Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 30, 2014, 07:19:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657807 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 73 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread  (Read 65105 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #75 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »

You put Sunshine before NCFOM? I don't think it's even gonna make my top ten list.

Which I will post tomorrow, possibly.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #76 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:23:44 AM »

Yeah, I dunno, I liked No Country For Old Men, but I just wasn't all that excited by it; because it followed the book so closely, basically all I was really jazzed about was the gorgeous cinematography and Bardem's intense, self-assured performance.  But the cinematography wasn't as beautiful as McCarthy's prose, and the movie's Chigurh wasn't as powerful a presence as the Chigurh in my mind. 

I think if I hadn't read the book first, the movie probably woulda been up in the top five or so, but there we are.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #77 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »

All that aside, Sunshine sucked a dick!

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #78 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »

I liked the part with the sunshine!
DCDave

« Reply #79 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »

I saw Juno and I liked it.  Take that, suckers.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #80 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »

I love to hate Salon. I've read two of their critics' year-end lists, and they are so ridiculously, awfully contrarian and self satisfied. O'Hehir actually uses NCFOM as an example of what's wrong in independent cinema today (and then cites 'This Is England' as an example of what's right--why? because no one saw it? fucking jackass) and Zacharek kicks off her list with 'I'm Not There', 'Control', and 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'. Also 'Ratatouille', 'Once', and 'Redacted'.

So, thanks, Salon. I look forward to another year of your pitilessly whiny reviews full of back-handed compliments meant to demonstrate that though you may be forced to watch wide release films as part of your job, you are not by any means one of the mouth breathing plebs for which they are made.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #81 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »

Everything I've seen/heard/read about that film makes it sound terrible. A sing along to a Moldy Peaches track? And another one to a Hole song? Precious irony? Life lessons? A prolife parable written by an ex stripper? YAY

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #82 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »

I saw This Is England! It was awesome.

l'era del terzo mondo.
nonotyet

« Reply #83 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »

Everything I've seen/heard/read about that film makes it sound terrible. A sing along to a Moldy Peaches track? And another one to a Hole song? Precious irony? Life lessons? A prolife parable written by an ex stripper? YAY

This is at least the second time I have heard someone call the film pro-life, and I'm curious about what makes you think that.
NB: I haven't seen it. I would like to but my Film In Theaters budget is really practically nonexistent.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #84 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »

apparently the fact that juno goes to an abortion clinic and then decides to bail on it and raise the baby makes the movie pro-life. but then, i'm hearing the same thing about knocked up because the people in that movie decided to keep the baby. it's kind of silly. are we really supposing that every intelligent pro-choice person in america today would decide to abort an unplanned, out-of-wedlock pregnancy? and i mean, would juno and knocked up be stories worth telling if the main characters HAD gotten abortions? (here's a hint: the answer is no.)

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
coldforge

« Reply #85 on: Dec 29, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »

Yes, but when the pro-choice component of a movie is an uptight WASP who shrills, 'Just GET IT TAKEN CARE OF. Your sister got it taken care of, and now she has a real baby!' It's not hard to get a little uneasy.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2007, 02:04:39 PM by coldforge » Logged

l'era del terzo mondo.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #86 on: Dec 29, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

well, i haven't seen juno (have seen knocked up), so i will admit that i'm going by the criticisms i've heard. i hadn't heard about that line, and i can see how it strengthens people's cases. but it is also quite amusing.

and in fact, i can imagine south park using something like that, and i don't think they would mean it as a secret pro-life sentiment. but i really need to see the movie so i can see the line in its proper context before i can comment either way.

coldforge

« Reply #87 on: Dec 29, 2007, 02:05:16 PM »

That line wasn't from Juno. It was from Knocked Up, when Heigl meets with her mom.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Chet

« Reply #88 on: Dec 29, 2007, 02:06:42 PM »

I watched A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints last night. More like A Guide To Watching Kids For Your Mom, am i rite?

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
DCDave

« Reply #89 on: Dec 29, 2007, 03:26:24 PM »

Allison Janney's character in Juno is pretty incredible.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #90 on: Dec 29, 2007, 03:29:15 PM »

That line wasn't from Juno. It was from Knocked Up, when Heigl meets with her mom.

really? fuck, i don't remember that at all.

jess

« Reply #91 on: Dec 29, 2007, 04:08:11 PM »

apparently the fact that juno goes to an abortion clinic and then decides to bail on it and raise the baby makes the movie pro-life. but then, i'm hearing the same thing about knocked up because the people in that movie decided to keep the baby. it's kind of silly. are we really supposing that every intelligent pro-choice person in america today would decide to abort an unplanned, out-of-wedlock pregnancy? and i mean, would juno and knocked up be stories worth telling if the main characters HAD gotten abortions? (here's a hint: the answer is no.)

It's not that the movie is pro-life exactly, but the fact that it shows a pro-life lobbyist at an abortion clinic who is shaming women then succeed at her efforts is kind of sketch and vaguely encouraging of that practice. Something like, "lecture enough women about how their babies have fingernails and they will stop aborting them," and that's really the last message anyone needs out there, even if it's unintentional. Especially given that for many, it's a much more complicated decision than the movie makes it seem, since having a pregnancy is a huge drain and giving a baby up for adoption also a much harder decision for most than it seems to be for the protagonist. I think the movie trivializes all of that, and gives a little more (mis-informed) amo to all people who berate women who chose to abort.

Also, I don't think it's impossible to make a movie about someone who does get an abortion and have it be good. In fact, it might be a hell of a lot more interesting if done well. For that matter, while not exactly the same thing, anyone remember Citizen Ruth, with Laura Dern as a pregnant drug addict who gets caught in the middle of both lobbies? It manages to brilliantly satirize both sides of the issue in ways that I thought were pretty spot on and darkly funny.
maggiego

« Reply #92 on: Dec 29, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »

Well, I am off to see it this afternoon regardless--

Hi, I see you're really good at Centipede.
mountmccabe

« Reply #93 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »

It's not that the movie is pro-life exactly, but the fact that it shows a pro-life lobbyist at an abortion clinic who is shaming women then succeed at her efforts is kind of sketch and vaguely encouraging of that practice. Something like, "lecture enough women about how their babies have fingernails and they will stop aborting them," and that's really the last message anyone needs out there, even if it's unintentional. Especially given that for many, it's a much more complicated decision than the movie makes it seem, since having a pregnancy is a huge drain and giving a baby up for adoption also a much harder decision for most than it seems to be for the protagonist. I think the movie trivializes all of that, and gives a little more (mis-informed) amo to all people who berate women who chose to abort.

Also, I don't think it's impossible to make a movie about someone who does get an abortion and have it be good. In fact, it might be a hell of a lot more interesting if done well. For that matter, while not exactly the same thing, anyone remember Citizen Ruth, with Laura Dern as a pregnant drug addict who gets caught in the middle of both lobbies? It manages to brilliantly satirize both sides of the issue in ways that I thought were pretty spot on and darkly funny.

To start: I have seen Juno, I have not seen Knocked Up so this is all about the former.  I have also not seen Citizen Ruth.

The pro-life lobbyist is a lone kid that Juno knows from school.  She is a pathetic girl alone out there, even if her efforts are one of the reasons Juno ends up deciding against an abortion.  Juno still dismisses the girl's main message, that she shouldn't have an abortion because Jesus doesn't like them.

But this does happen in real life, some women and girls are swayed by being surprised by facts such as the fact that a fetus grows fingernails relatively early in development.  Ignoring this doesn't change anything, seeing it dramatized makes me, for one, think that everyone involved would be better off with more information rather than just what fits the side of the person talking.  Yes, tell people that fetuses have fingernails at that point AND ALSO tell them that they don't have a cerebral cortex and can't think or feel.

I agree that the difficulty of the pregnancy and the trouble of giving up a child for adoption are not what they could be but that's holding the movie to a very high standard.  And I also agree that an interesting movie could be made about going through with an abortion... but this film is nothing like that and doesn't try to be.

I also, though, agree with Andrew; there was no tension when she went into the abortion clinic because you knew that she was not going to have an abortion.  I am glad that the option was discussed and considered rather than ignored completely or dismissed out of hand.  The fact that there are pro-life lobbyists and that sometimes a small portion of their message gets through should also not be ignored completely or dismissed out of hand.

I am not saying that I loved the abortion clinic scenes in Juno but that it didn't really offend me even though I am pro-choice.

You know a pancake?
mountmccabe

« Reply #94 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:37:27 PM »

Also I will follow suit with Greg and rank all the 2007 films I've seen since there are only 16

1. No Country for Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Control
4. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
5. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
6. Sunshine
7. I'm Not There
8. The Darjeeling Limited
9. Zodiac
10. Juno
11. Sweeney Todd
12. The Simpsons Movie
13. Hot Fuzz
14. The Kite Runner
15. The Bourne Ultimatum
16. Transformers

I will probably go see Walk Hard or Across the Universe tonight though so I guess I'll have to update.  I also still want to see The Savages, Southland Tales, Grindhouse and Eastern Promises.

You know a pancake?
hannah

« Reply #95 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »

I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet. Until then, my list in order from favorite to slightly less favorite, or an approximation, with some 2005s and 2006s for good measure:

Our Daily Bread
Colossal Youth
Syndromes and a Century
Offside
Eastern Promises
Zodiac
Rescue Dawn

Movies I disliked were American Gangster (sorry, Whit) and Persepolis. And Death of Mr. Lazarescu would be up in my "best of list," too, but I could've seen it in 2006; Killer of Sheep would be there but I didn't like when people ranked Army of Shadows last year.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2007, 09:00:59 PM by hannah » Logged
jess

« Reply #96 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »

I am not saying that I loved the abortion clinic scenes in Juno but that it didn't really offend me even though I am pro-choice.

It really didn't offend me horribly either, but it's more that I didn't like it all the same, you know? It could definitely have been a lot worse. I suspect a lot of what ended up annoying me about it was an effect of the film's style as much as anything, which, while cute/witty at times, to me comes off as kind of trite when it comes to emotional issues, and accordingly about this.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #97 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:00:35 PM »

Agreed with all of the above, but am I correct in remembering that Laura Dern doesn't actually get the abortion in CR? I have a terrible memory for film endings, and any response to this might need to use spoiler-whiting, but IIRC the film somewhat skirts the matter.
hannah

« Reply #98 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:01:41 PM »

Agreed with all of the above, but am I correct in remembering that Laura Dern doesn't actually get the abortion in CR? I have a terrible memory for film endings, and any response to this might need to use spoiler-whiting, but IIRC the film somewhat skirts the matter.

she has a miscarriage (presumably from paint-huffing)
auto-da-fey

« Reply #99 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:04:51 PM »

yeah, that's what I thought. While it doesn't at all discredit Jess' point, I think it's an important qualification.

Also, I'm not exaggerating about my absolute inability to remember movie endings. It's a little disconcerting, but also sometimes a plus, because I can rewatch things and still relive the tension/mystery/uncertainty/etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread
Jump to: