Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 19, 2014, 03:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658012 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: my black sabbath book: samples available  (Read 53277 times)
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #175 on: Apr 28, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »

I agree with Andrew, SABOTAGE!!!

And....just to make sure, we all respect the Dio albums?  BECAUSE YOU SHOULD

Puddle Pants
andronicus

« Reply #176 on: Apr 28, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »

1. Black Sabbath (by a solid margin)
2. Master of Reality
3. Paranoid
4. Sabotage
5. Vol. 4
6. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #177 on: Apr 28, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »

And....just to make sure, we all respect the Dio albums?  BECAUSE YOU SHOULD

yeah. they're like a different band, but a GOOD different band. and i like "born again" too.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
alex

« Reply #178 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »

Can your lists be accurately summarised as saying that I (and others who have recently discovered Black Sabbath through this book) should just invest in a copy of that boxset with all the early albums? Because that's how I'm receiving the message.

Anyway, I took a pretty extensive walk in the rain today just because Master of Reality was playing on my mp3 player and every time I approached the faculty and wanted to turn off the player and get back to work, I was thinking "nah, I can't stop listening now in the middle of this song, let's walk around the block one more time". I got soaked, but it was worth it.

John, re: translation - man, I'd love to help, but I'm not sure this is gonna happen. First of all, I have very little experience, and no education, in translating stuff, so I doubt I could really do your writing justice - I wouldn't worry about that too much if I expected the book to be sloppily written in the first place, but somehow, on the basis of pretty much everything else I've read from you, I don't see that happening. Secondly, as sad as this is, this would basically the first non-research related book I'd be reading in about four months, which I guess tells you a bit about how wrapped up I am right now in my own stuff and how little intellectual activities I get around to doing outside of that.

edited because I'm not sure if it's really cool to pass along the ball like that and I imagine if anyone thinks they might be able to give this a shot they're probably gonna speak up themselves
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2008, 12:13:28 PM by alex » Logged
andronicus

« Reply #179 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »

Can your lists be accurately summarised as saying that I (and others who have recently discovered Black Sabbath through this book) should just invest in a copy of that boxset with all the early albums? Because that's how I'm receiving the message.
This is something you should do, yes.  The one I have has the first 8 (all the Ozzy material, remastered).  It is quite excellent.

It should be noted that my list was just an ordering of my preferences among the first six Black Sabbath albums.  Taking in their entire oeuvre into consideration, Heaven and Hell would probably edge out Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for 6th spot.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #180 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:35:59 PM »

i realize "sabbath bloody sabbath" is somewhat of a weak album, but for me the fact that it contains "spiral architect", "looking for today", and "killing yourself to live" will always be enough.

andronicus

« Reply #181 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »

Sabbra Cadabra is also fucking crucial for cruising slow down the main road of your shitty small town in a 20 year old Ford truck on a humid Saturday night in the middle of summer.  SBS is totally not weak.  I mean for Black Sabbath, maybe it is a little step down, but picking between those first six records is like picking your favorite child, you know.  Except in this case each of your children really are special and you don't just say that to get them to shut the fuck up so Daddy can watch his programs.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #182 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »

So do Sabbath fans think of Ozzy's solo records the same way I think of Mick Jagger's solo records?

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #183 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »

No.
coldforge

« Reply #184 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »

Mick Jagger has solo records?

l'era del terzo mondo.
DanielBurns11

« Reply #185 on: Apr 28, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »

Mick Jagger has solo records?

Maaik

« Reply #186 on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »

he's got one that I know of

I need anne the man lessons
elpollodiablo

« Reply #187 on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »

There are at least three

think 'on the road.'
Babar

« Reply #188 on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »

he even has a best of compilation

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #189 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »

mick jagger has done nearly half a dozen solo records since 1984 or so. keith richards has a few himself. i hear MUCH better things about keith's. the idea i get is that mick's consist of everything keith would never let him get away with, which of course probably means that they're like all the worst parts of the worst rolling stones records without the good parts to balance them out.

concerning ozzy's solo material, one thing a lot of fans agree upon is that ozzy's first solo band with randy rhoads on guitar was every bit as good as black sabbath. that's the band that produced his first two albums, "blizzard of ozz" and "diary of a madman". "crazy train", "suicide solution", "mr. crowley", and "flying high again" all come from these two albums. after that, randy rhoads died, and ozzy never seemed to get that inspiration back again. his solo career traces a steady decline, and if you ask me, the last of his solo albums that has any worthwhile material on it is "no rest for the wicked"--and it's only maybe 3 songs off that record.

if you do want to check out "blizzard" and "diary" in their original form, you have to check out the earlier versions of the cds, or just find them on vinyl or cassette. sometime around 2000, the guys who played bass and drums on those records, who weren't credited on the album and weren't paid for their work, won a lawsuit against ozzy to earn rightful credit and royalties for future pressings of the album. ozzy, no doubt influenced or maybe even puppet-mastered by his evil wife sharon, responded to this by rerecording the bass and drum tracks of the album with his current bassist and drummer playing on them. i'm sure you can imagine what kind of a fiasco results from trying to redo the rhythm tracks on an album on which the guitar parts can't be rerecorded or really disturbed in any way (since the guitarist on the album is long dead), and from what i've heard, it's every bit as bad as you'd imagine. but i guess ozzy just couldn't bear to actually pay his sidemen. what bullshit.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #190 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:44:36 PM »

So Crazy Train is considered good is what you are saying

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #191 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »

fuck yes it is! dude, you don't like "crazy train"?

elpollodiablo

« Reply #192 on: Apr 28, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »

I like it alright, but I don't know what metal people like!

I don't know what is good. I don't even know what is "good"

think 'on the road.'
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #193 on: Apr 28, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »

Those first 2 Ozzy albums are fantastic.  [OBVIOUS] Rhoads is an amazing guitar player. [/OBVIOUS STATEMENT]

Also...Mob Rules!!!!!.  I pretty much like every Black Sabbath album...even the ones with the goofy singers whose names I forget.  I know some of them are terrible, but I enjoy it. 

Puddle Pants
John
edit0r

« Reply #194 on: Apr 28, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »

I don't like to speak for the consensus, but:

1) most people who love metal & aren't death/black purists will rep for the 1st two Ozzy albums, but only the original editions - there's a whole horrible bullshit story about what happened for the "reissues"/vesions where the rhythm section was replaced. with blizzard and diary of a madman, it is morally imperative that one steal, not buy, these albums. (unless you can find used vinyl or original cd editions, which you can't.)

2) Bark at the Moon is still pretty great - title track of course, "So Tired" a decent Ozz ballad with a killer video, some other good stuff BUT

3) The Ultimate Sin is terrific - has, in "Killer of Giants," a song that recalls Bloody Sabbath-era Sabs, and a guitarist named Jake E. Lee who's great if you go in for 80s metal guitarists (which I do). "Shot in the Dark" (video less good) is in my opinion the jewel in the Ozzy solo crown - such a great chord progression, such a great melody, such a weird vibe.

4) after that I lost track.
Babar

« Reply #195 on: Apr 28, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

4) after that I lost track.

wasn't there a piece about his new album here on lptj? you spoke fondly of it if i remember correctly

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Robert

« Reply #196 on: Apr 28, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

Ummm, I may be in the minority here, but I'll totally stand up for No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears.  Oh, sure, they're utter ridiculous in parts, so much so that they're almost parodies of Ozzy, but there are some good songs on 'em.

Plus, you get Zakk Wylde harmonic squealing all over the tracks like every 8 seconds, which is kind of good if you're into that kind of thing.  I guess I am into that kind of thing...

Damn.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #197 on: Apr 28, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

Plus, you get Zakk Wylde harmonic squealing all over the tracks like every 8 seconds

LOL!!!!

Imitating Zakk Wylde is a running joke among friends of mine.  I guess that's a statement of depth of our relationship.   

Puddle Pants
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #198 on: Apr 29, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »

like i said, i think there are a few good songs on "no rest". "no more tears" is, as far as i can tell, uniformly terrible.

john's comments on "the ultimate sin" make me think i should maybe give that one another shot. i don't even remember the last time i heard "shot in the dark", and that's the only song from that record i ever heard more than a few times. at this point, i remember the album as being mediocre, but maybe i'd see it differently now.

edison

« Reply #199 on: Apr 29, 2008, 03:47:15 AM »

John, re: translation - man, I'd love to help, but I'm not sure this is gonna happen. First of all, I have very little experience, and no education, in translating stuff, so I doubt I could really do your writing justice - I wouldn't worry about that too much if I expected the book to be sloppily written in the first place, but somehow, on the basis of pretty much everything else I've read from you, I don't see that happening. Secondly, as sad as this is, this would basically the first non-research related book I'd be reading in about four months, which I guess tells you a bit about how wrapped up I am right now in my own stuff and how little intellectual activities I get around to doing outside of that.

edited because I'm not sure if it's really cool to pass along the ball like that and I imagine if anyone thinks they might be able to give this a shot they're probably gonna speak up themselves

Nah, don't worry, it's totally cool. I would love to translate the book into French (though my copy hasn't arrived yet), but at the same time - on the basis of the free chapter I read - it looks like a daunting task and I would be quite terrified of screwing it up, so I'm really not sure. Also I wouldn't have the time to work on it more than once in a while until the end of the year.

BTW the "not having time/energy to read non-work related stuff" thing is starting to happen to me now and I'm pretty frustrated about that. Although I did read thirty pages of the latest Greil Marcus book last night.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: my black sabbath book: samples available
Jump to: