Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 19, 2014, 03:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658016 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Cell phones!  (Read 41611 times)
milly balgeary

« Reply #450 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »

What's funniest of all, is the person you'll talk to is ME... and there will be a strange organ playing in the background...strange music box nigga! shuh!

Thermofusion

« Reply #451 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »

FALLING DOWN LIKE MICHAEL DOUG-A-LAS WITH THE ROGUISHNESS

triple paisley minimum
milly balgeary

« Reply #452 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »

See once they open my liiiid imma give it to em

Thermofusion

« Reply #453 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »

CHEA CHEA CHEA

You my favorite Tecca Neena fan dogg, even if you like Brotha Lynch more

triple paisley minimum
milly balgeary

« Reply #454 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »

Lynch got that song meat dawg. That shit is the BEST. Tech don't got songs like that.

Thermofusion

« Reply #455 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:22:19 PM »

MEAT is delish, ain't gonna lie with none of that. One of the best.

triple paisley minimum
milly balgeary

« Reply #456 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »

What's Brotha up to these days?

mountmccabe

« Reply #457 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:31:29 PM »

According to 3G watchdog I've used just under 3 GB this billing cycle. This is on an "unlimited" data plan.

That's really strange and yeah, fucking hilarious. When I switched to 4G I had to move off the old Verizon unlimited and am now paying the same amount but for 4 GB/month. And they're bugging you about using LESS than that.

I guess this means they likely got their robots calling the users with the most data usage each month or something, seeing if they can guilt/scare/confuse them into cutting down.

You know a pancake?
Thermofusion

« Reply #458 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »

I called the number they provided and never got beyond waiting muzak, so I dunno. You're right though, it's a lot of fuss over 3 measley gigs. Most of it's probably from when I'm out driving around, and it's going to take more than robo-calls to scare me into giving up Stitcher for *shudder* local radio.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #459 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »

What's Brotha up to these days?

He's guesting on a few tracks on the three E-40 albums dropping next month and has some proper solo stuff coming out later in the year! That's all I know.

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #460 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »

Well I called the number, had a funny series of conversations with "Douglas", "Kristen", "Erick with a C and K" and "Dave", listed in relative order of farcical unintelligibility. They informed me that my account has been flagged for "abnormally excessive data usage", although no one I spoke to could provide me with my actual data usage for this billing cycle. I asked what the limit on my unlimited data plan was, and they told me that there is no limit. I asked why my account was flagged. Didn't get a clear answer from any of them. "Kristen" told me that I "technically cannot download or stream only browse", then when I asked if that was in the service agreement she said "no." "Douglas" advised me that I may be "connected all day to Facebook or watch many many Youtube videos", and told me that if I didn't close out of the Facebook app after using it, then the "millions and millions of people" who use Facebook would be "updating to my phone and causing problems to the network." "Kristen" inquired if "I hear internet radio", to which I replied "honestly, babe, I hear a lot of things."

Anyway, what this is probably really about: they kept reminding me not to use my phone as a modem, and I gradually picked up that this was the subtext to these silly conversations. Although I didn't own up to it, I have in fact tethered my phone a few times to my netbook while out in the middle of BFE. It's been minimal, like once or twice a week to send emails to the company I'm doing contract work for, and I'd be surprised if I've even gone over 100 MBs doing that. So, I believe they've figured out I'm tethering but don't want outright to accuse me of it. I use EasyTether instead of the native Android tethering thing. Is that why I'm getting caught? Is there a way to tether without getting caught, especially if I'm barely using it anyway?

triple paisley minimum
Chet

« Reply #461 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »

i have been tethering my phone for a couple of months, using the wi-fi hotspot app on my HTC, which does it wirelessly. although t-mobile say tethering is strictly prohibited, i am able to do it and nothing has shown up on my bill and i haven't been warned about it.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
elpollodiablo

« Reply #462 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:14:04 PM »

Did they actually throttle your down speed, or is this all just passive aggressive grousing?

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #463 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »

They've threatened to terminate my service. This was a "warning call".

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #464 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

Fucking hell! Which carrier?

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #465 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:21:47 PM »

Let me know if you do find a way to tether without being caught. BUT, you have the SGS2 right? and you're tethering a netbook to it? How much more screen space you get on a netbook than that SGS2, an inch or two? I mean shit if you're just emailing what's the difference?

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Thermofusion

« Reply #466 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »

Well I'm using a rooted Sprint SGS2 on Virgin Mobile, which operates on the Sprint network. So, you know, maybe I'm the one not acting in good faith here. Then again, I'm maybe using 3-4 gigs a month right now according to the 3G Watchdog App, which really doesn't seem like a whole lot on a purported "unlimited" data plan. If I were, like, tethering and seeding torrents that'd be another thing altogether.

x-post Jim I use the netbook to connect to automatic tank gauges and download and email (very, very tiny) reports and occasionally upload new firmware, and it's easier if I can do it all on one machine, using my phone as a modem when I have to.

triple paisley minimum
coldforge

« Reply #467 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »

Isn't Sprint currently running commercials where they advertise that they're the only truly unlimited network, the only one that has no limits and never throttles?

l'era del terzo mondo.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #468 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »

I know Sprint says no tethering, and instead wants an extra $25/mo for "mobile hotspot" service.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Thermofusion

« Reply #469 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »

Yeah, like I said, while playing customer service pinball, it became evident that they somehow knew I was tethering (I guess there's an automated thing in their system that looks for signs of it, whatever those signs may be) and that was the real reason they were calling me.

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #470 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

Buh. All this just reinforces the fact that my grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan is probably not long for this world. But then again they've been saying that for more than a year.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #471 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »

I'd cling to that shit as long as you can, homes. I was generally pretty happy with Cingular/AT&T.

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #472 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »

This thread caused me to go and analyze my last year of data usage and lo and behold I never went above about 1.8GB a month. In December 2010 and '11 I spent a considerable amount of time in NYC and my data usage spiked due to not always having reliable wifi access. During Dec. '10 I was actually even watching Netflix movies on my phone because we were staying in this Harlem sublet with no wifi at all, and that was the highest usage per month in that 12 month period (the 1.8GB). I use my phone a shitload, but mostly for browsing (excepting Stitcher). But then again I don't tether mine because I stopped jailbreaking. I could actually save myself $5/mo. by going down to a 2GB tier, but I'll never let go of that unlimited plan simply on principle.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #473 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »

yeah when I was analyzing my usage to try to decide what plan would work best for me, it turned out that I never really used more than 300MB in a month with my old phone. But I also figured that with a fancier newer phone I might start using more so I went with unlimited data anyway.

and it turns out that most of my heavy data usage I do over wifi anyway 'cause it's faster.

Thermofusion

« Reply #474 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »

Ever since I started using 3G Watchdog on my last phone/carrier, I've averaged between 2 and 4 gigs a month, but I use TuneIn and Stitcher for hours on end every day. And I think I mentioned this previously, but on my last phone the WiFi would mysteriously turn itself off after a short while--resulting in, like, TuneIn or Stitcher running for 6-7 hours on 3G every night, 'cause at the time I was in the habit of falling asleep listening to stuff

triple paisley minimum
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Cell phones!
Jump to: