Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 23, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658207 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 55 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: Demented by the fermented (another rhyming thread name: this one's about booze!)  (Read 36977 times)
santaclaustral

« Reply #375 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »

Over the holidays, my parents took me to a fancy pants Indian restaurant (with some not so fancily priced set menu and buffet deals). While we were waiting to be seated, the waiters offered us the drinks menu, which featured a bottle of 1957 whiskey costing 4000 ($8000!).  Shocked

ellaguru

« Reply #376 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »

Over the holidays, my parents took me to a fancy pants Indian restaurant (with some not so fancily priced set menu and buffet deals). While we were waiting to be seated, the waiters offered us the drinks menu, which featured a bottle of 1957 whiskey costing 4000 ($8000!).  Shocked

So...was it good?  Razz

I'm also in the Macallan camp. Especially the 18 year variety, which is, sadly, not in the $40 range and therefore just a dim, but treasured, memory.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
El_Josharino

« Reply #377 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »

They don't have anything that costs $8000 a bottle, but this place is a block from my house:
http://www.dundeedell.com/ltd.html

Their fish and chips are fucking awesome.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
diesel_powered

« Reply #378 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »

TESTIFY!

(We need to have an LPTJ meet up sometime so you me and Augo can try to out-local the contingent from Milwaukee.)

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
DCDave

« Reply #379 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »

Last night I made a simple syrup out of the following ingredients

2.25 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
1 cup lemon/lime juice (4 limes, two lemons)
2 adobo peppers
zest of one lime
Splash of limoncello

Brought it all to a boil
Added 3 sectioned limes once it was boiling and steeped for another few seconds

Removed it from the stove and poured it into an empty bottle

Very citrusy with some back heat. 

Going to mix this weekend with 2.5 oz of tequila, 1.5 oz of creme de cassis, and ginger ale.
Serving over rocks in a highball glass

Wish me luck.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #380 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »

Last night a friend and I drank an entire case of Allagash White at the bar. My head, like my wallet, is hurting this morning. But damn is that some good Belgian-style.

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #381 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »

Last night a friend and I drank an entire case of Allagash White at the bar. My head, like my wallet, is hurting this morning. But damn is that some good Belgian-style.

Yeah it is!  I prefer it to a lot of Belgians.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #382 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »

I'm a sucker for Belgians generally, and this happened to be the only one in the bar. It's pretty low ABV for a Belgian, but the flavor and the crispness/cleanness of the finish... Damn!

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #383 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:33:54 AM »

YES!  The crispness of the finish is exactly the best part.  Did you have it with an orange slice?

elpollodiablo

« Reply #384 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »

I didn't, though I fuckin should have! I love those unfiltered bastards... That nice bit of head you have to swirl the bottle for, and the yeast suspended in the glass you can see when you hold it up to the light. Great stuff.

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #385 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »

I didn't, though I fuckin should have! I love those unfiltered bastards... That nice bit of head you have to swirl the bottle for, and the yeast suspended in the glass you can see when you hold it up to the light. Great stuff.

The orange or the lemon wedge in Allagash is great. They have it on draft at the coffee shop where I do work during the semester.  And get fuuuucked up.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #386 on: Jan 10, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »

If I could afford it, I would drink only Belgians, I sweartagod.

think 'on the road.'
bethany_m

« Reply #387 on: Jan 10, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »

Another Maine brewery, woohoo! That is a good beer. Maine has a lot of good breweries.  Too bad I haven't been drinking lately  Sad

The lesson is that zombie-ism is a choice. So please, respect.
Antero

« Reply #388 on: Jan 11, 2008, 02:23:28 AM »

Okay, so, I want to try to put together something of a bar in my apartment.  I want to have stuff that could be turned into mixed drinks and various other libations for guests.

I have no fucking idea where to start, since the only things I drink regularly are sake and whiskey, both straight.

Help plz?

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #389 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:19:46 AM »

bells two hearted ale is the bestbeerever

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #390 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »

One of em for sure

think 'on the road.'
girl

« Reply #391 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »

Okay, so, I want to try to put together something of a bar in my apartment.  I want to have stuff that could be turned into mixed drinks and various other libations for guests.

I have no fucking idea where to start, since the only things I drink regularly are sake and whiskey, both straight.

Help plz?

I'm fond of gin, so I generally have a bottle of Tanqueray on hand for gin and tonics or gin and ginger ales and a bottle of Hendrick's for martinis (which, in my case, means drinking straight gin out of a martini glass). Scotch, of course. People seem to like vodka based drinks, so it doesn't hurt to have some vodka on hand. Other than that, I usually have a bunch of different beers because I'll buy something that looks interesting, but then find something else interesting before I've finished all six from the previous shopping excursion.

Who was pushing the Lagunitas Brown Shugga? I bought some last night. Not bad. Not quite as dark as I had expected, but not as sweet as I feared it would be. Nice winter beer!

this is a story and you're not in it
DCDave

« Reply #392 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »

bells two hearted ale is the bestbeerever

I have a half mini-keg of that in the backyard of a friend's place and another half mini-keg in a different friend's kitchen.

New Year's was a good time.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #393 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

Who was pushing the Lagunitas Brown Shugga? I bought some last night. Not bad. Not quite as dark as I had expected, but not as sweet as I feared it would be. Nice winter beer!
Who do you think it was? Smile

Antero it was way too late last night for me to handle your question but I have been giving it some thought.  To append to what girl is saying, on the vodka front, it's my opinion that expensive vodka is for suckers.  If someone wants to drink vodka they're probably going to mix it with a lot of OJ or something, so if you're going to provide vodka don't go all out, get something middle-shelf or cheaper.  (There are exceptions.  One of my employers consistently drinks Stoli up with a twist.  Use your judgement)  Get a nice golden rum, a decent one but not way top shelf or anything (not spiced rum, if somebody wants that they will bring it).  Gin is a must, as girl said.  I like to keep a couple of bourbons on hand and a rye whiskey.  Maybe an Irish whiskey.  Nothing Canadian, the hell with them.  Don't know enough about scotch to have it on hand yet (working on that).  Some people would tell you tequila as well.  If you like tequila-based drinks, go for it.

Some kind of pastis, like Absente, or a reasonable facsimile.  I usually have Pernod.  Of course any specialty ingredients for drinks you like, like Pimm's or Campari or similar.  Also, brandy is a good thing to have on hand to kick up any sweet girly drinks.  I used to make Chambord, brandy and club soda for Mindy and she loved it. 

Get some tonic water, club soda, ginger ale, etc., and some garnishes (olives, maraschino cherries, etc).  Always-ALWAYS-have limes on hand.  You want some bitters, at least a bottle of angostura.  I have angostura, orange, and peychaud bitters. 

Get swizzle sticks and cocktail toothpicks.  Get a good collection of glasses--tumblers, highball glasses, martini glasses, etc.  Squeeze bottles for making up simple syrup or pre-juicing limes.  Of course other barware like cocktail shakers, strainers, spoons, jiggers, etc.

Drinking is serious business.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Antero

« Reply #394 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:35:23 PM »

Heart

Off to the liquor store!

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #395 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »

One of em for sure

Man I just had the last bells and then switched to sierra nevada and it was like drinking bud light for real

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
DCDave

« Reply #396 on: Jan 11, 2008, 07:58:08 PM »

Glenlivet 12 year is a fine middle of the road scotch, I think, but that might be top shelf?

Antero

« Reply #397 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:20:16 PM »

It's like $40... I might pick up some of that...

hannah

« Reply #398 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »

I can't drink anymore advice plz
milesofsparks

« Reply #399 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:47:39 PM »

I can't drink anymore advice plz

I know they're not as fantastic, but my friends who have had similar problems to yours can drink organic wine, and sometimes vodka.  for them it's the additives that cause problems.  worth a try.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Demented by the fermented (another rhyming thread name: this one's about booze!)
Jump to: