Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 24, 2014, 12:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658031 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 57 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television  (Read 42131 times)
hannah

« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »

I love the way people act like Jim Belushi is sullying his family name. Usually it's the guy that dies mid-life from a drug overdose that people are ashamed of.

Not sullying. Exploiting. How far would he have gotten without his brother?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »

Ah, c'mon. If that's the case we'd have to take back the fame of nearly everyone in the Coppola family.

Which, really, ain't that bad an idea.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »

the dead guy had talent, though.

also, i hate that the lost people scabbed, but i'm not gonna stop watching their show, just like i didn't burn all my beck albums when i found out he was a scientologist.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
hannah

« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »

Ah, c'mon. If that's the case we'd have to take back the fame of nearly everyone in the Coppola family.

Which, really, ain't that bad an idea.

Hell, take it from Francis Ford himself, post-1979.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:58:34 AM »

The showrunners at CBS got slapped with lawsuits and didn't go back to work.  The showrunners at Fox got suspended and didn't go back to work.  Leno and Conan were told their entire production staffs would be fired if they didn't come back, and they still didn't go back to work.  The poor schlub writers at "Days of Our Lives" were told they could claim they were too poor not work and go back without penalty (plus, those poor bastards ain't never gettin' any DVD residuals anyhow), and they still didn't go back to work.

Lost's showrunner went back to work because the "show demanded it creatively."  Fuck him.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »

I tend to agree. But who could forget Tucker: The Man and His Dream?

Also after looking at his wp article, it seems that he hasn't directed a film in 10 years. Though he's got a new one coming out next month.

xpost with blucas

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:00:49 PM »

The showrunners at CBS got slapped with lawsuits and didn't go back to work.  The showrunners at Fox got suspended and didn't go back to work.  Leno and Conan were told their entire production staffs would be fired if they didn't come back, and they still didn't go back to work.  The poor schlub writers at "Days of Our Lives" were told they could claim they were too poor not work and go back without penalty (plus, those poor bastards ain't never gettin' any DVD residuals anyhow), and they still didn't go back to work.

Lost's showrunner went back to work because the "show demanded it creatively."  Fuck him.

Yeah. Damn. And fuck Leno and Conan.

Like that's anything new tho, really

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »

Leno and Conan will probably go back to work eventually (if the strike continues), they just don't want to lose face and will wait until some douchebag (AKA Jimmy Kimmel) goes back to work first.  They might also do a "guest-host" thing where random people host their shows so the production staff can keep their jobs.  Since no one's gonna want to host a struck show though, it'll be an hilarious parade of washed-up Hollywood types.  I kinda hope it happens. 

Letterman, though, is being awesome.  Since he owns his production company, he's gonna pay his entire production staff through the end of the year even though they aren't working.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:20:49 PM »

But hey hey looks like they might have struck a deal and the writers might be back before Christmas.  That would be awesome.  I was sure this was going to last until SAG's contract was up.

diesel_powered

« Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »

You probably don't, because Showtime is fucking expensive.

$11 a month times 12 months is $132 a year (not including tax). With average HBO seasons going for around $50, that means I'd have to buy three seasons per year.

Where your game at, Dave?

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
mountmccabe

« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »

Also what did you like about Razor, jeb?

I probably need to rewatch it before I can really say much of anything. My thoughts upon first viewing are here

Oh, huh.  I didn't even realize that they had already showed it.  Thanks.

You know a pancake?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2007, 01:55:09 PM »

The more I think about "Razor" the more I like it.  Except for the super-lame The Adventures of Young Adama stuff, obvs. 

nonotyet

« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »

Notes From Continuing To Watch My So-Called Life:

I watched the Very Special Christmas Episode last night, the one where Juliana Hatfield plays an angel (Juliana Hatfield: "Go ahead, ask me." Angela's mom: "How did you die?" me: ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS) and while it is among the stupidest things I have ever seen, I cried like a baby. I think this is because Wilson Cruz is very, very, very good.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2007, 03:18:48 PM »

ricky is the best character on the show, bar none. brian is a close second. the scenes in later episodes after ricky and brian had become friends underneath everyone's radar and would sometimes run into each other and have these frantic "wtf is going on with everyone we hang out with?" conversations always made me so happy.

ellaguru

« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2007, 03:34:54 PM »

Yeah, MSCL was not afraid to go to the silly place. But they were able to hit Perfect Moments better than just about anybody. Witness: Rayanne, after autitioning for the school play and having a split second of joy at getting the part she wanted, looks excitedly around for someone to share with, and then her face crashes as she realizes she has no one to share with, because all her friends hate her because she's a jerk. Gets me every time.

I have upgraded my MSCL box, and the old, extras-free version is going in one of my sisters' stockings for Christmas. I hope nobody notices the suspicious lack of shrinkwrap.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
DCDave

« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »

You probably don't, because Showtime is fucking expensive.

$11 a month times 12 months is $132 a year (not including tax). With average HBO seasons going for around $50, that means I'd have to buy three seasons per year.

Where your game at, Dave?

The average Showtime season goes for dramatically less than the average HBO season.  You could buy Dexter and Weeds for $54/yr

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2007, 06:07:19 PM »

Thought blucas might appreciate this:

Perfectly Marketed TV Show Somehow Fails
---
NEW YORK—Perplexed executives at NBC announced Monday that the network has canceled the new series City Buds, after the half-hour sitcom garnered abysmal ratings despite a flawlessly executed $250 million marketing strategy.
Enlarge Image

Even with smart, nuanced, consistently high-quality billboards, the sitcom only lasted four episodes.

According to NBC's marketing department, the series premier of City Buds, a show about two male friends who reside in Chicago, performed exceptionally well during the eight minutes preceding its first commercial break. But then, for some unknown reason, the ratings plummeted. The incomparably hyped show never recovered in the following weeks, and the decision was made to scrap City Buds after just four episodes.

"We can't for the life of us figure out what went wrong," NBC Universal vice president of marketing Maureen Murphy said. "We had the leading creatives in the business working on City Buds. The best copywriters, top-notch PR guys, not to mention a world-class graphic design team. From the moment we started branding the show, we did everything perfectly."

"Maybe we didn't make it clear enough to viewers that this was a new comedy from the producers of How I Met Your Mother," Murphy added. "But we ran that over and over in all of our TV spots. I just don't know."

City Buds, which, in addition to the two incompatible roommates, featured a comical dog and a grumpy Latino landlord, was the subject of the most intensive advertising campaign in NBC's history. Beyond the typical Internet, billboard, magazine, newspaper, television, and radio ads, the network also employed cutting-edge guerrilla marketing techniques, including a sticker campaign, personal canvassing, and 14,000 urinal communicators installed in public restrooms across the U.S. that, when activated by a stream of urine, informed patrons of the date and time City Buds was scheduled to air in their market.

"There was something for every demographic in this campaign," senior brand manager Earl Kinney said. "I don't understand why, at the very least, Caucasian males in the 12 to 24 set didn't tune in. How could they not identify with these kinds of promotional devices?"
Enlarge Image

Members of NBC's marketing department struggle to figure out where they could have possibly gone wrong.

Kinney added that it was "inconceivable" that a television program supported by 1.25 million promotional coffee-cup sleeves could perform so poorly.

Most disappointing to NBC executives was a weeklong interactive "roadblock" the network purchased on the home page of the popular social-networking website MySpace. The full-screen pop-up ad described the series as "Just Shoot Me on a half-caff cappuccino—to go!"

Experts say that, while there have been  several documented cases in the past of television programs underperforming in the face of brilliant marketing campaigns, a direct cause for the bizarre phenomenon has not yet been determined.

"We may never know what the 'X-factor' is that can turn an expertly marketed show into a complete failure," said Richard Bertrand, an analyst at the ACNielsen market research firm. "Who can say why the masterfully promoted Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, for example, was canceled after just six episodes, while a show such as The Office, which quietly debuted in an undesirable time  slot, is now one of the most successful shows on network television?"

Due to the failure of City Buds, NBC said it will redouble its marketing efforts for the show's midseason replacement, Nerds!, a sitcom from the creators of City Buds starring David Hyde Pierce.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »

Heh.  That actually makes me kind of sad, because it's so freakin' true.  We live in a world that saw six seasons of "Yes, Dear," after all.

jebreject

« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »

Oh, huh.  I didn't even realize that they had already showed it.  Thanks.

D/L'd that shit, bro.

The more I think about "Razor" the more I like it.  Except for the super-lame The Adventures of Young Adama stuff, obvs. 

qft

I still need to re-watch it though

Blucas come over

I'll buy some Old Style

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #44 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:20:01 PM »

Heh.  That actually makes me kind of sad, because it's so freakin' true.  We live in a world that saw six seasons of "Yes, Dear," after all.

i had never heard of "yes dear" until i read this post. so i went to imdb to look it up, see if it would ring any bells. no dice. but i DID find a user comment that will probably amuse you:

Classic Type-A vs. Type-B conflict, 19 July 2003

Author: budikavlan from Irving, TX

I honestly can't figure out why the critics are not only disparaging of this show, but actually aggressively hostile toward it. I would be the last person to claim "Yes, Dear" is a classic of television comedy, but it is a consistently funny show, with a very simple, archetypal conflict. I get regular laughs from "Yes, Dear," regularly trashed by critics, while I've never laughed a single time at "Everybody Loves Raymond," which critics slavishly promote. YD is about a pair of couples, two sisters and their husbands, who live together in Los Angeles. The older sister and her husband are lazy, irresponsible slobs who live in the guest house of the younger sister and her husband, who are fastidious to the point of neurosis. Most of the comedy derives from this dichotomy. The husbands work for a movie studio (another source of laughs), and both couples have children. All three sets of grandparents are played by familiar comedic character actors and show up several times each season. Obviously, personal taste governs what one watches on television (something critics have generally forgotten), but if ever a show has gotten a raw deal from the critics, "Yes, Dear" is the one.

this comment is confusing on multiple levels. this show at least sounds lame as hell, so i don't know what crack this guy is smoking, but the best part is that he then bitches about "critically acclaimed" "everybody loves raymond" never making him laugh.

morgan

« Reply #45 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:33:26 PM »

Uh, did no one notice this except me:

Due to the failure of City Buds, NBC said it will redouble its marketing efforts for the show's midseason replacement, Nerds!, a sitcom from the creators of City Buds starring David Hyde Pierce.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who's COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH HIM?
jebreject

« Reply #46 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »

wasn't that article from the onion or something

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
morgan

« Reply #47 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »

Oh.  I'm a little slow sometimes.  That makes me sad.  I wanted that to be real.   Sad  I love David Hyde Pierce so much.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #48 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »

I think it's hilarious that morgan wanted the everything-that's-wrong-with-the-sitcom sitcom to be real.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #49 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:52:55 PM »

The showrunners at CBS got slapped with lawsuits and didn't go back to work.  The showrunners at Fox got suspended and didn't go back to work.  Leno and Conan were told their entire production staffs would be fired if they didn't come back, and they still didn't go back to work.  The poor schlub writers at "Days of Our Lives" were told they could claim they were too poor not work and go back without penalty (plus, those poor bastards ain't never gettin' any DVD residuals anyhow), and they still didn't go back to work.

Lost's showrunner went back to work because the "show demanded it creatively."  Fuck him.

That is fucking horrible. I'm gonna feel dirty watching the show this year.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television
Jump to: