Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 16, 2014, 07:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657995 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 56 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: EXTRA EXTRA! Post all about it! (new news thread)  (Read 76427 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:08:15 PM »

effects of mdma as ptsd treatment being studied

whoa, wait, what?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »

Damn.  Gives "blowin' up" a whole new meaning, huh?

Compendious as hell
Babar

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »

Bobby Fischer died yesterday.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »

Guess we can stop searching, then.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
andronicus

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:12:54 PM »

Man, schadenfreude.  AMBAC just got its rating cut.  MBIA almost certainly will too.  All the small fish in bond-insurance are going tits up already(not that fish have tits).  In the next month all the banks who hold equity in this shit are going to be forced to make write-downs that will probably make the write-downs they've already made look like fucking change lost in the couch cushions.  Retirement funds and other municipal/state trusts in a lot of areas will lose enough principal to have serious problems paying benefits and meeting commitments, because they made all the retarded 'new economy' financial decisions their broker friends told them to that one night over roasted cornish game hens or whateverthefuck.  Jim Cramer will be hung from a gas station light pole by his feet, shot in the head.  Meanwhile, I will be laughing my ass off.  Until I get fired.

edit meanwhile: STIMULUS PACKAGE?!?!  AHAHAHA.  Giving every family enough money to scrape by another few weeks is not going to make a fuck's bit of difference as long as the fundamental structure of your banking, lending, and investment system in this country is the most retarded sauce since the Depression.  Guys we may be in for a little bit of a bumpy ride the next few years.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008, 05:22:31 PM by andronicus » Logged
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

is it fucked up if i think what you're talking about sounds kind of awesome? i mean, maybe it is, maybe i just don't understand it well enough. in fact, can you hook me up with some links that discuss this more in-depth? that would be awesome.

is this gonna be a story on countdown tonight?

also, jim cramer. all i know about him is that he flipped out on tv and i couldn't quite figure out what he was flipping out about. economics gives me a headache.

EDIT: ok, wait. i'm looking at google news and... is george w. bush trying to use this as yet another excuse to ram further tax cuts for the rich down our throats? what the fuck is going on? i'm not finding any specifics, but the broad language i'm seeing in these articles ("The tax relief Bush favors would include tax rebates for families and individuals as well as temporary tax breaks that would give businesses incentives to invest in new equipment." from reuters) makes me REALLY nervous.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: this is TOTALLY gonna be on countdown tonight.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008, 05:40:07 PM by Andrew_TSKS » Logged

Thermofusion

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:44:54 PM »

edit meanwhile: STIMULUS PACKAGE?!?!  AHAHAHA.  Giving every family enough money to scrape by another few weeks is not going to make a fuck's bit of difference...

Yep.  But tax cuts and--if they're feeling REALLY crazy--the occasional rebate are the only "economic stimulants" Republicans know how to inject.  Besides, almost everyone I know treats refunds from the government as free money and immediately sinks it on a flatscreen or one of dem newfangled blue ray thangamabobs.

jim cramer. all i know about him is that he flipped out on tv and i couldn't quite figure out what he was flipping out about.

That's default for him.  He's a dumbass but I enjoyed his Arrested Development cameos, so maybe he and I are even.

triple paisley minimum
andronicus

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:52:12 PM »

I wouldn't be too glib about it Andrew, there are going to be people who lose their jobs and their retirement savings over this and it's through no fault of their own. 

And to Thermofusion, to be fair, there's talk about this shit on both sides of the aisle. 

Honestly lately I've been wondering what the hell happened to all the competent people in this country's governing cabal.  Say what you will about the US, even twenty years ago it seems to me like at least some people were generally capable of figuring out was happening and slapping together some sort of maybe half-cocked solution.  I mean, there's even an example of a similar occurrence (albeit on a much smaller scale) with the Savings & Loan scandals back when, which caused a recession that gave Jay Leno jokes for two or three years.  Thing is, the government came up with a solution to that, even though it was a bad solution (the government ended up basically eating all the losses generated by bad loans and bankruptcies, maybe resulting in those crazy late 80s/early 90s deficits).  Now it seems like Nancy Pelosi and George Bush are willing to work together on this issue because neither one of them has the least fucking clue as to what's actually going on.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »

that's an interesting point about them not knowing what to do. i think if anything it's because at least bush is really mired in one particular way of thinking about the economy and is not willing to consider another worldview even if his worldview is becoming obviously incapable of handling present circumstances. this is a big obvious case of the republican "in an ideal world" approach to lawmaking that is turning around to bite him in the ass.

on the democratic side, i feel like the problem is probably a lot more complicated than that. maybe it's the same reason the democrats rolled over for bush last summer when he got them to accept a plan for withdrawal from iraq that wasn't linked to any sort of timeline. they're so used to being powerless that they can't even act on power once they have it? i don't know, that might not be the problem. there might be some deeper problems with current democratic leadership that i'm not even aware of.

as for being glib--you're right, of course. it's really fucked up that my first response to stuff like this is "maybe this will make life suck for enough apathetic well-to-do people that they'll finally wake up to just how unhospitable our country is to everyone who isn't rich, and maybe then something will get done." in fact, i'll bet it's probably less than well-to-do people who will really feel the pinch from this, and the rich will just be slightly less rich... but still rich enough to be apathetic.

man, the more in-tune with day to day political realities that i've become as i've gotten older, the more depressed about the state of the world i've gotten. this is just another straw onto that particular camel's back, i guess.

DCDave

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »

The country isn't that inhospitable to people that aren't rich compared to most other countries.   If the United States had the population of Norway, etc., etc., we might have more social welfare programs, but it doesn't, and people are typically reluctant to extend benefits to those outside of their tribe.

Most government programs are not redistributive income programs in the form of corporate subsidies.  Most government programs are redistributive income programs in the form of necessity aid for the less well-off.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008, 06:34:06 PM by DCDave » Logged

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Thermofusion

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »

on the democratic side, i feel like the problem is probably a lot more complicated than that. maybe it's the same reason the democrats rolled over for bush last summer when he got them to accept a plan for withdrawal from iraq that wasn't linked to any sort of timeline. they're so used to being powerless that they can't even act on power once they have it? i don't know, that might not be the problem. there might be some deeper problems with current democratic leadership that i'm not even aware of.

The Democrats didn't "roll over" for Bush.  Civics 101 Review Session time: Bush still wields the veto and the Dems don't have a big enough Senate majority to override any veto for any bill that has its support split cleanly down partisan lines (i.e. ultra polarizing shit like war legislation).  The Dems basically have no power right now -- but fundamentalist nutjobs control the Executive branch, almost control the Judicial branch (if Stevens kicks the bucket or retires before Bush leaves the presidency, this country will get fucked in the ass harder than any mortgage crisis or recession could ream us) and Bush's veto override over the Dems' feeble, for-bragging-rights-only Senate majority arguably gives him ultimate authority over Congress, too. 

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:47:48 PM »

i see that point, but i still feel like they could at least have given it a shot. they didn't even bother. that bothers me.

dave, i feel like what you're saying is true but is also a bit beside the point. also, once you take into account the amount of tax breaks that rich people and multinational corporations get, the picture looks different. i'll grant you that tax breaks (government not bothering to ask for money that it might otherwise ask for) are not the same as subsidies (government giving money from its budget to persons/entities), but they amount to the same where their ultimate effects are concerned.

C of heartbreak

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »

Britney Spears did something!

http://www.nme.com/news/britney-spears/33763

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »

interesting. that's how princess diana got killed.

SPACERACE

« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »

that's really awful that the thee top news bytes are about britney spears and the paparazzi, the fucking guy from maximo park complaining about how some bands are in it for money, and mike fucking skinner on how blown away he was by sweeney todd.

i didn't know shit like this even existed

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »

Some masterful journalism by the good ol' billings gazette:

The article begins by discussing how another state newspaper had trouble finding any black people to talk to on MLK day.

"Montana the Least Black State" 
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/01/21/news/state/32-mlk.txt

some choice quotes:
"I remember my first roommate in college," said Acen Chiles, a former University of Montana football player who's lived in Missoula since 1993. "In the middle of the night, he was peeking out from under the covers to look at me. I finally asked him what's up. And he said, 'I've never been around a black person in my life. The only thing I know about black people is what I see on TV.' "

""It's like, if you are not white, you are bringing bad stuff here. It's so generalized. But when I heard about that crime, the first thing that went through my mind was, 'I hope they're not black kids.' They're feeding into the stereotype. It validates the people who think that way."

I don't know why that article is so funny to me right now.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Thermofusion

« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »

"They're feeding into the stereotype. It validates the people who think that way."

Funny, cuz this article's feeding into my stereotype that Montana is a socially-closeted backwater.

triple paisley minimum
diesel_powered

« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »

One of the people in my department is from Kentucky. It's hilarious to watch how twitchy he gets when we go to Detroit.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »

yeah its really funny when the article explains that we're not the whitest state, we're just the least black.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »

that reads like an onion article.

andronicus

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:44:04 PM »

Dude is anyone watching the markets?  This shit is the most fascinating trainwreck I've ever seen. 

Cramer is advocating a (get this) GOVERNMENT FUCKING BUYOUT of the four major bond insurers in danger of going belly up (two of them are the MBIA and AMBAC I mentioned earlier).  Someone decided that reality should look like Richard's wildest schadenfreude fantasy.

Australia's market down 5%, Nikkei similarly, DOW futures down 500 pts.

and he said, and I quote: STIMULUS PACKAGE.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

*runs laughing from universe*
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »

a government buyout? what's he gonna say if the market really does take a shit sometime soon?

andronicus

« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »

When the rivers are choked with the bodies of dead mortgage brokers ZOMBIE KEYNES SHALL WALK THE EARTH AGAIN
Good Intentions

« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »

Now is the best time ever to mail-order shit from the US - quick, get all your wishlists filled before American businesses revert to the barter economy.
diesel_powered

« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:09:13 PM »

STREAMING MLK!

http://www.seeqpod.com/music/?plid=6f25bf95c3

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: EXTRA EXTRA! Post all about it! (new news thread)
Jump to: