Moore working for Tom Tancredo.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 09:55:00 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #127 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:02:36 AM »

Alan Moore, was probably holding tancredo's head with his palm while on the phone with slate as tancredo punched the air under his arms yelling incoherently about illegal immigration.

Have you ever caught a speech by that guy?
answer to national security? secure the border
answer to economic crises? deport illegal immigrants
answer to lack of health care? deport illegal immigrants. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Greg Nog

« Reply #128 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »

Wow, so the new Futurama movie was fairly bad.  I would be a lot more pissed about buying the DVD, except I was totally amused by Everybody Loves Hypnotoad.  I watched most of that last night while I was working on a sculpture; I'll probably finish watching the episode this evening.  I can't wait to see what happens to Hypnotoad!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #129 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »

Psst... Hey Greg: the last two seasons of Futurama were fairly bad.

I'm beginning to really, really like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's unlike any other sitcom I've ever seen.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #130 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »

Psst... Hey Greg: the last two seasons of Futurama were fairly bad.

Yeah, I don't actually own either of them.  They had their moments, but at the tail end of Season 2, I think it started to drop in quality quite a bit.  It's a shame, 'cause I was hoping the movie would be a return to the glory of the late Season One / Early Season Two episodes.
jebreject

« Reply #131 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:49:09 PM »

Um, seasons three and four are actually my favourites. You guys are clearly insane.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Nickosaurus

« Reply #132 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:54:32 AM »

Yeah, that's when they introduce Hedonism-bot, who has got to have one of the highest appearances:funny ratios in the show.

This must be where pies go when they die
jebreject

« Reply #133 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »

I have been seeing a number of bad reviews for the movie, though. El Josho saw it, what did he think?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #134 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »

So we watched the FNL pilot last night. It had all of the problems one expects in a pilot: clumsy exposition, overdrawn characters, an inability to raise the stakes high enough to make you care. But it also had many things that are not necessarily endemic in pilots: the offensive hamminess of the token black character (ala Denzel/Cuba/the 21st Sambo), the many moments when the show's reach exceeded its grasp and it attempted the kind of introspection and breathy poignancy that many shows don't earn after an entire season (much less one episode), and gallons and gallons of treacle.
Still: it's well acted and it's shot in that tremulous well lit way that's meant to make us forget we're watching television. I will probably watch another episode.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #135 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »

Yeah, I love the pilot in retrospect, but I wasn't entirely sold until 3 or 4 episodes.  When all was said and done, I think it had the best season of any non-Wire show last year.  I had many of the same reservations (Smash, and the sports cliches especially).  Smash gets better as the character develops (the show actually *agrees* with you on the Sambo point, and shows the ways in which Smash has to put on an act to sell himself).  But the heart of the show becomes a)  Coach & Tami's marriage, which is maybe the closest thing to a real relationship I've seen depicted on TV, and b) Matt Saracen.

But there are some teen-soapy parts coming up that I'm not sure you'll like.

nonotyet

« Reply #136 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:42:54 AM »

Matt Saracen.

MATT SARACEN
elpollodiablo

« Reply #137 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »

Also I think it's kind of hard to dramatize a football game. I mean for one thing it must be EXTREMELY difficult staging/filming those scenes in such a way that make it look authentically spontaneous. And although the entire first episode was devoted to detailing how everyone in town had such high expectations for this year's team, when the game was actually on and the announcers were talking about how important it was, I was thinking... the first game of the season? You can lose that one, presumably. I mean, if you're going to lose one game all season, that'd be the one.

But, like I said: the production values are really high and it is pretty compelling. We'll see.

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #138 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:48:09 AM »

You can't lose a game of the season if you are the Dylan Panthers.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #139 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »

Well, whatever. I realize that is what the show is trying to get at, but it failed in the pilot because it was a pilot. You're not invested enough in the team/characters/Texas football "culture" at that point to really care if they lose one game. At least I wasn't.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #140 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:11:36 PM »

yeah, well, texas high school football is like college football in that there are so many teams competing for the championship that it's almost certain that at the end of the year the championship game will be between two undefeated teams. i realize that that didn't happen in college football this year and therefore what i'm saying must seem a bit suspect, but the fact that it didn't happen in college ball this year is pretty goddamn unusual. generally, if you have a team that is considered competitive for a top spot in college football or in texas high school football, you CANNOT LOSE A GAME. not a single one.

i guess this is one of those things that's seen as football 101, but what is easy to forget when you're more like a football graduate student is that some people don't even know football 101 (see nny's post earlier today about needing the line of scrimmage explained to her half a dozen times).

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #141 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »

Or if you're a football fan used to the NFL where you can be .500 and still make the playoffs

elpollodiablo

« Reply #142 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:25:49 PM »

Yeah I sort of detest college ball and never watched high school games

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #143 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:31:59 PM »

Or if you're a football fan used to the NFL where you can be .500 and still make the playoffs

true. there's something to be said for a league containing 32 teams instead of a hundred million billion.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
slow west vultures

« Reply #144 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »

jesus people, tv shows have pretty much ground to a halt and there's still 4 pages of this thread that i haven't read since last time.

has anybody pointed out how the Tonight Show was showing reruns from the early 90s this past week.  i was flipping through the channels on monday night, and got to see a much younger less-confident looking Jay Leno wrapping up his monologue in front of this big purple curtain that looked like a holdover from the johnny carson era.  in fact the show was from the summer of 92 - it featured tom hanks promoting A League of Their Own - so it must have been briefly after johnny carson retired.  the whole show had a different feel to it than it does now.  a lot less l.a., a little more geeky, branford marsalis as the band leader bantering with Jay.  it was an amusing little peek back through the time warp.  i kept hoping they would bring up as many forgotten 90s referencs as possible, but most of the humor was about michael jackson and the clintons so . . . i guess some things never change. 

also i saw this in the paper today

NBC's Last Call With Carson Daly is about to become the first late-night talk show to defy the writers strike and resume production.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/1129writersstrike1129.html

if anything i can only hope this will mean an upgrade in that shows comedy.  it kind of reminds me of that simpsons episode where krusty desperately tries to start up a television show in some janitors closet after sideshow bob has forced tv off the air.

would we really want to live in a world where Last Call with Carson Daly is the only late night show on the air?  i think the survivors would envy the dead . . .

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
lastclearchance

« Reply #145 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:59:41 PM »

NBC's Last Call With Carson Daly is about to become the first late-night talk show to defy the writers strike and resume production.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/1129writersstrike1129.html

if anything i can only hope this will mean an upgrade in that shows comedy.  it kind of reminds me of that simpsons episode where krusty desperately tries to start up a television show in some janitors closet after sideshow bob has forced tv off the air.

The Smoking Gun says he supposedly set up a "hotline" for his friends and family to call to leave him messages of material about not having material since his writers are on strike.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/1127073carson1.html

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Greg Nog

« Reply #146 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »

FUCK CARSON DALY AND EVERYTHING HE STANDS FOR
dieblucasdie

« Reply #147 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »

jesus people, tv shows have pretty much ground to a halt and there's still 4 pages of this thread that i haven't read since last time.

has anybody pointed out how the Tonight Show was showing reruns from the early 90s this past week.  i was flipping through the channels on monday night, and got to see a much younger less-confident looking Jay Leno wrapping up his monologue in front of this big purple curtain that looked like a holdover from the johnny carson era.  in fact the show was from the summer of 92 - it featured tom hanks promoting A League of Their Own - so it must have been briefly after johnny carson retired.  the whole show had a different feel to it than it does now.  a lot less l.a., a little more geeky, branford marsalis as the band leader bantering with Jay.  it was an amusing little peek back through the time warp.  i kept hoping they would bring up as many forgotten 90s referencs as possible, but most of the humor was about michael jackson and the clintons so . . . i guess some things never change. 

also i saw this in the paper today

would we really want to live in a world where Last Call with Carson Daly is the only late night show on the air?  i think the survivors would envy the dead . . .

LET'S GET BIZZAY

slow west vultures

« Reply #148 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:00:19 PM »

umm, you'll have to explain why you posted a picture of eisenhower. 

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #149 on: Nov 29, 2007, 02:06:38 PM »

The featured players on Krusty's desert emergency broadcast show are, of course, "Mr. Stingy," a scorpion held with a pair of tongs, and a portrait of former President Eisenhower, who uses the above catchphrase.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television
Jump to: