Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657898 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 47 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread  (Read 66559 times)
howardfinkel

« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:39:14 AM »

Must be repeated--
Die Hard. Every Xmas. Seriously.

And throwing this out there, the scene in Its A Wonderful Life where Jimmy Stewart asked what happened to his Mary is my fav. underrated moment in this film. Just so damn hilarious & depressing.
Clarence: "She's an old maid! Never married!"
My single 28 yr old sister jokingly had another drink.

I watched the last hour of Tyler Perry's Madea's Family Reunion too late on xmas night. Odd film. For those who've seen it, wtf is it as crazy as it seemed?

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #51 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:41:22 AM »

Juno was godawful.

I mean, Ellen Page and Michael Cera are both fucking wonderful in it, but the dialogue sank everything to the bottom of the barrel.  The "Doll Parts" scene made me hate everything in the world.

Anne the Man

« Reply #52 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:20:14 AM »

Hmm. Just watched Jesus Camp. I didn't know they were trying to debunk global warming as a theory. Eww. Becky Fisher is a bitch with a capital BITCH.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Greg Nog

« Reply #53 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:30:28 AM »

So I saw There Will Be Blood last night (which apparently is only playing in one theatre in all of NYC?  wtf?).  It's certainly one of my favorite movies of 2007, quite possibly my favorite.  And easily the most moustache-positive movie I've seen in a very long time.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #54 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:44:18 AM »

I haven't been to the movies in like...probably a year, but I think I might have to hit that this weekend.  I still need to see No Country For Old Men too...

Compendious as hell
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #55 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »

i was under the impression that "There will be blood' was still in limited release, which might explain greg's experience that only one theater in nyc is playing it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:05:49 AM »

Damn it!

Compendious as hell
elpollodiablo

« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »

Goes wide on 1/18

think 'on the road.'
das kranke Tier

« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »

Great...once the semester's started and I probably won't even get the chance...

Compendious as hell
auto-da-fey

« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »

My father wanted to see Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, so my brother and I humored him and went along. It was even worse than I expected--I thought it would at least measure up to an average Will Ferrell movie, but not even. It was painful to sit through, made even worse by the insulting Three Doors Down music video/army recruitment thing they played before it, in which we learned that army dudes get to do exciting things like fire muskets at those damn Tories. At least Ghostface shows up for about five seonds in the movie, providing a mildly refreshing WFT moment.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #60 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »

Judd Apatow: incredibly overrated

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #61 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »

QFT
lastclearchance

« Reply #62 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:58:50 PM »

i'd say more like "stretched too thin"

i mean i was never going to see walk hard because a biopic parody is going to be as boring as a regular biopic, and i know his name carries weight now so anything he produces gets his name all over it, but there's a serious glut.

although I've been thinking lately, was it paul feig that made lindsay such a warm and funny and believable character on freaks and geeks? or is apatow just stuck in a dude-rut?

p.s. what really makes me mad at apatow right now is the sitcom married couple piece he wrote with his wife for the sunday styles. i know they're writing a humor piece in character but still.

also the rewatch value on his movies is much lower than you'd expect.

okay so after all that i guess i agree with you, pollo. and this is totally a backpedal for me because i was all about apatow this summer. but anyway.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #63 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:59:42 PM »

You also have to wonder why John Reilly, just as he's starting to get recognition for being the excellent actor he's always been, would mire himself in that Will Ferrell-style schlock.

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #64 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »

or why nobody, at any point during the making of Walk Hard, stopped to observe that nothing in it was even amusing, much less actually funny. But yeah, Reilly really sold himself short, though I guess it probably paid off a mortgage or two.
lastclearchance

« Reply #65 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:13:45 PM »

You also have to wonder why John Reilly, just as he's starting to get recognition for being the excellent actor he's always been, would mire himself in that Will Ferrell-style schlock.

Agreed, only I'd say his recognition moment was like five years ago, no?
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007, 01:21:37 PM by lastclearchance » Logged

Greg Nog

« Reply #66 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:15:12 PM »

although I've been thinking lately, was it paul feig that made lindsay such a warm and funny and believable character on freaks and geeks? or is apatow just stuck in a dude-rut?

I think Apatow certainly has his moments, but that he's generally not as good as most of his collaborators.  A few years back, I heard something about how Paul Feig was pissed because Apatow basically tried to recycle Freaks and Geeks (which is one of my all-time favorite shows) into Undeclared (which I don't really like at all) without Feig's input.  So yeah, even though I generally like most of what the guy's done, I'm not sure how much actual talent he has, and how much is just him having a knack for latching onto talented people.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #67 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:27:04 PM »

Agreed, only I'd say his recognition moment was like five years ago, no?

I don't think so. I think his really broad recognition has come within the past two years, underscored by his turn as Stanley in that production of Streetcar.

think 'on the road.'
lastclearchance

« Reply #68 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »

I don't think so. I think his really broad recognition has come within the past two years, underscored by his turn as Stanley in that production of Streetcar.

I did not even know that production occurred, so I guess I stand corrected?

G.C.R

« Reply #69 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:31:35 PM »

I dont know if this belongs here or in the music thread, but I got this Temptations Dvd for christmas, and oh man, holy wow. SO GOOD. in so many ways.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Ah_Pook

« Reply #70 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:14:11 PM »

i saw sweeney todd

it looked good, depp and carter were good, sacha baron cohen was funny, it was amusingly gory (they sure as fuck dont spare the arterial spray), and they story was nice.

90% of the music was terrible though. every song was the same, and every one was bad. there were literally 3 songs that worked for me through the entire movie (the one where theyre talking about eating the different people, the beach song, and the song about his daughter where he was killing everyone while he sang). thats a really bad ratio when theyre singing literally in every scene.

it balanced out to being meh shading into decent, but i wouldnt really recommend it. its a shame, because its got style to spare.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
auto-da-fey

« Reply #71 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:12:10 AM »

A quick search shows that it did not get much love here, but I liked American Gangster. I usually hate Ridley Scott, but this time I liked his approach to a genre exercise, archetypes be, well, embraced. Some of the details were nice, too--I especially liked the use of Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street," since I had just dug the DVD of that movie out of my mother's basement and am eager to watch it again.

Not enough Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor

This, though, I wholeheartedly agree with. But it is worth noting that the cast roster runs hella deep and rich--those two are favorites of mine, but so are Clarence Williams III, Roger Guenveur Smith, Ruby Dee, the RZA, Joe Morton, etc. None of them gets as much screen time as I'd like, but their presences all enriched the movie for me.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #72 on: Dec 29, 2007, 01:32:18 AM »

The RZA is one of your favorites? Dude's been in like three movies!

Also, I didn't dislike American Gangster, but it was pretty standard fare. I also hated how DW's performance was great up until the film's last 20 minutes. Throughout the entire movie he's still, reserved, and terrifying. Then the moment he's caught he turns on the ol' Washington charm and it's the same role he's played in every other film ever.

Just watched I Am Legend. I liked it quite a bit!

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #73 on: Dec 29, 2007, 02:38:05 AM »

The RZA is one of your favorites? Dude's been in like three movies!

I think I meant "favorites" in a more expansive sense, but I'd stick by it strictly; the dude made Coffee & Cigarettes. He was also impressive here, and I agree about DW.

Since I have a killer case of insomnia and might as well go for full OCD completism: I watched Blood & Wine a few nights ago, because my brother had it on Netflix and had brought it along. I'd seen it about a decade ago and barely remembered it other than recalling being unimpressed; this time around I appreciated it a bit more, but it still never rises above mediocrity. Jack Nicholson does his usual Jack thing, and Bob Rafelson further fails to improve a resume that ought to have just ended after 1976. The pre-J-Lo Jennifer Lopez is solid, as she often was back then, but really that whole spate of mid-1990s neo-noir movies mostly leave me blank, except for the ones John Dahl made.
Greg Nog

« Reply #74 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:59:25 AM »

I just looked through this list of 2007 movies, and I think my favorites are, in roughly this order:

Southland Tales
There Will Be Blood
Planet Terror
Superbad
Ocean's 13
Hot Fuzz
Ratatouille
I Am Legend
Sunshine
No Country For Old Men
30 Days of Night
Knocked Up
28 Weeks Later
Spiderman 3
Reno 911: Miami
Paprika
The Host
Transformers: The Movie
Die Hard 4
Smokin' Aces
Resident Evil 3

Smokin'Aces and Resident Evil 3 were really neck-and-neck there, but in the end, Smokin' Aces won out because:
A) assassin/hooker Alicia Keys is just slightly hotter than evening-gown Milla Jovovich
and
B) at no point during Resident Evil 3 was there a scene where three brothers went on a shooting spree while Ace of Spades played in the background.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread
Jump to: