Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 22, 2014, 08:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658121 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 62 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: EXTRA EXTRA! Post all about it! (new news thread)  (Read 77339 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #250 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:15:03 PM »

It would be like a bunch of really rich Americans having a 'white trash and rednecks' theme party only far, far worse. And there's no sign that he thought anything was wrong with that.

what's sad is how often that exact thing happens in america. and what pollo's talking about--that too. it's really lame. and i'll back you on that one. i guess all i was saying is that the fact he was involved with all that doesn't mean that doing something respectable now is therefore nullified. but i guess that might not have been what you were saying, after all.

So the fancy dress thing, combined with the unabashed *eagerness* with which he talked about going to the frontline, suggests to me less respectable motives than you seem to be giving him credit for. Wanting to go to the frontline isn't in itself an honourable thing... it really depends on your reasons for wanting to go. I've not seen or heard anything to suggest that his reasons are in any way deserving of my respect.

now this is a point i can understand. his reasons may indeed have been some kind of weird slumming thing--though i personally think he would have been disabused of some of his notions about all that if he hadn't had the whistle blown on him, and had gotten a longer stay on the frontlines. it probably would have done him a lot of good.

on the other hand, when i think about the sort of international incident harry getting killed by an ied would have caused, it's probably better to have him home.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Wally

« Reply #251 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:39:19 PM »

on the other hand, when i think about the sort of international incident harry getting killed by an ied would have caused, it's probably better to have him home.

Fuck that. The little tool should be used as a human bomb. Over privileged shit wants to defend queen and country, then strap the fucker to some semtec and launch him into space

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #252 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »

dude, i totally understand that position, but i also understand that it will be impossible to communicate to most brits, including the ones in government, that they shouldn't value harry any more than any other british soldier. you know as well as i do that if he got shot over there, the uk army would flip out and hit afghanistan like a mack truck. and a shitload of other people would probably get killed, and the situation would escalate to an unreasonable level, and bad bad things would come of it.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #253 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

Probably not.  They'd just have an ornate funeral and get, like, Westlife to write a ballad about his bravery.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #254 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »

i think you're wrong on this one, blucas.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #255 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:51:34 PM »

It seems to me
You lived your life
Like some clueless cracker douche

think 'on the road.'
slow west vultures

« Reply #256 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »

don't worry brits, one of us will tivo this for you

Barbara Walters Hosts ABC "Royal Family"special

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=4360004&page=1

it took me awhile to actually find abc's website, but the search was worth it:

"It's a wonderful, wonderful occasion, and it's done so, so well," Prince Charles said.

"I remember so well, when I was small, I was always looking up at people with wonderful uniforms on, you know, and breast plates and egalettes and always wanting to pull swords out and so on," said Prince Charles. "It's so funny to see it happening, you know, and other generations all wanting to do the same thing."

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2008, 05:56:15 PM by slow west vultures » Logged

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
jebreject

« Reply #257 on: Feb 29, 2008, 06:05:38 PM »

Fuck that. The little tool should be used as a human bomb. Over privileged shit wants to defend queen and country, then strap the fucker to some semtec and launch him into space

You've no idea how much I wanted to express more or less this exact sentiment ever since I first heard the news but one of my New Year's resolutions was to stop wishing death on people as often as I do

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
alex

« Reply #258 on: Feb 29, 2008, 06:11:58 PM »

I hope that doesn't happen. The way he'd inevitably be heroicized were it to happen would be unbearable.
alex

« Reply #259 on: Feb 29, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »

also, the ballad by Westlife.
jebreject

« Reply #260 on: Feb 29, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »

I hope that doesn't happen. The way he'd inevitably be heroicized were it to happen would be unbearable.

Though you have to admit him dying like a dog in the mud is pretty appealing

alex

« Reply #261 on: Feb 29, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »

Like a true hero, Jeb, like a true hero who died for his country! Dulce et decorum est and so on and all that.
alex

« Reply #262 on: Feb 29, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »

And Andrew:

i guess all i was saying is that the fact he was involved with all that doesn't mean that doing something respectable now is therefore nullified. but i guess that might not have been what you were saying, after all.

I think what's under contention is just whether what he's doing now can be considered "something respectable". Personally, I fail to see why it should be. It just seems like pretty dumb glorification of the military to me.

(edit: the dumb glorification was not directed at your post, in case it comes across that way, but at Harry and entourage)
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2008, 08:13:25 PM by alex » Logged
jebreject

« Reply #263 on: Mar 01, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »

Like a true hero, Jeb, like a true hero who died for his country! Dulce et decorum est and so on and all that.

So what you're saying is he needs to die of a drug overdose, or of a heartattack while fucking a transvestite prostitute?

dieblucasdie

« Reply #264 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:25:25 AM »

Only if there is a tape.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #265 on: Mar 01, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »

I think what's under contention is just whether what he's doing now can be considered "something respectable". Personally, I fail to see why it should be. It just seems like pretty dumb glorification of the military to me.

hey now, i didn't say what he was doing was "heroic" or anything. i wouldn't say so, although lots of people would. no, i just think it's respectable for him to get down in the trenches with all the working-class people who are doing the work for his overprivileged ass. i mean, assuming it's really been how it's being reported, and he really was living and working as any other soldier.

also, it's easier for me to say this because he's in afghanistan. if he were in iraq, i'd be more conflicted about it.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #266 on: Mar 01, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »

You don't think that was entirely, top to bottom, a publicity thing?  He goes to Afghanistan, then it's "leaked" that he's there and he has to leave the next day.  I know they said he's been there for weeks but I don't believe it.

Anyway, this post here is the most thought and words I've ever dedicated to the British royal family in my entire life and I doubt I'll give them this much of my time again.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
santaclaustral

« Reply #267 on: Mar 01, 2008, 11:56:04 AM »

now this is a point i can understand. his reasons may indeed have been some kind of weird slumming thing--though i personally think he would have been disabused of some of his notions about all that if he hadn't had the whistle blown on him, and had gotten a longer stay on the frontlines.

Less slumming (although I'm sure there's that), and more... "I'm so happy I finally get to go to a country full of brown people where I can live out my childhood dreams of military heroics and bringing order to their society. And if my presence on the frontline is dependent on a country full of brown people having their homes and lives and families wrecked, then what the fuck do I care so long as I get to wear my nice uniform and live my soldier dream?" 

There seems to be a complete lack of awareness on his part that a prerequisite of anyone, including him, being sent to the frontline is that a shitload of people, who didn't choose to have a warzone created in their gardens and parks and streets, are living in dreadful conditions. And those people aren't on a tour of duty from which they can return. 

I can understand that, if you have certain ideas about duty and the necessity of an army, then you might find a quiet happiness/fulfillment in doing that duty. But it should be tempered by regret that your presence as a soldier is necessary.

The chance to "do your duty" in a warzone should not be *celebrated* as though you've just been given a new bike for Christmas. And that's what Harry seems to be doing. So, yeah, fuck him right in the ear.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #268 on: Mar 01, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »

You don't think that was entirely, top to bottom, a publicity thing?  He goes to Afghanistan, then it's "leaked" that he's there and he has to leave the next day.  I know they said he's been there for weeks but I don't believe it.

actually, it leaked over a month ago in an australian women's magazine, but for some reason the mainstream media didn't catch it until drudge report published it.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #269 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »

I respect the move even though I'm not the man's biggest fan.  At least he's trying. eh?

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #270 on: Mar 01, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »

Oh I see.  I misunderstood and thought it was a publicity stunt, when really one of the multiple news organizations worldwide that was invited along to see the prince's gritty front-line deployment leaked the story ahead of the scheduled press conference date.

A hero indeed.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #271 on: Mar 01, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

Back in the day royalty used to lead their troops into battle. I think that unless Harry was charging down on some Taliban with a sabre in one hand and a bugle in the other, it wouldn't have counted anyway.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #272 on: Mar 01, 2008, 03:43:05 PM »

If he went after some dude holding an AK with a saber and a bugle I think I'd have to give him a few points for heart alone

think 'on the road.'
Wally

« Reply #273 on: Mar 01, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »

Only if that dude was a member of his family, particularly that asshole grandfather of his.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Good Intentions

« Reply #274 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »

Dozens are killed in latest fighting in Gazam, and Palestinians risk a 'shoah', warns Israeli deputy defence ministers.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: EXTRA EXTRA! Post all about it! (new news thread)
Jump to: