Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 10:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657940 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 83 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19
Print
Author Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread  (Read 67412 times)
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #350 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »

don't you get it? its a REMAKE of a CLASSIC, it MUST be GOOD

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
coldforge

« Reply #351 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »

What I appreciate about conservatives is that their strawman style of argument works its way into all facets of life, so you have Freddy saying things like the above.

l'era del terzo mondo.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #352 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »

I heard that Scalia once broke a chair on Stephen Weber's back over that "Shining" remake.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #353 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

but what's really funny is that I doubt FK has seen either "3:10 to Yuma"; he's just drunk on free beer.  This is vintage, pre-conservative FK, actually.

coldforge

« Reply #354 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »

You can certainly see a thread of continuity.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #355 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »

you guys are projecting some weird stuff onto a throwaway gag post

anyway i really want to see Performance now, i guess i'll have to track it down somewhere

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #356 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »

I think it was Jeb who hipped me to this... just watched it tonight, and it's ridiculously awesome. Fuckin taking on the white establishment, so cool.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #357 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »

so heath ledger died huh

i hope they dont delay the dark knight

dieblucasdie

« Reply #358 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:35:34 PM »

They probably won't.  If it were coming out like, this week they might, but they've got until summer, plus all the footage is in the can

And honestly this can only help the film financially. 

andronicus

« Reply #359 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »

They were showing footage of his performance on the morning show while I was on my lunch break and I have to say, it looked pretty disturbing.
morgan

« Reply #360 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:52:23 PM »

Yeah, apparently playing the part took a pretty big emotional and physical toll on him.  That's what I read, anyway. 

Either way, it's sad that he died.  Sad
coldforge

« Reply #361 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »

He was a much better actor than Brad Renfro, that's for sure!

l'era del terzo mondo.
guanajuato

« Reply #362 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »

Yeah, I've noticed a couple cable tv news channels I am guilty of watching (I just watch in case some new twist in the natalie holloway case emerges! seriously. swear) -- keep tying together his role as the joker and his death/suicide. It seems a little far fetched, although I don't doubt everything can take a toll! though i'd be more likely to place the blame at our cannibalistic celebrity world, where people that are too-young become too-successful, too-quick, and buy too many drugs.

and not to make light of it, but, jack nicholson has a quote out there, and the entire quote is,

'i warned him'.

which, considering nicholson once portrayed the ol' joker, is creepitatious. maybe he warned him not to play the joker!?

not that i think that was it or to make light of the guy's death. and i honestly can't believe you guys are worried about batman delays! pretty cold, yo! but i mean, maybe you really like YOUR BATMAN!

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Ah_Pook

« Reply #363 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:18:36 PM »

maybe it makes me an asshole but the first thing i though when i saw he had died was fuck they better not delay the dark knight".

its not like i knew the guy or anything. i mean its sad when people die in general  but yknow.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #364 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »

you guys are projecting some weird stuff onto a throwaway gag post

anyway i really want to see Performance now, i guess i'll have to track it down somewhere

fer real

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
guanajuato

« Reply #365 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »

maybe it makes me an asshole but the first thing i though when i saw he had died was fuck they better not delay the dark knight".

its not like i knew the guy or anything. i mean its sad when people die in general  but yknow.

don't mean to sound pejorative!!! i was just like, whoa dudes really wanna see the dark knight!

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #366 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »

so hey, saw two movies while lptj was down.

first, "brazil". and it wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but i think this movie might be a tad overrated. i saw the 2 1/2 hour cut, too, which i know is the director's preferred version, but i ended up feeling like there were certain parts that could have been cut down a bit. i don't usually think that way about any movie, but i guess because i know the whole history behind this one, it was on my mind. the woman who played jill did really well, as did the guy who played sam, and i can't complain about robert deniro either, but there was a bit of overacting by the less major characters, i felt. also, you could really tell that the movie was directed by a former monty python director--though this was a good thing, on the whole. i got kind of weirded out by the ending at first, too, until i saw the VERY end and figured out what was actually going on. then, i really liked it. and one more thing--all the stuff in the movie about terrorism being a smokescreen to enable the government to more efficiently run the lives of ordinary citizens and take away their rights reminded me so much of current events, it was sort of creepy. i could imagine that movie being made today, and it actually seems more on-target today than i would think it was 20 years ago.

also, last night, i saw "running with scissors". i've read the book, so i knew what to expect from the overall plot, but i wasn't sure how much of what was in the book would make it into the movie and how much would be left out. i found that the book played the story for dark comedy a lot more, while the movie concentrated just as much on the misery and fuckedupness of the whole situation as it did humor, perhaps more so. i thought the movie was really well done, and enjoyed it all the way through, but there were a couple parts where it kinda got topheavy with its own bleakness or whatever, which pulled me out of the movie a bit. i think they really would have been better off putting a little more humor and less pathos into it. but as i said, it was still good. joseph cross, brian cox, annette bening, and evan rachel wood all did really well in it, i thought. with lesser actors it might really have been a good bit harder to suspend disbelief, so kudos to whoever cast it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #367 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:40:02 AM »

Brazil kicks much ass!

Compendious as hell
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #368 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »

yeah, see, i don't know if i'd go that far. it's pretty good, yes, but i wouldn't say it's amazing or anything.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #369 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:39:56 PM »

Frowning kids at Hot Topic stores across the nation would disagree

think 'on the road.'
das kranke Tier

« Reply #370 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »

Frowning kids at Hot Topic stores across the nation would disagree

Is it actually a hit with that crowd?

Compendious as hell
dieblucasdie

« Reply #371 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »

People like to hate on the Hot Topic crowd but the kids are alright

elpollodiablo

« Reply #372 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »

Says the dude with his nails painted

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #373 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:36:50 PM »

Brazil is great! Terry Gilliam isn't the most focussed film maker around, that's for sure, but Brazil is one movie where it still manages to hang together.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #374 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »

im sad that the movie gilliam was making with heath ledger isnt going to happen now, it sounded like it could be good. also tom waits was playing the devil and that would have been cool. dudes movies are cursed.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: they've shown this on both screens: your next movie thread
Jump to: