Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 09:30:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 35 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread  (Read 73226 times)
Ah_Pook

« Reply #200 on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:15:23 AM »

i went to rent dragon wars: d-war, but it was gone so i rented resident evil 3 instead. it started out promising with the ditch full of dead jovovichs and the retarded attemted rape/zombie dog massacre bit, but then proceeded to be one of the worst movies ive seen in recent times. whoevers idea the zombie bird attack was should never ever work in hollywood again.

hopefully i can track down a copy of D-WAR (!!!) tomorrow, i have big hopes for it.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
jebreject

« Reply #201 on: Jan 12, 2008, 11:25:23 AM »

I watched TMNT the night before last.

It was not good. I knew it wouldn't be very good, but you know how it is, Ninja Turtles! The CG was pretty good and there were some funny bits but the story was imbecile--like they took all the plotlines that they wouldn't even use for the cartoon and used those.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
morgan

« Reply #202 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »

Just finished watching Once.

Oh man, oh man.

I totally didn't want that to end.  Why did it have to end?  Arghghhghhahhhhh SO GOOD.
mountmccabe

« Reply #203 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »

Those who have seen There Will Be Blood: did the audience laugh when Plainview gets baptized and/or during the final minutes of the film?

From what I could tell (e.g., when the laughter started), people were getting a chuckle from Eli's preaching. His style and content, you know, are certainly funny from an outsider's point of view, but I didn't think it was being played for a laugh -- I was watching it as terrible, as in "Ivan the," but the laughter undermined my viewing experience. Anyway, don't mean to make a big deal out of this. Cheers!

I just saw There Will Be Blood with an audience and there was laughter at both times.  From what I can tell for the earlier instance it was the anticipation of Plainview's comeuppance.  At that point we don't realize that he isn't going to be broken by the experience, just twisted further.  As for the final minutes there was laughter when Eli appeared, dressed up as he was; it's a significant change seeing him like that.  There was also laughter when Plainview was humiliating him, but that was more out of shock.

Wow I love that movie.

You know a pancake?
heather marie

« Reply #204 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:03:01 AM »

I just watched Juno. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5 stars, if we're taking that route. The abortion clinic scene didn't seem as if the one pro-life protester (who was a teenage girl herself, btw) swayed her to keep the baby, it just seemed more as if Juno's ADD/anxiety levels spiked and she split. I went from loving Jason Bateman to thinking Jason Bateman was a big freakin' douchebag. The ending was adorable. The dialogue annoyed the shit out of me -- NOBODY talks like that. And if they do, please allow me to stab them in the face. Cute story, annoying dialoge, it was good but not great.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #205 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:31:25 AM »

See, the dialogue in that first convenience store scene annoyed the shit out of me, like "Oh God, I'm in for a long movie."  But once it settled in it all seemed relatively standard comedy-dialogue.

Also, "People don't really talk like that!" is a poor way of judging dialogue in fiction.  If you want to hear how people really talk go sit at a bus station or something.

I'm done apologizing for this movie, though.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #206 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:45:06 AM »

you twee shill

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #207 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:47:47 AM »

fair enough

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #208 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:47:13 AM »

Just finished watching Once.

Oh man, oh man.

I totally didn't want that to end.  Why did it have to end?

Because the only thing worse than a crap film that ends is a crap film that doesn't end.  At least the producers understood that much.

But really, I find it baffling the extent to which this film is loved.

Note to world: IT'S A CAFE, NOT A MOVIE SET.  AND I ONLY GET AN HOUR FOR LUNCH.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
morgan

« Reply #209 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:39:13 AM »

Pfft.  I'm sure you're just jealous 'cause Glen Hansard probably flirted with the waitress you have a crush on, or something.

Did you actually see the movie?  Can I ask why you didn't like it?
Doctor Bob

« Reply #210 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:53:12 AM »

Ha, no.  If other people flirting with my baby bothered me I would long ago have stopped going there for lunch.  They're as entitled as I am.

I saw some of the film but couldn't finish it.  A bit like when I read The Bridges of Madison County which, come to think of it, is a good parallel for the 'emotional depth' of Once.  The film is, in effect, a Glen Hansard / Frames video compilation.

Why did you like it?

Di you enjoy The Bridges of Madison County as much?

edison

« Reply #211 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:55:47 AM »

Since I see the doctor has delivered on his promise to visit the movie thread, I should probably report about Garage, which I saw Friday afternoon. I thought it was grand hmm, wait, really good. I'd be interested to know what the things that are specific to rural Ireland you thought people might not catch were - I'm sure I must have missed a couple of allusions or references here and there. I still remain a bit conflicted about the very ending (the last shot), because part of me was going "Hey! Stop ripping off Bresson!" and the other part "well, this is really good, though" - but overall, I thought it was really well done - and kudos to Abrahamson for not falling into cheap sentimentalism when it would have been so easy to.

I also saw Loach's particularly convincing latest pamphlet, It's a Free World.. - I've never followed everything the man does, far from that, but I do really enjoy his work. Also went to a screening of an extremely popular (dozens of millions of viewers, apparently) Russian movie from 1955, Carnival Night by Elgar Riazanov - turned out to be an entertaining, fast-paced and surprisingly irreverential musical, so a good time was had during that too.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #212 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:05:07 AM »

Heh.  Thanks for that.  The reason I visited was to see if you'd posted a report yet (not to pick a fight with morgan, honest!).  I'm running out the door to lunch now (flirty flirty), but I'll be back anon to respond (once [ha! 'once'] I've re-read my original post re Garage to see what I was saying).

C of heartbreak

« Reply #213 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »

To Hannah and mccabe, I totally feel you on the laughter part. Though, the laughter in response to the beginning of the final scene just drives that last action even further. I'm pretty sure people were supposed to laugh, although yes it did kind of annoy me.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
heather marie

« Reply #214 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:27:20 AM »

See, the dialogue in that first convenience store scene annoyed the shit out of me, like "Oh God, I'm in for a long movie."  But once it settled in it all seemed relatively standard comedy-dialogue.

Also, "People don't really talk like that!" is a poor way of judging dialogue in fiction.  If you want to hear how people really talk go sit at a bus station or something.

I'm done apologizing for this movie, though.

Well, that was my initial response when people kept saying they hated the dialogue. I was all, "but it's fiction! Come on, people!" but then I saw it and it irked me. I mean, it was cute because it was Juno's shtick and all, but it also annoyed me at the same time. But I don't think the movie would have been as good without it. I'm kind of contradicting myself here. I liked it, basically, I'm just waiting for 16 year old kids to start picking up her slang or something and using it.

My only REAL complaint: NOT ENOUGH RAINN WILSON.
jess

« Reply #215 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »

I think it was the lack of convincing emotion underlying the dialogue for the most part that makes it not work for me, not just the dialogue. I just didn't buy it for the most part. I kept being told there was emotion happening, but relatively few of the characters and scenes made me feel it.
heather marie

« Reply #216 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »

I started seeing the emotion at the end, when Juno saw Vanessa at the mall with the little girl and also when she wrote her the "If you're still in, I'm in" note but I don't know. I think I had really high hopes for the movie and also everyone hyped it up and it just didn't live up to my expectations.m
elpollodiablo

« Reply #217 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »

I heard an interview with Diablo Cody and Ellen Paige that led me to believe that subjecting myself to 90 mins. of Paige speaking dialogue written by Cody would surely end in murders

think 'on the road.'
heather marie

« Reply #218 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »

You would for sure kill someone or yourself.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #219 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »

Hopefully both!

think 'on the road.'
morgan

« Reply #220 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »

Ha, no.  If other people flirting with my baby bothered me I would long ago have stopped going there for lunch.  They're as entitled as I am.

I saw some of the film but couldn't finish it.  A bit like when I read The Bridges of Madison County which, come to think of it, is a good parallel for the 'emotional depth' of Once.  The film is, in effect, a Glen Hansard / Frames video compilation.

Why did you like it?

Di you enjoy The Bridges of Madison County as much?

I've never seen or read The Bridges of Madison County.  I liked Once for a lot of reasons.  I loved the music, first of all.  I thought it was a really beautiful, subtle story about two people making a connection, and that it wasn't done in a typical way.  I also thought the connection between the two main characters was pretty realistic, given the situations they were both in individually. 

I don't know, it made me feel alive.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #221 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:58:04 PM »

Once seemed to me, like Juno, an exquisitely marketed piece of fluff designed to get NPR listeners and consumers of friendly indie-folkish type music out to the theater

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #222 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »

Yeah, my mom loved it. She told me it was about an Irish musician and I never looked back.

l'era del terzo mondo.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #223 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »

I guess i will summarize my experience with film for the last month.  I thought Juno was alright.  I did like No Country For Old Men alot.  I did not like Sweeny Todd at all.   I am really up for seeing There Will Be Blood if it will play anywhere near me.  My girlfriend wants to see Atonement, but I'm not too eager.  I rented Good Will Hunting.  That was a pleasant film.  The grammar of the title still confuses me.

Puddle Pants
elpollodiablo

« Reply #224 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »

A magical night in Dublin, I believe was how Edelstein described it

That was enough for me

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread
Jump to: