Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 27, 2014, 04:44:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 58 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Cell phones!  (Read 42933 times)
morgan

« on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »

Hello, friendly and helpful people!

As you all know, I'm currently living in Korea, and have been here for the past couple of years.  You've probably also noticed by now that I'm going back to the States very soon.  Thirteen days from now, to be exact!  As I'm nearing my moment of re-entry, I figured it would be a good idea to ask you all for some advice regarding cell phones.  I still have my (very, very) old one (seriously old, I'm talking at least five years), but I won't be using it when I get home because I noticed it was a bit crazy when I was visiting the States last winter and used it as a pay-as-you-go phone.

Anyway, I want to get a cell phone as soon as I get home.  I'll probably do it within a day or two of my arrival, honestly -- I'll be at the mall shopping for Christmas presents anyway, so why not?  Here is what I want: A phone.  Text messaging is nice.  Other than that, I don't need anything.  Nothing fancy.  I don't need a camera, an mp3 player, a device on which I can surf the internet, an instant messaging tool, or any of those other things that would be, for me, a complete waste of money and time.  I just want a phone.  Do those exist anymore?  I'd ideally like to pay $60/month or less, and I don't think that is unreasonable considering that all I want is a phone.  My last plan was $49.99/month for 500 anytime minutes and free nights and weekends.  I was pretty damn happy with that.  I am a simple girl.

Therefore, here are my questions:

- Which company would you recommend?  Is there a certain plan you'd recommend within that company?  How do you feel about the current company you're with?  Any horror stories or stories of happy customer service?  I was with Cingular before, and didn't have any problems with them at all.  I'm thinking of going with them again, but I've heard a lot of good things about Verizon.  Thoughts, ideas?
- Which phone would you recommend?  The only phone I've ever had and used frequently was a Nokia, and I was extremely happy with it -- it was simple yet reliable, and got better reception than any of my friends' fancy expensive phones.  Can anyone verify that Nokia is still making awesome products?  My old phone was one of those "free with a mail-in rebate" phones and, like I said, was awesome.

So...I'd be really grateful if anyone could give me any advice that they think might help.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008, 10:45:09 PM by morgan » Logged
Illest Waffle

« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

quit being such a jew and get an iphone.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:18:52 AM »

1)  Verizon
2)  The most expensive phone that you can get for free with a plan

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
jebreject

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »

1) T-Mobile
2) What Blucas said

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:22:34 AM »

Yeah, T-Moblie would be my second choice

also if you want to do the prepaid/no-contract thing, T-Mobile has by far the best plans for that

morgan

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:39:07 AM »

I definitely don't want to do prepaid.  It's a total waste of money, assuming you want to talk on the phone for more than, say, 5 minutes a week.
girl

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »

Thirding (or whatever) T-Mobile. I'm really happy with them.

this is a story and you're not in it
heather marie

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »

I have Cingular/AT&T and have had no problems with them. I also have a Family Plan with my mom, dad and brother (we signed up for this like 3 years ago and I've just stuck with it because I pay $20/mo) and we have like 2000 anytime minutes, free mobile-to-mobile, free nights/weekends and a bajillion rollover minutes. If I didn't have the family plan, I don't know who I'd go with. I say talk to your friends back home and see who gets the best reception and so on.
maggiego

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »

AT&T as well, since like 2000. And I think paying a bit for a fancy phone is ok. You use it every day.

Hi, I see you're really good at Centipede.
alex

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:10:46 AM »

2)  The most expensive phone that you can get for free with a plan

That makes no sense at all for someone who is explicitly not interested in having a phone that can take pictures, play music, surf the internet, brew coffee, or function as an electric toothbrush.

But yeah, that's the kind of phone I'd like to have too. My current phone (a Motofone), fortunately, does none of these things, but the phone book and text messaging functions are a drag, so I wouldn't recommend it.
clare

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:14:20 AM »

Can't help much with phone companies or plans (though the bloke used to live in Chicago and had phones with T-Mobile and AT&T, and one of them sucked, but I can't remember which one). However, I reckon Nokia's phones are still good, if you just want a phone. I have an ancient Nokia (7˝yo, that still works well, but I've replaced the battery once, and it needs it again). I like it because it's not so small it gets lost in my handbag (sorry, purse) but it's not a total brick either. Nokia hardware seems, to me, to be pretty solid, and if I was needing to replace my old handset I'd almost certainly go with the Nokia again. (though mainly because the iPhone isn't very well supported here yet). In the 7˝ years I've had my handset the bloke (who is admittedly harder on things than I am) has been through about 5 handsets, and trashed most of them, except the Nokia where he changed providers and it was locked to the old one...

Good luck with your move back! and let us know how the phone thing works out for you. Have you not had a cell in Korea, or is it not worth it/possiible to bring it back?

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
alistarr*

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:22:40 AM »

round my way, at least, you'd be hard pressed to get a phone that doesn't have at least three functions you have no use for. go for something that looks nice and has a nice user interface. if you can try it first, see how easy you find moving between menus and how fast that happens. there's nothing worse than a lame operationg system on a complicated phone (and almost all phones are complicated).

i don't know anything about what brands are available to you over there but my favourite operating systems are the sony ericsson ones - really intuitive to me and very nice looking. however, their phones have a reputation for being a bit dodgily built (mine broke once also), so you know.
Maaik

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:34:47 AM »

I exchanged my ancient Nokia for a newer model and it's a good little phone.  It's this one:

I got it mostly cos I didn't want a flip phone and I don't need a damn camera in it or anything.  My plan is through AT&T and it's decent.

I need anne the man lessons
morgan

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:46:12 AM »

That phone looks great!  Really similar to my old one, but, uh, not so old and ugly.

I actually do have a cell phone here, but I never use it.  It was given to me a few weeks ago by someone who wanted to be able to contact me, for some reason.  I don't even ever turn it on, so...there that is.  The new phones here are super expensive and I probably wouldn't be able to use them back home, plus I just don't have any need for a cell phone here.  No one calls me, and I basically have no social life.

Thanks for your advice, everyone!  Keep it coming!  Looks like T-Mobile is in the lead, I guess.  I should probably try to figure out which company has the best service in Madison and Philadelphia, too. 

I don't want to sound like a snob or something -- I don't think it's stupid for people to pay a bit for a fancy phone -- it's just not something I'm interested in doing.  If paying a lot would get me a phone which was more durable and got better reception, I'd be happy to do it.  Unfortunately, that doesn't always seem to be the case, and since I'm not interested in the many features being advertised for fancy phones, I don't really see the point in personally paying a lot for one. 

I'm thinking I'll probably try to go with a Nokia again.  And yeah, looking at the phone and trying it out first is a great idea!  I probably wouldn't have done that.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:24:48 AM »

yeah asks your friends what's best in the area you'll be using it.  Montana only has verizon and cingular, so therefore I have verizon, and they're not bad at all. 

I know you don't need all of the bells and whistles, but you may as well get the best phone that they'll give you for free like blucas said.

Verizon is really great for that.  When the gf renewed her contract, she got one of these for free

While it does some things you don't need, its
a. nice looking
b. Very sturdy
c. flips open so you don't have to constantly put your phone on lock or call people accidentally
d. having a camera phone is fun for those moments when you want to take a picture of something funny and then immediately send it to all of your friends (ie mislabeled things and naughty words etc)

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:50:07 AM »

Just don't go with Sprint for the love of christ they are possibly the worst telecom company still in existence

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »

Just don't go with Sprint for the love of christ they are possibly the worst telecom company still in existence

qft

morgan

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »

Duly noted.
ellaguru

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:38:36 AM »

I definitely don't want to do prepaid.  It's a total waste of money, assuming you want to talk on the phone for more than, say, 5 minutes a week.

I just downgraded my phone to prepaid, this morning. However, I do not want to talk on the phone for more than 5 minutes a week.

Well, actually, it's more that I work from home, so my boss pays for my home phone and I don't need a mobile phone for more than five minutes a week.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
diesel_powered

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and say T-mobile as well. I've had bad customer service with Sprint and AT&T.

As far as phones go, I used to be all up on Nokia but it seems like they've fallen by the wayside in terms of features and stuff. I got a RAZR a couple years ago and I'm totally happy with it. It does exactly what you want it to do and isn't that big or expensive. Don't they go for like $50-free these days?

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
dieblucasdie

« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »

I actually just got a verizon plan, they were $9.99 with the contract.

diesel_powered

« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »

Well there you go.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
kadiekatRN

« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »

The boy and I have a family plan through verizon.  It's about $79/month for 700 anytime minutes, free mobile-to-mobile w/in Verizon, and a texting plan (way more than we need).  It works well, although we get poor reception inside our house.  Of course, friends with other cell phone companies also have the same problem in our house.

I have a motorola Krzr, the boy has a Razr.  So far no problems, although the boy cracked the screen on his immediately, but it is still fully functional.  He also is very adept at breaking things.  My phone was free, and his was like $20.  They both have cameras, and mine has an mp3 player that I never use.  A camera phone is nice to have, even if you don't think you'll use it.  I don't send picture messages or anything, but I used it at times when i wanted to take a picture and didn't have a camera handy.  My phone also has bluetooth.  I don't use the earpiece nonsense, but I use the bluetooth to send photos to my computer.
The_Tourist

« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »

times when i wanted to take a picture and didn't have a camera handy.  My phone also has bluetooth.  I don't use the earpiece nonsense, but I use the bluetooth to send photos to my computer.

qft

i basically make the occasional call, text message, and do the camera/bluetooth thing. i have an LG phone and like the interface/menus and haven't had any problems with it. i have verizon, which is a few dollars more than the other companies it seems, but my girlfriend has it, which means free calls to her, so that's why i got it.

i've never had any problems with verizon. i had t-mobile before and had no problems with them either. i spent about 4 hours on the phone with at&t wireless yesterday for my boss and it was a nightmare.

we have the money for missiles and fun
silentsigh89

« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

I liked my LG phone! It was cheap and I dropped it pretty much every day and it never died on me.

Also, I'd like to support AT&T ! I am also on a family plan and it is cheap and gives us a ton of free minutes. I also don't know what it's like as far as a single person goes, but it's been great for me. (AND they have a bunch of stores in philly. woo woo.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Cell phones!
Jump to: