Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 02:57:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657939 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: EXTRA EXTRA! Post all about it! (new news thread)  (Read 75614 times)
Antero

« Reply #100 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »

OH MAN

KIND OF AWESOME

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
morgan

« Reply #101 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »

TOTALLY AWESOME
El_Josharino

« Reply #102 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »

It was okay. The fireball was a little weak. And there could have been more doom.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #103 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

My flaming fireball of doom-laden DOOM was not DOOMY and FIERY enough for you?

There's always a fucking critic.

So what fucking exploded in Omaha today?

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Good Intentions

« Reply #104 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »

NY Policeman forces 13 year-old girl into prositution.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #105 on: Jan 31, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »

That is fucking shitty and makes me want to kill

This however is just kind of weird in a "this CAN'T be coincidence" kind of way

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-west-side-firefeb01,0,6104231.story

Basically, dude wrecks his car and dies.  Then later that same day, his business and his apartment burn down.  (overstating my case here a bit, as they were both in the same building)

I mean, did the universe just have a hardon for this guy yesterday?  jeez

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
El_Josharino

« Reply #106 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »

My flaming fireball of doom-laden DOOM was not DOOMY and FIERY enough for you?

There's always a fucking critic.

So what fucking exploded in Omaha today?

Nothing that I know of, but I haven't been out blowing shit up yet today, I'm just saying that I made bigger fireballs than that in my old neighbor's backyard when I was like 10 years old. That's all I'm saying.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Good Intentions

« Reply #107 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

US Economy Unexpectedly Loses 17,000 Jobs.

Entirely unexpectedly. None of us had a hint that this might happen.
diesel_powered

« Reply #108 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »

I am shocked! SHOCKED!

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Good Intentions

« Reply #109 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »

To be fair, they might have expected a loss of 5,000 or so instead. Not that I can think of a way to predict numbers here with more precision than 'big, pretty big,' etc.
andronicus

« Reply #110 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »

For the record, this thought:
"Until now, the labor market had been growing at a steady if softening pace. Many economists pointed to expanding payrolls as the final holdout in a sluggish economy weighed down by trouble on Wall Street, the collapse of the housing bubble, and a cascade of credit problems linked to soured subprime mortgages."
Is immensely deceptive.  Yes payroll was growing, but as the article mentions that growth has just been revised down sharply for Q4 2007, to a degree that makes job growth in 2007 about 2/3 of replacement level.  That is to say, even in Q4 when we were gaining jobs, we still weren't gaining as many as the number of people entering the workforce.  Now we're just straight up losin, which is a whole nother proposition. 

Job growth forecast is the most bullshit thing that ever bullshitted.  Even for the people who know most about the numbers, their guess is about as good as anyone else's.  Like so much other pseudo-information in the markets job growth forecasting is all about giving the market something to push back on or rally on, not about actual prediction.
jebreject

« Reply #111 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »

Both proving Dave's point about healthcare and making him horribly upset all at once, I'm sure:

Fat People Cheaper To Treat

And then this one also talks about some of the other innarestin' stuff we've been talking about over in the election thread:

Tom Friedman's Folly: The Lies Behind 'Free Trade'

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
DCDave

« Reply #112 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »

Both proving Dave's point about healthcare and making him horribly upset all at once, I'm sure:

Fat People Cheaper To Treat

And then this one also talks about some of the other innarestin' stuff we've been talking about over in the election thread:

Tom Friedman's Folly: The Lies Behind 'Free Trade'

Dutch Healthcare doesn't pay for the same obesity related diseases that American healthcare does.  They don't have the same level/# of Cardiac surgeons, for example, so you can't get numerous quad bypasses.  Heart failure (13%) leads pneumonia (11%) as the leading cause of in-hospital mortality.   3% of patients die following bypass surgery.  This is compared to around 4% of patients who die of in-hospital heart failure in the U.S.  This indicates to me that we're willing to expend more resources to keep those patients, many of whom may be obese, alive.Additionally, 28% of the countries' over 16 population are smokers. 

My point being, obese people are probably more expensive to treat in the U.S. than thin people are.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2008, 02:15:28 PM by DCDave » Logged

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #113 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

The answer to healthcare is for everyone to start smoking!  People will be thinner *and* we'll all die before we need all those expensive medications in our 70s.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
nonotyet

« Reply #114 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »

Also there are chemicals in cigarettes that prevent Alzheimer's.
It is totally true my dad said he read it on townhall.com
DCDave

« Reply #115 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:28:47 PM »

Also there are chemicals in cigarettes that prevent Alzheimer's.
It is totally true my dad said he read it on townhall.com

You can also read about it in a number of peer-reviewed journals.  The name of the chemical is nicotine.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #116 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »

Another way they can prevent Alzheimer's is by killing you before you get Alzheimer's.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
DCDave

« Reply #117 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »

Another way they can prevent Alzheimer's is by killing you before you get Alzheimer's.

That is like two ways that it can prevent it.  Parkinson's too.

DCDave

« Reply #118 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »

P.S. There is no Sanctuary.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #119 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »

no one's talking about it, but that alternet article is fascinating. i think i might order that guy's book.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
DCDave

« Reply #120 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »

The issue is that countries can't be unilaterally protectionist, and protectionist industries are rarely globally competitive.  The argument is rarely that corruption is the only issue wrt developing nation failures to liberalize.   It's generally the maintenance of protected industries in the developed and developing world, in addition to corruption, and development of non-sustainable economies based on raw materials.  I dunno - this write-up seemed largely bombastic to me.  The WTO is an organization that is dominated by the interests of the United States and which unfairly maintains protectionist industries.  That doesn't mean free trade or market liberalisation is bad, it means that many of the people championing the liberalisation of markets in the developing world are hypocrites.  But here's the issue, Congress control subsidization and protection of industries, and Congress relies on voters in those protected industries.  Tariffs are the easiest taxes to collect, but they're also among the most market distorting.  I don't know enough about foreign domestic policy programs to be able to state how their expenditure levels on health, education, and services are effected vis a vis balanced budgets, so there may be a point there, but I do know that countries support arms development and accrual of weapons when they, generally, don't need to continue to consume them.   Additionally, in his discussion of intellectual property regimes, the reviewer conflates copyright with patent law. 

Swimmy

« Reply #121 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »

I dunno - this write-up seemed largely bombastic to me.
I laughed my way through it. Thankfully it seems the actual book/author is more reasonable. There was a discussion in the Financial Times, the author chips in at the end: check it.

A Gentile and a tax collector.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #122 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »

one thing i'm sure of is that working with the world bank and the imf is a surefire recipe for failure.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
DCDave

« Reply #123 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »

one thing i'm sure of is that working with the world bank and the imf is a surefire recipe for failure.

Please explain to me what the World Bank does.

Also, what does the IMF do?  Explain the roles of the IMF and World Bank in the global economy.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2008, 06:31:16 PM by DCDave » Logged

jebreject

« Reply #124 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

Wow, the dickheadedness is high these days.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: EXTRA EXTRA! Post all about it! (new news thread)
Jump to: