Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 27, 2014, 08:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 49 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: my black sabbath book: samples available  (Read 53984 times)
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »

so I'm reading this Celine Dion book and I am ROFLing at this one part

"Each June 24, Quebec celebrates its version of Independence Day.  It has parades, cookouts, fireworks and flags.  All it lacks is the independence."

Puddle Pants
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »

This book is so funny.  In reference to Celine Dion's presence in Jamaica:

"I remember being at sound-system dances and hearing everyone from bob Marley to Kenny Rogers (yes, Kenny Rogers) to Sade to Yellowman to Bennie Man being blasted at top volume while the crowd danced and drank up a storm.  But one the selector (DJ in American parlance) began to play a Celine Dion song, the crowd went buck wild and some people started firing shots into the air..."

I can just picture a bunch of thugged out Rastas, "YAH MON, DIS BE MY FUCKING JAM, MON"

Puddle Pants
ellaguru

« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2008, 12:55:27 PM »

My copy (of Master of Reality, not the Céline Dion one) just arrived, which is perfect timing, as my tentative plan was to read it and then give it to my cousin's kids - in town from Ottawa this weekend - who are teenage boys and consequently probably need to read about Sabbath.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
ellaguru

« Reply #253 on: May 14, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »

I'm glad the book is so short, because I figured I'd listen to the album while reading, and since I read it in one sitting, that meant listening to Master of Reality two and a half times straight through, and I'm not normally one for listening to an album more than once in a day.

This is a really good book, John. Thank you.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
edison

« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »

Just received my copy, at last! It arrived on Saturday morning when I wasn't here, but apparently they were too dumb to just ring a random person to have them open the door to reach the mailboxes, and I somehow only got the slip saying I could go to the post office and pick up the book today, that is, five days after. Great.. I mean, great, the book is mine now!
alex

« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »

Haha, oh my. My copy arrived today too, brought over by the lady who lives at number 28  (I live on number 2 B), who had received it in error. So tempted to read it now, but I should really resist the temptation until after my workshop next week.
milesofsparks

« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2008, 09:12:45 AM »

the reading last night was awesome.  I want an audio book.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
jebreject

« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »

Haha, oh my. My copy arrived today too, brought over by the lady who lives at number 28  (I live on number 2 B), who had received it in error. So tempted to read it now, but I should really resist the temptation until after my workshop next week.

It'll only take about an hour of your time

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
alex

« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »

Yeah, you didn't really think I'd be able to resist the temptation, did you? I read it yesterday, mostly on a one-hour bus ride with Black Sabbath on my earphones, and then the rest at my friend's place before falling asleep, because I meant to go home with the last bus but the stupid bus company had an imaginary extra bus listed on their website, thus leaving me stranded in Aachen for the night. Lucky for my friend, I guess, because I had offered to lend her my copy anyway, so now I could leave it with her immediately, rather than taking it back home with me and handing it over whenever we next meet.

Anyway, the book. It indeed only took about an hour and a half of my reading time, though I feel that it will keep me busy in my thoughts for a little while longer still. I don't feel up to writing an in-depth commentary, at least not now, but let me just say that I was surprised to find much I could relate to here. Having never been to a psychiatric unit, and having not listened to any metal at all until not long ago, I thought the book would describe experiences and feelings that would be fundamentally different to what I remember about being 16 (or, y'know, experience about being 24), and obviously, that was true to some extent. But then, on so many other levels, it made complete sense to me - the sense of alienation, of being trapped in a fundamentally useless institution, of having nothing to keep me going except music, that was all there. I guess I'm just lucky that I never was sent to a institution like that, and more importantly, that I never had my walkman taken away from me.

The other thing I found quite admirable was the balance between music writing and "storytelling", and the way it was all interwoven. It seems fairly difficult to get this right (see the other attempts in the 33 1/3 series, I guess), of writing a fictional or autobiographic account and still keep writing about the music, and, what's more, to actually have something insightful or meaningful to say on that level. I thought it worked out perfectly here. Loved the way that the rhythm of the language, the style of punctuation, etc. developed over time and really reflected what was going on in Roger's head - sometimes before it was even explicitly phrased, but you could just tell from the way he wrote that something was happenin'.

Yeah, I don't feel like a have a whole lot of clever things to add right now, but thanks again, John - both for the book itself, and for the introduction to Black Sabbath.
edison

« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »

Yeah, apart from the nothing-is-more-important-than-my-tapes-and-walkman aspect, which I definitely could relate to a lot, the thing I liked the most about the book was how it nailed the experience of being a kid, simply put, even though like Alex, my childhood and adolescence were very different. It was actually a strange experience, because  the book brought back a lot of memories from ten or fifteen years ago that were not even necessarily related, probably because it made me feel closer to my 15 (or 14 or 16, whatever) old self than I have been in years. You know, like one thing I remember always thinking when I was a kid is "If I forget how life is like for me right now/how insulting this word is to me/etc. when I become an adult like all those adults obviously have forgotten, then I'll be a lousy adult" - and guess what, of course I have forgotten a lot and become in many respects a lousy adult! But Master of Reality helped me remember that I should be less of a lousy adult.

So thank you for that, John, and thank you for the introduction to Black Sabbath, too.
ellaguru

« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

my tentative plan was to read it and then give it to my cousin's kids - in town from Ottawa this weekend - who are teenage boys and consequently probably need to read about Sabbath.

So the 14 year old got through the first 60 pages or so in one sitting, and seemed pretty happy with the book so far. He's a kid who basically doesn't read anything unless he has to, so his mom was pretty pleased, too. Which I guess means she hasn't looked at the first sentence in the book yet. Anyway, he's liking it, so I guess that means the actual kids can relate to it, and not just those of us who still pretend to be kids.

das kranke Tier

« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »

Nobody carries the goddamn thing down here, John!  Fascist Bible Belt bullshit!  UGGGGGHHHH!!

I ordered it through and independent record shop, but have to save my money for the doctor now...

I will own it eventually!

Compendious as hell
alistarr*

« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2008, 04:49:17 AM »

You know, like one thing I remember always thinking when I was a kid is "If I forget how life is like for me right now/how insulting this word is to me/etc. when I become an adult like all those adults obviously have forgotten, then I'll be a lousy adult" - and guess what, of course I have forgotten a lot and become in many respects a lousy adult! But Master of Reality helped me remember that I should be less of a lousy adult.

i try to say something similar to myself most days, and it's really good to hear other people saying the same thing. keep on fighting!
ellaguru

« Reply #263 on: May 28, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »

Oh, also my mom read it while she was here, the same weekend the cousin's kids were here, and said it was well written. So, qualified praise from the all-important early-sixties, doesn't-care-about-music-at-all-let-alone-Black-Sabbath, white woman demographic. She knows much more about metal now.

diesel_powered

« Reply #264 on: Jun 05, 2008, 12:40:37 AM »

Is a mention on Oprah's book club far behind?

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
santaclaustral

« Reply #265 on: Jun 09, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »

Thanks John for writing this. And thanks jeb and Andrew for writing what you wrote earlier in this thread.
theothermike

« Reply #266 on: Jun 15, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »

my copy is getting worn out quickly thanks to all my friends who are to cheap to buy a one. If I lose it (as book lenders often do), I will definitely buy another one.
John
edit0r

« Reply #267 on: Jun 19, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

not really my style to link to interviews with myself but this one has some interesting stuff in it so here it is:

http://thelmagazine.com/6/17/musicology/feature1.cfm?ctype=2
diesel_powered

« Reply #268 on: Jun 20, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »

Yeah, I mean, I am downright allergic to adults romanticizing adolescence. I get really angry when I think about it — how an adult will tell an adolescent, “You’re going to remember these as the best years of your life.” Inside I am still an adolescent when I imagine an adult having the gall to tell a teenager something like that, you know? I worked with children and young adolescents a lot in the late nineties and early 00’s and my experience of them is that they’re rather smarter than adults — maybe adults have an edge in the sort of wisdom that comes with experience, but kids are quicker and sharper and generally haven’t yet decided that holding back your emotions is the best way to live your life. And, I mean, the way I feel about young men and women is that sentimentalizing their position is destructive — and, really, kind of rude, you know?

Could. Not. Agree. More. This informs my interaction with my students (and really, young people in general) in a huge way.

theothermike

« Reply #269 on: Jun 28, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »

Oh man, I found Master of Reality BRAND NEW on cassette for three bucks at my local record store. I hell of purchased it.
diesel_powered

« Reply #270 on: Jun 30, 2008, 03:16:14 AM »

Still searching the Detroit metro area. All the Barnes & Nobles are sold out. Have yet to make it to Borders.

Yeah, I know I could just mail order it, but my short attention span dictates that I have to exhaust all brick and mortar avenues first. The irony of the fact that this inevitably makes me wait longer is not lost on me.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2008, 03:19:52 AM by diesel_powered » Logged

Doctor Bob

« Reply #271 on: Jul 23, 2008, 11:20:58 AM »

I just finished it the other day (I waited until I could find it here in a bookshop).

Nice one, John.  A top read; but great also because it reminds me of your longer pieces from the old print LPtJ, sadly missed. (hint)

Now it's time to go back and read the comments here.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
Bernard

« Reply #272 on: Aug 09, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »

Ok, I have finally found MOR on LP ($15). When I have some privacy tonight, I can at last get to this.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
lastclearchance

« Reply #273 on: Aug 09, 2008, 02:24:34 PM »

Ok, I have finally found MOR on LP ($15). When I have some privacy tonight, I can at last get to this.

Tape it to cassette first.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Bernard

« Reply #274 on: Aug 09, 2008, 02:49:39 PM »

I can't, my cassette player doesn't have a hookup, and I couldn't find anyplace local that sold cassettes.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: my black sabbath book: samples available
Jump to: