Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 20, 2014, 01:57:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658103 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Legos  (Read 9038 times)
Johnp

« Reply #100 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:23:43 AM »

I knew there was a reason to have kids:

Nos vertus ne sont, le plus souvent, que des vices déguisés.
clare

« Reply #101 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:25:57 AM »

Love the ziggurat!

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Almanzo

« Reply #102 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:42:03 AM »

I didn't know there was a Lego thread on here. Or that it would be called "Legos."

I'm super duper hyped on the new Lego VW Bus. I finally saw it in person and it's truly a thing of beauty, down to the details.

The roof even has cloth pieces, omg.

There are some complaints that the actual hinge (all Creator stuff opens) is kind of a weak build and there's some collapse issues, but WHOOOO CARES IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

Sodomize Intolerance
Thermofusion

« Reply #103 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »

Whoa that is awesome.

triple paisley minimum
Lucy

« Reply #104 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »

The plaid curtains are a pretty sweet touch
davy

« Reply #105 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

Amazing.

And prohibitively expensive, no doubt!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Almanzo

« Reply #106 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

I'm also really gaga over mini builds right now. There's something so impressive about making detailed and impressive builds with such an economy of pieces - I mean look at the wake from the submarine, just so elegant and simple but effective. I love the big insane Creator sets that achieve unbelievable detail with a bazillion pieces, but doing the same thing on a mini scale is just so so so swag.

This guy does amazing work. I mean - look at the ice cream scoops used to build the rising plume of smoke beneath the launching ICBM!

Lego themselves are doing a limited mini-build version of their Modular Buildings, which I collect the big nasty versions of.

Absolutely adorable.

Sodomize Intolerance
Almanzo

« Reply #107 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »

Amazing.

$120 for 1332 pieces. It's a little known (outside of nerdos) fact that Lego tends to follow a rough scale of "about $.10 per piece," which does seem weirdly fair when you think about it. This does fall apart when it comes to their heavily licensed stuff or the Architecture series.

Sodomize Intolerance
jm

« Reply #108 on: Nov 09, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »

Amazing.

$120 for 1332 pieces. It's a little known (outside of nerdos) fact that Lego tends to follow a rough scale of "about $.10 per piece," which does seem weirdly fair when you think about it. This does fall apart when it comes to their heavily licensed stuff or the Architecture series.

The Architecture series fucking blows.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
peacocks

« Reply #109 on: Nov 09, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »

Are Legos the new model train thing? Is my future second or third husband going to build a shed in my backyard for his lego layout? BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

dick-check your priviledge
Thermofusion

« Reply #110 on: Nov 09, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »

No joke: taking the board's tastes under consideration, I spent a minute or so working on a joke about artisan Legos before abandoning it

triple paisley minimum
Greg Nog

« Reply #111 on: Nov 09, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »

This has been the final push I needed to buy the Lighthouse set I've had my eye on for a while.
Lucy

« Reply #112 on: Nov 09, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »

Greg, the Lego Lighthouse is AWESOME! Almanzo and I built it a month or so ago!

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 03:02:23 PM by Lucy » Logged
Greg Nog

« Reply #113 on: Nov 09, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »

god damn but i am diggin on them seagulls
Almanzo

« Reply #114 on: Nov 09, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »

god damn but i am diggin on them seagulls

Yeah, they're a really super cute addition. I love when Lego builds animals out of components, like the white dog in the Apple House set.

Sodomize Intolerance
clare

« Reply #115 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:48:20 AM »

Big boy and I saw the Architecture series for the first time the other day. Was totally tempted by the Robie House, but didn't have the vast amount of money it cost :-( The big boy's not really into Lego, or Meccano, sadly, but he was impressed too.

Almanzo

« Reply #116 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »

Robie house is really gorgeous. Unfortunately, the Architecture series is pretty overpriced and the builds are conservative.

Sodomize Intolerance
jm

« Reply #117 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »

I was pretty blunt upthread, but I think the architecture sets are the poorest possible execution of a really excellent idea.

clare

« Reply #118 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:22:53 AM »

You were blunt, but I was wondering if you might elaborate a bit...?

jm

« Reply #119 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »

Well like. They cost an awful lot of money to not be very detailed and just like grey/black/tan slabs. I've seen people make really detailed, to-scale models of the Empire State building and such out of non-specialty-set Lego, and these just pale in comparison. For the money, I'd expect something better.

Almanzo

« Reply #120 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

Well like. They cost an awful lot of money to not be very detailed and just like grey/black/tan slabs. I've seen people make really detailed, to-scale models of the Empire State building and such out of non-specialty-set Lego, and these just pale in comparison. For the money, I'd expect something better.

Yeah, they're basically boring, simplistic, uncreative builds, especially for the money compare something like the Lego Grand Emporium or Green Grocer

to the Architecture series:

What a snooze!

Sodomize Intolerance
jm

« Reply #121 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »

One of those sets (I can't tell which on my phone) has a dude with a top hat and a fucking lego croissant. It is a set that is basically created with me in mind.

davy

« Reply #122 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »

Well, to be fair, the houses are way more interesting than the skyscrapers/monuments, but the point still stands to a degree.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
clare

« Reply #123 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »

Right, so the whole 'it's Lego for grownups' doesn't wash (because all Lego is for grownups). I hadn't seen the emporium or greengrocer before. Cool. i have seen awesome things built out of regular Lego too, so it's good to hear what you meant. Thanks.

Ashley

« Reply #124 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »

I'm looking at the new girly lego sets.

And I know they are not the greatest in a lego purist kind of way, they definitely could have been done better.

But as a girl who has not seen any toys in the past few years that I thought "seven year old me would have wanted that so bad", I look at these toys and think...  Oh my god, it's like they tapped into my seven year old brain and took what was in my imagination and made it real.

It would have been so much better if they did it in a more buildery way, but that's an issue with lego overall right now.  I also don't really like the dolls, but they've changed all my childhood toys to be dolls like that.  I think parts of them would integrate really well with other lego sets. 

I wouldn't have known it because I didn't really follow toys, I just accepted them, but I would have died for these:

I  just can't describe what little plastic cats do to me.  I had all of the pirates and space ships and wizards and westerns a girl could want, but no tiny plastic bedrooms, and no tiny plastic vet offices.  I played lego by building a village and creating a story around characters building their houses.  My star lego house was always a junk yard with robots (lego legs with blocks for heads) for pets.  I built other houses with bathrooms and bedrooms out of blocks but I didn't like the houses because they were so dark and miserable inside.   Everyone wanted to be the junkyard dude but I couldn't justify building a bunch of wacky houses full of robots.   I can't imagine what life would be like with lego bedroom sets and kitchens and cars to drive around tiny plastic cats.  It's designed to drive around pets!  You don't know how much abuse my Barbies went through in the name of their "pets", none of their cars were their own.  Dream come true. 

I think even the dolls are growing on me now, because the more I think about it the more I remember how much I didn't like that the lego women were just lego men with long hair - or sometimes you found a head with really absurd make up on it.

I'm pretty sure my brother and I would have fought over pieces from these sets.  More here

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Legos
Jump to: