Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 03:40:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Print
Author Topic: The Wire - Season Five  (Read 66223 times)
lastclearchance

« Reply #450 on: Mar 06, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »

pelecanos should know better. just because his characters are usually into all that doesn't mean it'll fly coming out of mcnulty's son's mouth. nick sbotka had a really out of place poster in his room in the basement back in season 2, too, but i lent my dvds out and i don't remember what it was.
I don't really know what the hell you're even saying here (the bit blucas was quoting came from McNulty, not his son)

I'm saying that I didn't buy the idea that McNulty's son was listening to Dead Meadow, and that the namedrop was probably George Pelecanos's doing, because he's got the music knowledge, and the characters in his novels usually do too, at least to an extent, plus Pelecanos brings the DC and aren't Dead Meadow from DC?

edit: quote fixed
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2008, 04:33:48 PM by lastclearchance » Logged

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #451 on: Mar 06, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »

I have no goddamn idea who Dead Meadow even are, is probably the root of the problem here

I thought they were just some fictional band with a dumbass name meant to suggest that McNulty's son listens to some emo schlock instead of something McNulty could relate to

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #452 on: Mar 06, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »

Dead Meadow are from DC yes, (they're like an indie-rock stonerish band, pollo), and totally the sort of thing they'd be listening to, I don't know what you're complaining about.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
lastclearchance

« Reply #453 on: Mar 06, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »

I guess I don't think it'd be what they'd be listening to. Maybe I just need to figure out what I think they'd be listening to instead to make a better case here.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #454 on: Mar 06, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »

I mean, the one kid is playing a guitar in that scene, and given their haircuts and the way they dress it would seem logical they'd be into stonerish indie rock, particularly since we're talking about a regional band, and we live in the era where big-indie-label bands like Dead Meadow are sure to get a front page spot on the iTunes store now and then.

I just think it's a weird thing to nitpick on.  I thought it was a funny line.

DCDave

« Reply #455 on: Mar 06, 2008, 04:46:58 PM »

Dead Meadow are based out of LA now.  It's feasible to think that they would have heard of them.  They're not on everyone's lips in DC, but they're fairly buzzed about. 

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
heather marie

« Reply #456 on: Mar 06, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »

9 minutes remaining, yesssssssssss
dieblucasdie

« Reply #457 on: Mar 06, 2008, 05:49:41 PM »

just uh keep my name out of it

hahaha awesome

dieblucasdie

« Reply #458 on: Mar 06, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »

That episode was surprisingly low-key.  I'm not sure what to think.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #459 on: Mar 06, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »

we got a little burned out on the wire.  Season 3 was kind of a drag so we stopped a few epies in.  currently we're catching up on this seasons' project runway and watching top model weekly. (and watching a surprising amount of american idol, that cute little blonde chick that did love is a battle field rocked the fucking house amirite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZm3S5pAd0 )
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2008, 06:46:30 PM by FreddyKnuckles » Logged

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #460 on: Mar 06, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »

Her "You're So Vain" from last week was even better.  But now I'm rooting for dog-girl.

Also S3 of "The Wire" is like, several orders of magnitude better than any of those shows.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #461 on: Mar 06, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »

Her "You're So Vain" from last week was even better.  But now I'm rooting for dog-girl.

Also S3 of "The Wire" is like, several orders of magnitude better than any of those shows.

Really though watching meaningless reality schlock is less exhausting than investing your time in something you have to think about

think 'on the road.'
heather marie

« Reply #462 on: Mar 06, 2008, 09:18:42 PM »

That episode was surprisingly low-key.  I'm not sure what to think.

yeah, i'm in the same boat. it's like i'm waiting for something more.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #463 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:04:46 PM »

What the hell are you guys talking about?

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #464 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

I'm not really expecting something else to happen, I was just surprised at quickly the tension they built up over the last couple eps disipates (other than w/r/t Marlo plotline). 

I know some people will disagree, but I thought what happens with Marlo is the fucking perfect way to leave things.

Also suck it pollo I was right about Slim.

andronicus

« Reply #465 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:20:32 PM »

I know some people will disagree, but I thought what happens with Marlo is the fucking perfect way to leave things.
agree.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #466 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »

Hey man, no need for animosity! And I happen to totally agree with you w/r/t Marlo. It was perfect.

But so was the rest of the episode. And that long, brooding final shot of Bmore? Excellent. Same with that montage of quiet cityscapes about halfway through. Almost makes me wish we'd have gotten more of that throughout the series.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #467 on: Mar 06, 2008, 11:15:33 PM »

Actually, maybe there's not a fall.  Maybe Kima blows the whistle, which she's pretty obviously on her way to do, and  Rawls doesn't want the money train to stop or doesn't want to look like an idiot or maybe both so he covers it up, and maybe it goes all the way up to Carcetti, who definitely doesn't want a huge fucking police scandal during his run-up to the Governor race, so Carcetti keeps mum, and maybe they even put it on someone, a scapegoat, or maybe someone who fits the profile but has died for other reasons, but the entire department pretty much knows about it and that's what Simon meant about nobody getting out clean.

I wasn't far off

also yay for bubs, lol on marlo ending up being a corner boy again, but fuckin' dukie.  goddammit.  And I know I know nearly every damn one of us posted our fears on that score but still.  I liked the closing montage but I don't know, the switching back to McNulty and him saying "Let's go home" smelled about the same as the goodnight moon bit.  Oh well.  Still, it ended well.  And in the epilogue that aired only in my head, a random accident caused Scott Templeton to be horribly mutilated in the middle of nowhere and he died, slowly, alone

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
jebreject

« Reply #468 on: Mar 07, 2008, 12:45:18 AM »

Kind of disappointed upon first viewing. Will write more after I watch it again.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
heather marie

« Reply #469 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »

Hey man, no need for animosity! And I happen to totally agree with you w/r/t Marlo. It was perfect.

But so was the rest of the episode. And that long, brooding final shot of Bmore? Excellent. Same with that montage of quiet cityscapes about halfway through. Almost makes me wish we'd have gotten more of that throughout the series.

my semi-disappointment is purely selfish. I know the ending was good, but I wanted templeton to get fucked in the ass hard but of course I knew that wouldn't happen. however, bubs came out a winner and that's ultimately the best thing that could happen because I love bubs. I knew Michael was going to be the next Omar, I really had no idea what would happen with Marlo so I think that scene was perfect, and I don't even know what else. mainly I'm just sad that it's over because I just got into it and now it's already done. that's what I get for being late to the game, I guess.
edison

« Reply #470 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »

A few random thoughts:

- I really liked how subdued and kind of anti-climactic the whole thing was - I don't think it was really surprising, though.
- The montage of city shots was actually at the 1h mark - I agree that it was beautiful and it felt to me almost exactly like an encore break in a rock show, probably because that's where the episode would have normally ended and the last half-hour felt really special and kind of emotional
- The McNulty/Daniels elevator scene was classic
- "I can't make shit up, can I?"
- One thing that bugged me a bit is when Levy introduces Stanfield to Krawczyk and co.: surely those guys might be a little wary of doing business with a guy who's just been all over the paper headlines for a massive drug bust? Maybe I'm just naive.
edison

« Reply #471 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »

Also, I'm probably completely wrong about this, because my memory is not very good, but doesn't the Richmond Community Center look a bit like the BPD building in Homicide?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #472 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »

- One thing that bugged me a bit is when Levy introduces Stanfield to Krawczyk and co.: surely those guys might be a little wary of doing business with a guy who's just been all over the paper headlines for a massive drug bust? Maybe I'm just naive.

Well if you'll remember, Clay Davis told Freamon that Levy is only stringing these guys along, slow rolling em for as much as he can get without letting them become too successful or out of control. I'm sure Krawcyzk just saw Marlo as a big sack with a $ on it, and had Levy's reassurances that they wouldn't get into any shit just juicing the dumb motherfucker, especially since he was putatively retired from the street business.

think 'on the road.'
edison

« Reply #473 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »

That makes sense, yes. Thanks.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #474 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »

yeah its not about not liking it, its about watching the first two seasons in like a month.  In a couple weeks we'll probably start watching again.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: The Wire - Season Five
Jump to: